5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent... some people are so stupid.
Published on Dec 22 2003 by T. P. Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't recieve what is shown in Amazon picture.
Published 3 months ago by Sam Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent... some people are so stupid., Dec 22 2003
T. P. Stewart (Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Princess Bride (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book, as long as you don't go into it wanting a conventional fantasy novel. At some points during the reading, you will realize that Goldman did not write the book intending for it to be a pure fantasy, but perhaps more of a satire of reality. His entire point in writing it was to show readers that they are in the real world. The characters and happenings are so far fetched because Goldman wants us to realize that life isn't a fantasy.
If you've seen the movie, read the book to get more out of the story. If you haven't seen the movie, read the book and then see it. If you've already read the book, why are you looking at reader reviews?--I mean--buy the movie.
Oh yeah... there are plenty of reviews here saying that this book is so horrible because Goldman cut hundreds of pages out of S. Morgenstern's original Princess Bride. Do not pay any attention to these reviews... these people have been misinformed. S. Morgenstern was a fictional writer invented by Goldman. He is just a character in Goldman's story. This story is not abridged, as it may seem(The 'Good Parts' Version). It is just a tale that Goldman made up, or maybe his father made it up, or maybe his father's father... the point is, the tale was never WRITTEN anywhere else until Goldman came along, so you are not missing anything in reading THIS version. Please do not go and try to find S. Morgenstern's original... that would be an impossibility, as well as a waste of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars No age limit required, Aug. 2 2008
Bill Carr "Bones" (Cobourg, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Princess Bride (Hardcover)
The Princess Bride was released in '74, way back when I was 14 years old. My father tossed it to me after he had finished it and told me I would like it. I liked it so much I was one of the many (suckers) who sent away for the reunion scene between Westley and Buttercup that Goldman offered on page 153 of the paperback. Heck, I was 14, I wanted more of the story, and if all it was going to cost me was a stamp....
I'm 48 years old now, and I still read this book every once in a while; it never gets old. Sometimes I find myself skipping ahead a little, then I remember Fezziks logic "fool, fool, back to the beginning is the rule."
No matter the genre of books you prefer, be it horror, mystery, sci-fi, and no matter your age, you must, MUST read this book. It has been in my top 10 since I was 14. My 8 year old son wants to read it which I think is fantastic, because he'll have 6 years on my first reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another pulp novel (spoilers!), June 23 2004
nsim (the Upper Midwest) - See all my reviews
A witty and elegant subversion of the fantasy genre.
**********
It astonishes me that some of the reviewers below never figured out that the book of which this one purports to be an abridgment /doesn't exist./ There never was an S Morgenstern, nor were there kingdoms of Florin and Guilder (the names of medieval coins, not countries.)
/The Princess Bride/ is a novel about the relationship between a sick boy and his grandfather. The grandfather emigrated to America as an adult. During the boy's confinement, the grandfather reads him their fictitious ancestral country's national novel, cutting and reworking as he goes to transform it into a straightforward adventure story the boy will enjoy. The problem of teaching a child born in America to identify with his national heritage is a difficult one; after all, people from the old country smell funny, eat weird things, talk with accents, and don't know anything about baseball. I imagine that Goldman himself comes from an immigrant family. In that light, this book is in part his response as an adult to his memories growing up, and it is warm and engaging.
But Goldman manages not to let this turn into treacle by combining it with an adventure story so good that they made a movie out of it. The scenes with Fred Savage in the movie are not extraneous, they're vital to the book's unique quality: naive self-consciousness. It's a book that's basically about someone reading a book (take that, postmodernism,) but it uses the metatextual conceit to add to the story by giving it a deeper social significance rather than to detract from it by making it the object of games with meaning. We accept both the realistic world of a boy coming to terms with his family and heritage, and the fantastic world of ROUSes, Holocaust Cloaks, and Humperdinck's life-suctioning machine.
You can read this book simply for the adventure story, which is what many people appear to have done, but in my opinion, there's a better novel written around the adventure story than in it. Whichever you prefer, I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, the insights of Goldman tie this abridgement together!, June 27 2014
This review is from: The Princess Bride (Hardcover)
I borrowed this book for a road-trip from central Alberta to the Redwoods in southern Orgeon. I developed terrible strep-throat, and my beau read me this book every single night around the campfire. Due to the meds I was on, I kept falling into an anti-biotic induced stupor, and would frequently fall asleep, only to temporarily regain consciousness for minutes at a time. My beau simple read where I left off, making this experience similar to Goldman's childhood experience.

Seems this is the very best story to read a sickly child, or a rambling nomad. Like Buttercup, my journey to find true-love has been fraught with heartache, torment, and sabotage.

This book will follow us on our adventures, and will be passed on to our children... they will hear how their Dad read this book every night to their sickly mother, and how this book secured our bonds of true love.

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining, unique, quick read. Just as good, if not better, than the movie!, May 17 2014
My Thoughts:

1. I loved the movie as a kid and reading the book brings back so much nostalgia and childhood memories :)

2. Goldman's writing style makes this such an entertaining read. I like how he added his input and thoughts in between scenes which does well in connecting the readers to the author. There were multiple times where Goldman had me wondering if everything he wrote was fictional which required some googling to confirm. He totally had me fooled in some parts.

3. It's killing me to know that I can't read the reunion scene and yet Goldman keeps teasing about it in the book. Gahh...

4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE all the characters! Especially Fezzik, he's such a sweet and gentle giant :D One of my favourite scenes had to be Buttercup's confession, oh man that had my LOLing so hard.

5. An epilogue titled "Buttercup's Baby" was included in my edition of the book. To be honest, it wasn't the best epilogue written (I just skimmed through it) but it was nice to see a little more into their futures.

6. The book was exactly as I remember the movie to be. There were some scenes in the book I wished they could have adapted into the movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't recieve what is shown in Amazon picture., April 13 2014
This review is from: Princess Bride (Hardcover)
Did a ton of research and looked around to figure out the different editions of The Princess Bride and their varying costs. Finally found this one on Amazon. Decided it was the one i wished to purchase. So by continuing through amazon's processing i ended up ordering a used copy from a retailer called Nearfine. Not only did i not receive the copy shown by amazon, but my "very good" conditioned book had a large rip in the front cover (which had been then held back in place by tape).

So i give this purchase a 2 star. I received the book i wanted; The princess Bride. However I did not receive the copy or condition advertised (wasn't even red on black text either).

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 18 2014
I love this movie and heard the book was even better. i love the book! It came in great condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, March 1 2014
Enjoyed the movie, but the book was just as great.
Lots of details.
My daughter can't stop repeating the lines to us.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Time to review must get on with book, Jan. 21 2014
No Time to review must get on with book
I don't want to do this let me read please let me

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, Dec 9 2013
I love the movie and I loved this abridged version of Morgenstern's book. Mr. Goldman makes it a fun read and I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good old-fashioned story. I have the Kindle version, but this is a book I'd like to have on my shelf. I wonder if Peter Falk would agree to do a audio version? That would be great.

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.37