5.0 out of 5 stars All encompassing eye opening look at personal care products
I've tried in the last few years to clean up the way I eat - less processed and more whole foods. It's absolutely helped with some of my health concerns. But I picked up a copy of There's Lead in Your Lipstick by Gillian Deacon and realized I really hadn't given much thought to all the personal care products I use.

Gill Deacon was reading Stacy Malkan's 'Not...
Published on April 25 2011 by Luanne Ollivier

2.0 out of 5 stars Redundant and not well researched
I read this book as part of our book club. I, too, am a cancer survivor. I am also a specialist physician who sees cancer everyday. We buy organic for our family and try to buy 'natural' body/cleaning products.
Published on Feb. 22 2012 by MomDoc

5.0 out of 5 stars All encompassing eye opening look at personal care products, April 25 2011
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)

Gill Deacon was reading Stacy Malkan's 'Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of Beauty' while waiting to have an ultrasound to help diagnose her possible breast cancer. It is in Chapter 6 - "Pinkwashing" that the following appears...

"More American women have died of breast cancer in the last 20 years than the number of Americans killed in World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War combined." "Many of the big cosmetics corporations that position themselves as leaders in the struggle to eradicate breast cancer - holding annual fundraisers and pink-ribbon campaigns - are in fact, makers and marketers of products that contain many ingredients known or suspected to cause breast cancer."
Deacon's diagnosis was positive. There's Lead in Your Lipstick was started before her diagnosis and finished after her treatment.

"This is not a cancer survivor's rant against the chemical industry. This book is simply a guide for all those who want to be cautious and considered when choosing the products and ingredients they use in, on and around their bodies. So when I read, and share with you on these pages, that an ingredient is linked to cancer and other health concerns, I don't take it lightly. Neither, dare I suggest, should any of us."
Most of us read food labels quite carefully, now that the ingredients and percentages are listed. But how many of us take the time to investigate what's in our shampoo, make up and deodorant etc. before using it? I didn't. After reading Deacon's book, I won't ever take for granted that 'somebody' is making sure that these products are safe for us. They're not.

There's Lead in Your Lipstick is an absolutely fascinating, eye opening, educated look at every type product we use to clean, buff, touch up and make up our bodies. Toxic ingredients and ingredients to look out for are described in depth. Many words used on labels and in advertising aren't necessarily what we think. Natural does not equal organic. Indeed I found myself in the bathroom, book in hand, scouring the labels of my shampoo and body wash. (very scary...) Formaldehyde is banned in Canada, Japan and the European Union but is deemed safe for use in cosmetics in the United States, despite the US EPA classifying it as a carcinogen.

Deacon provides alternatives - organic and natural suppliers websites with an in depth review of each. I am checking out these lists for sure. She also provides 'recipes' for many products you can make yourself - facial masks and scrubs for example.

The title? The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics found 61% of lipsticks tested contained detectable levels of lead, but none included lead as an ingredient on the label.

There's Lead in Your Lipstick is an excellent resource - one I will be referring to often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should buy this book, Sept. 9 2011
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
Everyone should read this book - not just women. It's astonishing what chemicals are in our personal care products and our everyday cleaning products. This book details what chemicals you should be looking out for when purchasing any personal care products. Certain ingredients are known carcinogens; others are hormone disruptors. Some ingredients produce allergies in certain people and most of the chemicals persist in our bodies. Gillian Deacon gives alternatives for consumers that contain only natural ingredients and essentials oils for fragrance. We are cautioned to be our own advocates and not to trust the big companies that they are using ingredients that are safe for us. Beware 'green washing'!Also, check out the web-site 'Skin-Deep.org' to check if the products you are using are really safe and what the long almost unpronounceable ingredients are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of information!!!, March 21 2011
Malgorzata Kaczmarska "malgosia" (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
Like the first publication by Gillian Deacon, (Green for Life) this book is a great source of information about the use of harmful chemicals in everyday products, but also lists the good, green products and "Do It Yourself" recipes. Written in a simple language. A must-read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars interetsing read!, Jan. 29 2013
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
I heard about book on radio when author was being interviewed. I've made many of the homemade remedies. Bought my sister a book as well. She is equally enjoying hers. An important read for living in our chemical laden society.

5.0 out of 5 stars A eyeopener!, Jan. 19 2014
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and have since used many of the suggested alternatives to those with toxins. Everyone should read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well researched, May 20 2013
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
This is my reference from now on. Great book. I will use it to explore other options to improve my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must to read, Jan. 9 2013
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
I love that book! and this is a great idea for a green gift .
It will help you to make a better choice when purchasing all kinds of products and learn about the chemicals to avoid. There are recipes for making your own products and referrals to many green products manufacturers.I have learned so much with that book! I wish my mom had known about it when we were young to keep us away from all the toxic products we have been using during all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew?, Jan. 8 2013
Diane Allen (Cornwallis, NS, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
This is a book I bought for myself, then bought more copies to give as gifts. There is a wealth of information inside about ingredients in products we use every day in our personal care routines. Not just lipstick or make up, but body care items like shampoo, deodorant, body wash are profiled. Lots of ingredients you don't want on your body or in your home. Love also her detailed ideas and recipes for replacement products. This book is well researched and written for everyone to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Redundant and not well researched, Feb. 22 2012
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
I felt like the author didn't research the book well (at all). In my opinion, it behooves an author who's writing non-fiction to ensure her references are solid. I tried to look up a couple of her so-called references (studies she quoted)- I couldn't. No mention of these on pubmed, the online reference bible for medical scientists. The second beef I had with this book- it was really really redundant. Yes already, we understand that it's been shown that many chemicals in body products have estrogen analogs. I felt like this was 'mentioned' about 20 times in the book- we get it!!!
I think there is some good in this book and I like the general idea (hence the two stars rather than just one). That said, it could have been condensed to a $3 pamphlet and I would have loved being spared the opinion, and rather supplied with the facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very scary, April 25 2011
This review is from: There's Lead In Your Lipstick (Paperback)
I have to admit that this book scared me to death. If even half of what she says is true (and I'm sure it is) then we are in big trouble. The information is easy to read, laid out in a useful manner and her end of chapter tables and shopping lists are very helpful. I would recommend that everyone read ths book so as to be able to make more informed choices.

ARRAY(0xbb52b1bc)

There's Lead In Your Lipstick
There's Lead In Your Lipstick by Gillian Deacon (Paperback - Dec 28 2010)
CDN$ 26.00 CDN$ 16.30