5.0 out of 5 stars Life itself
Published on June 6 2005 by Challey

3.0 out of 5 stars The Color Purple Review
The Color Purple was a good and bad book for different reasons. Two reasons it was not a very good book is because the use of "local color", or regionalism, makes the book hard to read and because the book seemed very depressing, giving too much detail in some areas. One reason that I felt the book was good is because the book was composed entirely of letters written by...
Published on May 14 2004 by Ashlee Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Life itself, June 6 2005
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
Likened to the books THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER and the bestseller BARK OF THE DOGWOOD, Walker's tour-de-force is a book (and movie) not to be missed. Built around the context of the heated time in American history when one man was not equal to another simply because of his race and no female was equal in any realm, THE COLOR PURPLE weaves a beautiful story of a African American woman.
Alice Walker breathes life into a young, poor, and ugly girl named Celie. Celie is an amazing character because while she has suffered more than most humans will in a life time, before she was twenty years old, she is not a victim. She is simply living her life, as she would live it any other way. She is simple yet complex, a deep character in a world of confusion.
The background and world that the story is told in reveals the time when whites ruled and blacks survived. The novel deals with racism at its core and prejudice as well, especially against women. This novel will never grow old, the story will always be fresh, because untill we have conquered racism, prejudice, and social injustice and created a world where all are free, black and white, male and female, there is a urgent need for this novel. It is as contemporary as when it was written and the message of this outstanding work is still as needed as always. This is something all of us, especially women, should take a look at. THE COLOR PURPLE will stand out as one of the top ten books of the last century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and insightful, Jan. 14 2011
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
Walker's story is both heartbreaking and triumphant. She shows amazing insight into human behaviour and presents her story in a unique format. I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 28 2014
awesome

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Nov. 6 2013
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
The shipping took a little bit longer than I expected but it was good overall. The package was hard to open as it was stuck to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, April 15 2013
Really enjoyed the writer's style. Well developed characters and storyline. Would recommend this to anyone wanting to curl up with a good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Both book AND movie are great--Don't miss this one!!!, March 8 2005
Our book club has recently taken up the "Southern literature" theme. The first book we read with this idea in mind was Lee's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. It was a natural and started the ball rolling. We next tackled Jackson McCrae's BARK OF THE DOGWOOD (the paperback version, which just came out) with its funny scenes and jaw-dropping themes. So, I supposed that THE COLOR PURPLE was our next logical choice. We loved the previous two and we loved PURPLE. PURPLE is a great book that describes the life of black women who were forced to do things against their own will. Discrimination was a big problem during the time that this book takes place. Women had no rights and black people were treated like slaves. The book opens up with a fourteen-year old girl named Celie talking about how she was raped by her own father and had two children that were taken away from her by her own father right after they were born. If I were in Celie's place I would've ran away from home or I would've done anything to stop by father from raping me. I think that rape is the worst thing that could happen to a girl and in this book rape is something that almost every women went through. Abuse and racism were also a major impact in this book. Many of the women in this book were raped or beaten by the men of the house. For example, Celie was raped not only by her father but also by the man that she was given away to. She was also forced to cook for him, clean the house, and take care of his children. Sofia was beaten by her husband, Harpo, but she soon got tired of it and decided to leave him. Most women couldn't even work just because they were females and others were treated like slaves just because they were black. Sofia was a brave black woman in this book who didn't let anyone tell her what to do. She insulted a white woman once and was put in jail just for that. She couldn't see her children while she was in jail and when she got out of jail she was forced to live with the white woman as her maid. I don't think it's fair that white people were able to put a black person in jail just for insulting them but black people couldn't' do the same. Through out the entire book Celie was kept away from her only sister, Nettie. Women had no power and there was nothing that Celie could do to write to her sister or see her. She never even knew about her two children that she once had until one day she received a letter from her sister and was finally reunited with her sister and her two children. This is a great book describing the hard and cruel lives that black women lived because they had no freedom. I believe that women should've been treated equally. I don't think it's fair that people were discriminated because of the color of their skin or their gender. This book was good because it had a good plot and it was interesting at all times. I like the way the book is written because it's written in a form of a diary and the words that are used actually sound like a black person speaks. I'm glad that the lifestyle has now changed and women can now work, get and education, and be independent. I just can't recommend this novel enough. Would also suggest you try the McCrae (Children's Corner") and the proverbial "To Kill a Mockingbird." All are great, but read the Alice Walker first!!!
Also recommended: CHILDREN'S CORNER by McCrae and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent book!, Feb. 2 2005
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
This is the most magnificent books I have read. Filled with sadness and turmoil, so full of truth....so determined. I came from a life of abuse (child). Though I have read mostly memoirs like NIGHTMARES ECHO, I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS and BEAUTY FOR ASHES to try and help aide in the healing process. I have found that this book COLOR PURPLE has also helped me in so many ways to understand the feelings that go on inside someone that comes from abuse. This is truly a page turner. So Magnificent.

5.0 out of 5 stars How could anyone NOT like this book!, July 24 2004
By A Customer
Are some people crazy? How could anyone not like a tale about goodness triumphing over evil? How could anyone not like justice and a happy ending? This is one of the most uplifting (after you get through the bad parts) books I've ever read. Celie is one of my favorite characters in all of the southern lit canon and the struggles she overcomes are mind-boggling. I guess when I think about it, it's understandable. I mean, there are those who don't like "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Catcher in the Rye." It's unfortunate that some don't see the good in something.
Also recommended: BARK OF THE DOGWOOD and MERIDIAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Nourishment for the Soul, July 8 2004
Melissa McCauley (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Color Purple (Paperback)
I've read this book dozens of times and always find a new insight into myself or into human nature that I didn't see before. Walker's deceptively simple prose paints an elaborate physical and emotional landscape. I've had people tell me they couldn't finish it because it was "too depressing". If they would only finish! It is amazing to see Celie finally triumph and find love and spiritual peace. Truly a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent book!, June 24 2004
Diane Sawyer, A reviewer,

The Color Purple
The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Hardcover - June 1982)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01