5.0 out of 5 stars I Keep This in My Glovebox
I have ordered this book for my college English classes for the past four years. Each time I browse through it I find something new, something valuable. I do indeed keep a copy in my car's glovebox. I pull it out if I find myself stuck somewhere and I read a poem or two.
Published on Nov. 25 2003 by Crazy Mel W

3.0 out of 5 stars Good collection with at least one typo
Published on March 5 2002 by Eileen Galen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good collection with at least one typo, March 5 2002
Eileen Galen (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
My confidence in this personal and somewhat quirky collection was undermined when I turned to W.S. Merwin's lovely and powerful "For the Anniversary of My Death," (which begins "Every year without knowing it I have passed the day/ When the last fires will wave to me")and saw to my dismay that it had a typo in the last line, changing "bowing" to "boding" and thereby wrecking the poem. Unfortunate oversight. Neruda and other South Americans are noticeable by their absence, begging the question of whether Milosz harbors a grudge.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Keep This in My Glovebox, Nov. 25 2003
Crazy Mel W "crazymel" (San Marcos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
The selections are indeed eclectic and span the globe. They are loosely arranged by theme and my international students assure me that the translations are good and truly reflect the spirit of the originals.
I recommend this highly to people who love poetry and to those who think they might someday at least like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars MANY GEMS, Feb. 16 2002
Stephen Lindow (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
MOSTLY POLISH, ASIAN, CZECH, FRENCH,NATIVE AMERICAN AND AMERICAN POETRY. TURNED ME ON TO ROETHKE'S 'CARNATIONS'--AMAZING. A STRONG ECLECTIC COLLECTION OF FAVORITES. NICE TO HAVE CZESLAW'S BRIEF COMMENTS AS A PREAMBLE TO CHOSEN POEM'S HISTORY, ET AL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original collection of poems, Jan. 24 2002
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
This is a nice eclectic collection of poems from around the world. The poems have been organized into rather unique categories. The book is different from many poetry anthologies in that the poems are diverse and inspiring, and they are arranged in a pleasing nonstandard manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sublime Anthology, Dec 9 2001
Flounder (Substitution Instance) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
The poetry in this diverse volume lives up to the lofty title on the book cover. Indeed, the poetry therein is luminous. From Haiku and dead moths to drangonfly wings and Jeffers' hurt hawks, this anthology is great for any ocassion. I discovered it while traveling, and it proved a lovely travel companion. It made the trip especially memorable and much more endurable, in that the poetry unceasingly provided me opportunity to reflect on the human condition and elemental themes. The more interesting aspect of this anthology happens to accord with the editor's own writing philosophy--which focuses on celebrating the ordinary--to demonstrate that the world is imbued with poetic spirit in simple facts--simple happenings that may easily be overlooked by the distracted passerby. I recommend this volume to anyone, esp. the contributions of Herbert, Hass, Milosz, Jeffers, and Szymborska.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book of Luminous Things, Oct. 3 2001
Joe Bergerman (La Ronge, Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
This anthology contains a wonderful range of poems, old and new, from many countries. Milosz is a sensitive reviewer and compiler. He introduces each poem with a comment that elucidates the poem's meaning and enhances the reader's appreciation. An excellent selection, very well presented. The book's layout gives each poem the importance it deserves. I will immediately look up the compiler's own poems. He is intelligent, thoughtful and sensitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars An expertly selected volume, April 12 2001
Kurtis R Scaletta (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
I've never seen an anthology that is such an act of beauty in itself.
The selection of poems and commentary support a beautiful range of poems that are fresh & vital, brief & accessible. I can imagine this used to turn people on to poetry, as these poems always hit a nerve and are never obscure or bland. It is not comprehensive in a sense of poetic history, but it serves well as a collection for inspiration & meditation which will neither daunt the person new to poetry or insult the intellect of the scholar.

4.0 out of 5 stars PRETTY GOOD, Aug. 14 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: A Book Of Luminous Things (Paperback)
I thought that this book had some very good poems. Yet, as reading through the ENTIRE book, many of the selected pieces were rather dull. Overall though, it was an enjoyable book of many different types of poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant collection for the peripatetic reader of poetry, Dec 29 1996
By A Customer
A brilliant collection of poems by scores of poets from various countries and various eras. A book that will be well-thumbed by the peripatetic reader who moves from form to form, and from image to image. Milosz's commentary is also poetic. Sometimes he simply provides facts about a poem or a poet, but usually he frames the poem, as if hanging a border to concentrate the qualities of each poem in the reader's eye

ARRAY(0xb31558f4)

A Book Of Luminous Things
A Book Of Luminous Things by Czeslaw Milosz (Paperback - Feb. 1 2001)
CDN$ 19.50 CDN$ 13.72