march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
I've tried in the last few years to clean up the way I eat - less processed and more whole foods. It's absolutely helped with some of my health concerns. But I picked up a copy of There's Lead in Your Lipstick by Gillian Deacon and realized I really hadn't given much thought to all the personal care products I use.

Gill Deacon was reading Stacy Malkan's 'Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of Beauty' while waiting to have an ultrasound to help diagnose her possible breast cancer. It is in Chapter 6 - "Pinkwashing" that the following appears...

"More American women have died of breast cancer in the last 20 years than the number of Americans killed in World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War combined." "Many of the big cosmetics corporations that position themselves as leaders in the struggle to eradicate breast cancer - holding annual fundraisers and pink-ribbon campaigns - are in fact, makers and marketers of products that contain many ingredients known or suspected to cause breast cancer."
Deacon's diagnosis was positive. There's Lead in Your Lipstick was started before her diagnosis and finished after her treatment.

"This is not a cancer survivor's rant against the chemical industry. This book is simply a guide for all those who want to be cautious and considered when choosing the products and ingredients they use in, on and around their bodies. So when I read, and share with you on these pages, that an ingredient is linked to cancer and other health concerns, I don't take it lightly. Neither, dare I suggest, should any of us."
Most of us read food labels quite carefully, now that the ingredients and percentages are listed. But how many of us take the time to investigate what's in our shampoo, make up and deodorant etc. before using it? I didn't. After reading Deacon's book, I won't ever take for granted that 'somebody' is making sure that these products are safe for us. They're not.

There's Lead in Your Lipstick is an absolutely fascinating, eye opening, educated look at every type product we use to clean, buff, touch up and make up our bodies. Toxic ingredients and ingredients to look out for are described in depth. Many words used on labels and in advertising aren't necessarily what we think. Natural does not equal organic. Indeed I found myself in the bathroom, book in hand, scouring the labels of my shampoo and body wash. (very scary...) Formaldehyde is banned in Canada, Japan and the European Union but is deemed safe for use in cosmetics in the United States, despite the US EPA classifying it as a carcinogen.

Deacon provides alternatives - organic and natural suppliers websites with an in depth review of each. I am checking out these lists for sure. She also provides 'recipes' for many products you can make yourself - facial masks and scrubs for example.

The title? The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics found 61% of lipsticks tested contained detectable levels of lead, but none included lead as an ingredient on the label.

There's Lead in Your Lipstick is an excellent resource - one I will be referring to often.
on September 9, 2011
Everyone should read this book - not just women. It's astonishing what chemicals are in our personal care products and our everyday cleaning products. This book details what chemicals you should be looking out for when purchasing any personal care products. Certain ingredients are known carcinogens; others are hormone disruptors. Some ingredients produce allergies in certain people and most of the chemicals persist in our bodies. Gillian Deacon gives alternatives for consumers that contain only natural ingredients and essentials oils for fragrance. We are cautioned to be our own advocates and not to trust the big companies that they are using ingredients that are safe for us. Beware 'green washing'!Also, check out the web-site 'Skin-Deep.org' to check if the products you are using are really safe and what the long almost unpronounceable ingredients are.
on April 25, 2011
I have to admit that this book scared me to death. If even half of what she says is true (and I'm sure it is) then we are in big trouble. The information is easy to read, laid out in a useful manner and her end of chapter tables and shopping lists are very helpful. I would recommend that everyone read ths book so as to be able to make more informed choices.
on July 15, 2011
This book has quickly become a well-used reference in our home.

In a practical and hopeful manner, the author takes a potentially overwhelming topic and offers a reader-friendly guide through some of the serious dangers and concerns associated with cosmetic chemicals.

However, it is not a "doom and gloom" book by any means. While informing us of what types of chemicals and products we should avoid, it presents helpful information of what we can do about it. Whether it is shampoo, make-up or shaving cream, Deacon provides the reader with healthier alternatives, including store bought (with both "high-end" and very affordable day-to-day options), as well as some fantastic "make it yourself" recipes.
on March 21, 2011
Like the first publication by Gillian Deacon, (Green for Life) this book is a great source of information about the use of harmful chemicals in everyday products, but also lists the good, green products and "Do It Yourself" recipes. Written in a simple language. A must-read!!!
on August 26, 2011
The book is well organized and sections of interest are easy to find. This is an invaluable resource for anyone who is looking for a more natural and chemical free lifestyle. I have switched to natural hair care 2 years ago and it took about that long to do the research and educate myself. I was happy to find the book that already contained suggestions for healthier product choices and some great home made recipes to start with for other areas of personal care. Great work!
on January 29, 2013
I heard about book on radio when author was being interviewed. I've made many of the homemade remedies. Bought my sister a book as well. She is equally enjoying hers. An important read for living in our chemical laden society.
on January 8, 2013
This is a book I bought for myself, then bought more copies to give as gifts. There is a wealth of information inside about ingredients in products we use every day in our personal care routines. Not just lipstick or make up, but body care items like shampoo, deodorant, body wash are profiled. Lots of ingredients you don't want on your body or in your home. Love also her detailed ideas and recipes for replacement products. This book is well researched and written for everyone to read.
on January 9, 2013
I love that book! and this is a great idea for a green gift .
It will help you to make a better choice when purchasing all kinds of products and learn about the chemicals to avoid. There are recipes for making your own products and referrals to many green products manufacturers.I have learned so much with that book! I wish my mom had known about it when we were young to keep us away from all the toxic products we have been using during all these years.
on December 13, 2011
I found the information in this book to be invaluable. It is comprehensive and laid out in well-defined sections, making it an easy reference guide. I have given this as a gift to my nearest and dearest. Well-done!