4.0 out of 5 stars A little upsetting
Published on June 26 2002 by frequent Amazon shopper

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed in this children's book
Published on Nov. 18 2002 by audrey

4.0 out of 5 stars A little upsetting, June 26 2002
This review is from: Mouse Count (Hardcover)
I loved Mouse Paint and thought I would like this one as well. It's a good book and I don't regret buying it, but not as good as Mouse Paint. Throughout the book the snake is putting mice in a jar with the intention of eating them. Each time he finds some mice they're described as "little, warm and tasty." I leave this part out when I read it as I'm afraid it may be disturbing to my 14 month old as she starts to understand more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the little ones!, June 18 2002
Scott Niven - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mouse Count (Board book)
This book was one of our son's first 2 books, so it will always be special to me. Initially he didn't care for it, and would always push it away when I tried to read it to him. But as he approached 12 months old, he began liking the book more and more, especially the counting parts. When I got to the part that reads "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - the little mice uncounted themselves and ran home" he would usually start laughing.
The artwork is simple but effective. The background is white, while the foreground is composed of solid colors. I think this works because the pages aren't cluttered with background art, so the child can focus on what is happening with the snake and mice. And even with the simplistic style, the cuteness and cleverness of the mice comes through clearly.
The storyline is fun. Some mice fall asleep and are captured by a snake and placed in a jar. But due to the snakes greediness (he always wants one more mouse) the mice find a clever way to escape. So as a child gets older, the moral of the story can be emphasized rather than the counting.
I would definitely recommend this book. It has held our son's attention for several months now, and believe me, that's saying alot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Counts from 1 to 10 and back again, June 12 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Mouse Count (Paperback)
This book uses a narrative format to introduce the numbers oneto ten, and then count back down again. A hungry snake finds tennapping mice and drops them one by one into a jar for safekeeping. "First I will count them and then I will eat them up," said the snake. "Mouse Count! One... two... three..."
The mice wake up and convince the snake that he needs one more mouse, a very large one that they point out to him. While the snake goes to capture the other mouse (which is really a large gray rock), the mice tip the jar over. "Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one." The mice uncounted themselves and ran home.
The text is easy enough for a beginning reader, and the uncluttered illustrations make counting easy for beginners, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed in this children's book, Nov. 18 2002
audrey (white mtns) - See all my reviews
Having heard several times that this book and its companion, Mouse Paint, were clever and fun reads for children, we got this book, but I was pretty disappointed. While the artwork is charming, the premise of the story is that sleeping mice are being stored in a jar to be eaten later by a snake. Like another reviewer, when reading aloud I skip the snake repeatedly describing them as "little, warm and tasty". The idea of the mice cleverly escaping and then counting down as they escape is good, but I don't find that the "counting up" is particularly well done, so that children don't necessarily develop a better understanding of counting or numbers. To be honest, our toddler likes the book, so I've given it three stars, but IMHO there are much better books for children out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful playful story for the preschool set!, Aug. 29 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Mouse Count (Paperback)
My 4 1/2 year old daughter loves this book that she discovered at preschool. We bought a copy for our house and she "reads" it frequently. It's a well written easy-to-follow story for this age group with cute pictures. We love the way those clever mice outsmart the snake. It also teaches counting and adding skills. It never occurred to us to teach our daughter to count backwards. Thanks to "Mouse Count" she can now count to 20 forward and backwards.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good; but "Mouse Paint" still beats this, March 17 2003
Dave in Hagerstown "oriolesfan61" (Hagerstown, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mouse Count (Paperback)
As a preschool teacher I like this book.
Far from the snake's description of the imprisioned mice making it inappropariate for children: it is a good moral lesson! Don't be greedy! It is also not a problem because mice are on earth to be food for the snakes and the preditors are not "bad" animals; there are just fulfilling their role in the ecology.
I don't like it as much as "Mouse Paint" but it is a fine counting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun book with counting and moral, July 2 2003
altmod (Atlanta GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mouse Count (Board book)
My three year old son loves this book even more than Mouse Paint. Despite previous reviewers' concerns about the mice being described as "little warm and tasty," this part makes my son laugh the most. He loves counting backwards, tipping side to side to mimic the mice as they tip the jar, and repeats the moral to the story on a regular basis.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't measure up to 'Mouse Paint', June 7 2001
This review is from: Mouse Count (Board book)
My kids love Mouse Paint, so we got Mouse Count, too. This one just doesn't hold their interest near as much. There's less action, I guess, and it is much less imaginative. We were disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 27 2014
This review is from: Mouse Count (Hardcover)
Great for teaching math!

Mouse Count
Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh (Paperback - Feb. 1 2001)
CDN$ 8.95 CDN$ 8.50