5.0 out of 5 stars Best is last!
I read this book in french. It is the first part of a trilogy. This is not your "usual" thriller. The characters are very important and the author takes his time to present each one of them with the location in the first 100 pages. So the reader must not be impatient. The first book has a story in itself. The second book has the same main characters but the plot is...
Published on Sept. 14 2008 by Dragonfly

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy to be done this book!
Published on Feb. 20 2012 by Tom Turvey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..., Jan. 25 2013
Pat the cat - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
This was an excellent book...it's much better than the movie. It was a very interesting experience to read this book because, when I picked it up, I had forgotten that I had seen the movie a few years prior. As I read the first few chapters I kept thinking that it was familiar until bang, it hit me that I'd seen the movie (which was complicated, hard to follow because of the odd Sweedish names, dark, too much emphasis on Salander's dealing with her guardian). So, while it kind of spoiled some of the fun, I found the book so much better than the movie that it was still a very intriguing suspense. The ethical dilemma that Blomkvist faces toward the end of the book is a neat twist and so is the trick that Salander pulls. I look forward to reading the next book and see what happens to the Salander character (i.e., the girl with the dragon tattoo). That said, one of the comments on the book's jacket said that it was a "sexy thriller" -- what a moron...the sex in this book cannot be described as sexy unless you're a pervert...it's cruel, it's controlling and only very marginally fulfilling...talk about missing the point...It's a very intelligent story and I'm still amazed that I found the story of such a creepy/dysfunctional family to be entertaining... This author was so gifted...I give it 5 stars (excellent).

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, Jan. 8 2013
Murray Macrae (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
This book started off dry. It was not what I expected. Then I turned the page and couldn't stop reading. Glad I kept reading! Well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, Jan. 4 2013
I enjoyed this book so much I got one for my dad. He really enjoyed it and he got the rest in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book, Jan. 4 2013
Saw both the Swedish and American movies before reading the book. The movies are good but the book as far superior. The first 100 pages is a bit sluggish but then it gets to that point that you just can't put it down. The next 2 books in the series are even better.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Dec 10 2012
This book is twisted as hell. I never expected the ending. But nonetheless is a good read, if you got time, it's definite a buy

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can be said about this gripping novel?, July 4 2012
PT Cruiser (West Coast) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
After reading so many positive reviews about this book and being attracted to it because it was written by a Swedish author, I decided to see for myself if it was all it was hyped up to be. It was. By the end of the second chapter I was hooked and read through the book in just a couple of days. I read this book on my Kindle and immediately downloaded Stieg Larsson's second book, The Girl Who Played with Fire (Vintage). The book had all the features that I like in a novel, good character development, twists and turns in the plot, and a character who is a computer hacker. (What can I say, I like characters who can get information through devious means.) Lisbeth Salander, the hacker, was my favorite character in the book because she was such a different and fascinating person who we only find out bits and pieces about at a time.

After reading this book, I just had to see the movie. It was nice to see what the producers thought the characters would look like but there were so many details of the book that were missing that it was kind of disappointing. The one thing I did like about the movie was that it showed the country and scenes where the story was to have taken place. It's nice, while reading the second book, to have an idea of what the characters could look like.

There is a huge cast of characters and at times it was difficult to keep them all straight. I found myself referring back to the family tree that was included at the beginning. The book also mentioned a lot of cities and towns that were unfamiliar to me and it was a little difficult to keep track of them all because they were Swedish names. Looking some of them up on Google Earth helped to put them in context. One word of warning: the story is violent in many parts and people who find graphic details of that type of thing objectionable or upsetting would probably not find this book easy to read.

The writing was excellent and I was sorry to learn that Stieg Larsson died soon after signing a contract for this book and his two others. The world lost an amazing author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book arrived in perfect condition, May 26 2012
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I have not read the book yet, but the book itself is in perfect condition. $10 -- such a great deal for a hard copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful writing!, Feb. 28 2012
C. Jones "reggiesgirl2" (NB Canada) - See all my reviews
I cannot say enough good things about this book. The storyline is interesting, the characters are very well filled out, the suspense is crackling, what more do you need? I actually watched all three movies before I read the books, which is something I don't normally do. I don't like knowing the ending when I'm reading a suspense novel; however, a friend of mine recommended the books so highly and said they have so much more in them than the movie, I decided to read them anyway and I am so happy that I did.

Even if you've watched the Swedish movies or the one American version, read the book! It gives so much more background and detail than either of the movies. Once you've read this book, you'll want to go on to the other two in the trilogy, and they are also worth reading.

My biggest regret about these books is knowing that the author died and there are no other books written by him. What a shame for the reading community.

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy to be done this book!, Feb. 20 2012
Tom Turvey "Priscilla Turvey" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I have been waiting a long time to read this book. Unfortunately I expected to be able to just pick it up and read it fairly quickly. This was however, not what happened. I hit a very hard brick wall upon opening it and starting to read. It was a horrendous fight to read this book all the way through. The author was so detailed in his descriptions to set the scene and get the story under way that I and the ladies who were reading it along with me really had to fight hard to not give up on reading this book in its entirety. The detailed content in the first 200 pages give or take were the hardest to swallow. Once the story picked up at the point where Mikael is working for Vagner and really into into the police reports and interviewing the family, then it was a bit easier and more fluid to read through.

The first half though caused me to have to take numerous breaks from reading the book because the tedious and boring sort of writing style it was extremely difficult to swallow and read at any sort of a pace. Coming from someone who reads very quickly, this book took several days longer than it should have for it's size and topic.

That being said the story was very good, despite it's writing style and descriptive over kill problems. I do endeavour to read the other two books in the series. Unfortunately they are also written in this exhaustive and boring manner until the story pick up and zooms along in the later half of the books. I plan on approaching them with more time to read them in so I can take my time and take breaks and not feel rushed and forced to buckle down so hard to push through it. I recommend having other books on the go so you can interchange between them to help you be able to read them and not feel buried under mountains of verbal diarrhoea.

I am happy to finally be done this book, but I am happy that I read it as it's a great story.

For these reasons I score the book 3/5. The movie was great, but having read the book now, they missed out on SO much it's actually quite disappointing upon reflection. That being said I do still like the movie, while not as much as I did before knowing the complete story. Which I expect to be the case with the other two movies of the Swedish renditions.

Priscilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, Feb. 10 2012
Mercedes (SK, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Paperback)
I loved this book. Some sections were very difficult to read, so it is not for the feint of heart. I mean difficult as in hear-wrenching, not particularly challenging language-wise.

It did start off slow, and at first I was thinking "What's all the fuss about these books, this is boring" but a friend told me that it did pick up, so I hung in there. After the first few chapters, it did really pick up, and by the middle I could scarcely put it down. I was reading it on the bus, at the gym, between classes, basically any time I had 5 minutes (<3 Kindle). At the end, I stayed up way too late to finish it, was tired the next day, but well worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Paperback - July 5 2011)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00