4.0 out of 5 stars Love Lavinia
Ursula Le Guin is one of those writers who I'll read any day. In this novel, I was hoping for more of the mysticism that's present in her YA series, but this is historical fiction at its best.

Lavinia is the King's daughter who Aeneas fights to claim in Vergil's The Aeneid. Le Guin brings her alive.

Great book.
Published on April 21 2008 by SoMisguided.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit
Published on July 23 2008 by A. Gavritsas

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Lavinia, April 21 2008

Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A strong voice, Oct. 7 2009
This review is from: Lavinia: A Novel (Paperback)
Ursula LeGuin bettered my writing through her inspiring book "Steering the Craft". Lavinia is the first of her novels that I read. Now I want to read everything she wrote, just for the pleasure of hearing her words, her thoughts, her voice. In Lavinia, she has made a story from the mythology sound contemporaneous. Her strong female protagonist tells her story as if it were happening now. She succeeds in creating intimacy with the readers. Emotions can be felt. The writing is so clean, I wonder which words could be taken out. I wish to write like this one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, moving, brilliantly executed, June 8 2009
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lavinia (Hardcover)
I was not sure what to expect from Lavinia. When I started reading it, I admit I found it difficult to get in to, and I also found it strange that the character of Lavinia *knows* she is a character in a poem, rather than a real person. (This sounds bizarre I know, but Le Guin manages to pull this idea off, and brilliantly.)

But although it started off slowly for me, in the end, I was deeply impressed by the book. It moved me, it intrigued me, and furthermore, the ending is truly one of most magnificent I have ever read. It is perfect, and it left me absolutely in tears because it was so beautiful and sad. (Yes, this is ultimately a sad book, but haunting and beautiful as well.)

I also found it fascinating to see this glimpse--albeit one from Le Guin's imagination, not necessarily from history--of how the people living in Italy prior to Rome's founding may have lived. This is not a time in history that you hear much about, because simply, not much is known about it. Le Guin created her own semi-mythological version of ancient Italy based mostly on Virgil's epic poem. She states in her afterword that the people of that time and place likely were not as sophisticated and advanced as she portrayed them, but that's all right. I like her version of ancient Italy, especially the religion, and I enjoyed spending time there.

Lavinia will be one of my most memorable reads of 2009. I highly recommend it to Le Guin fans, to anyone interested in ancient Roman history, or to admirers of Virgil.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit, July 23 2008
A. Gavritsas "book-oholic" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lavinia (Hardcover)
I was disappointed with this book even though I've read Vergil and love classical history. This story is so insipid I almost put it down. I finished it and would call it Le Guin's worst work. I have come to expect so much more from her. It was a very intriguing character to write about (hence the extra star) but failed for me to be a gripping story. I found I could care less about any of the characters who were all so predictable.

Yes, I'd call it a historical romance, too and file it under chick lit (which I don't read by the way despite being a "chick").

ARRAY(0xb1123414)

Lavinia
Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (Hardcover - April 10 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.53