5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books
This is an amazing series. I read them when I was thirteen and now that I have money of my own I've bought them all and catching up on the three that have come out that I lost track of. Also got my boyfriend into them. Were both in love with jacky.
Published 3 months ago by Gingy

3.0 out of 5 stars ok book but great series
I had read the books slightly out of order starting with Under the Jolly Roger and I will admit if I had started with this one I probably wouldn't have continued with the other books this book is just ok but its worth reading to become entangled with the rest of the series and Jacky Faber
Published 1 month ago by Sam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars ok book but great series, Feb. 20 2014
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books, Dec 30 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down!, March 1 2012
Joey Ouellette (Windsor, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Bloody Jack: Being an Account Of the Curious Adventures Of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship`s Boy (Paperback)
Excellent for kids and grown ups! Well written, fast paced, delightful! We appreciate very much the well researched historical information, and have learned much about the times, events, etc. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, perfect for the rebelious girl, Sept. 23 2008
Bloody Jack is a good book. Mary "Jacky" Faber was orphaned as a child, left to fend for herself on the streets of London. Jacky decides to leave London in search of a better life after a terrible tragedy. She disguises herself as a boy and gets picked to be a ships boy on the HMS Dolphin, a ship in the royal navy. For those who are wondering, no, this is not a slash 'em and bash 'em up book, more like it details the struggles of being a girl in a boy dominated world, no offence. I would not recommend this for boys, but if you're a girl that likes to be defiant, this might be for you.
Great book, real good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-Mazing Book!!, Nov. 11 2007
J. Speirs "cute T." (Nepean, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Bloody Jack is a perfect pirate book especially for reluctant readers. There is just enough action, humor, and romance to please almost anyone. Jacky joins a crew on a navy ship as a boy and has to deal with growing up into a young woman while surounded by boys. On the ship she meets a man who,later, she sees as a father, a boy who she falls for(and in return falls for her, or as he sees her a he which he cant and wont act upon), a group of loyal friends, and a man who looks like someone she should completley avoid(and she tries to, till a point where he traps her, leading her to her first kill) and ofcourse the ever present pirates.

Jacky faber may be a fictional character but can still be role motals to girls of all ages telling them to be who they want to be.

Though Jacky is quite whiney and tends to state the obvious she is still a memorable character. The book is written by her point of view and is written by her so the words are quite annoying to read there are alot of singin' and dancin' etc. not proper but still good.

The other books can be read bythemselves but it would be a better idea to read this one first.

5.0 out of 5 stars For sailing lovers..., Nov. 8 2006
For anyone who loves books/movies that take place on boats like Master and Comander, Stowaway, Swallows and Amazons, etc. you will love this book. It is a book i couldnt put down. It dose have a few parts that weren't exactly PG, so no one under 12 should read it. Overall it will make you want to board your own British war ship and head for the high seas!!

5.0 out of 5 stars RIP ROARING ADVENTURE ON THE HIGH SEAS!, Feb. 2 2005
By A Customer
I loved this book! For me, a teenaged girl sailboat sailor, it appealed to me a lot. Most of the sea faring novels out there for teens are about boys and such. This one was narrarated by Jacky Faber, with her british street talk, which added a lot of charm to the book. I thought it was very well written and I really liked it and I am now reading the second novel in this series, the curse of the blue tatoo... not sure yet if i like it as much as the first, as the first was so good. Adults also wold like this novel, as I know many of them who have read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Well written book, Oct. 17 2004
By A Customer
I think this is an amazing book though not yet done, It is written through the eyes of Mary and she is depicted well even through the writing (The bed grammar of an orphan). The characters are well laid out and there is a bit of what you want although this is DEFINITLEY a book for younger children. It shows the growth of a 18th century orphan girl trying to make her life better through all of lifes problems(argh puberty)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book worth reading, July 8 2004
By A Customer
As a teenager, I have read numerous books about the same subject. While you read them, they all blend into one another and end the same way, and have no surpises in the plot at all. When I picked up a copy of Mr. Meyer's book, I thought the same about it while i read the summary. To my surprise i was enchanted while reading the first pages. Not only is the story rich with wonderful characters and dialogue, it is filled with sea-faring adventure, romance and humor. I have been told that teenage boys do not appreciate this story, but I am a male, and it is now one of my favorites.If books were money, this one would be gold. Mr. Meyer, I applaud you.

1.0 out of 5 stars TItanic, pirate style., June 22 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Bloody Jack (Hardcover)
This is a nice little story about a girl who disguses herself as a boy. How very orthodox. I didn't especially like it, but then again maybe you will. They focus on her obsession with her bunk mate a little too much, instead of kicking pirate butt, which was what I expected from the summary. It was pretty predictable, but it gave you a little "haha" once or twice. The writing itself was ok, but as I am not learned in british slang from the 1680s, it was a little difficult to understand what the protagonist ment. It was a book I could put down and forget about until i stepped on it. I read it, and would suggest this book for girls. It may seem like a "boys" book from the cover, something like Stowaway, but a boy might not enjoy reading it. It was no Da Vinci code, and was about 8 levels down from the writing quality of Harry Potter, but if you really have nothing to do, check a book out from the library and keep this one on the shelf.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›