5.0 out of 5 stars superb ecology intro...., Nov. 10 2001
....and a clearly written blend of ecology, systems theory, and environmental science, with interesting Enrichment sections and Guest Editorials by a variety of influential figures.
I like the "liberal" slant--in other words, the call to quit being the world's biggest consumer and polluter and create a sustainable society with more realistic values than the dream of unlimited expansion--but then I can't think of anything more insane than allowing the world to overheat so the oil empires can go on making money.
Anyway, major sections covered include:
Humans and Nature: An Overview
Some Concepts of Ecology
Population, Resources, and Pollution
Environment and Society
I'm glad I bought mine used; the publisher is nuts for charging this much money for a textbook, no matter how well-crafted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, educational reading+Dantes exam material, Feb. 9 2004
By A Customer
I used this book for the DANTES test: Environment and Humanity, it covered everything that was asked on the test and I believe I passed because of it's great detail. It also changed the way I look at the world and how we treat it. Really really educational, I'm glad I was made to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good intro text, Jan. 13 2013
This review is from: Living in The Environment (Hardcover)
.. a good resource to use for an intro course into enviro biology. Various case studies at the beginning of chapters help to spark interest in the subsequent theme. Chapters are also not too long, nor do they go into extreme detail, which allows you, as an instructor, play in terms of supplemental material & examples that you'd like to incorporate into lessons. There is definitely a Canadian angle to my version, which suits my needs, as I teach there. Essentially, it is a very well thought out text, that can be used for non-scientists & scientists alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the introductory environmental science texts, July 10 2004
Wildcat (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Of the half-a-dozen environmental science texts I read in preparing a 10th grade environmental science block, this is by far the best written, with the clearest figures. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, Feb. 25 2011
This review is from: Living in The Environment (Hardcover)
As a requirement for a university course, I found this textbook nearly $30 cheaper when ordering through amazon.ca
It arrived promptly and is exactly what it was said to be. Thanks Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME TEXT!!, April 21 2003
By A Customer
This is an awesome text especially for AP students and level 1 and 2 college students! It helped me score a 5 on the AP exam and test out of my first two semesters of Environmental Science.

Living in The Environment
Living in The Environment by Student Researchers Student Researchers (Hardcover - April 7 2010)
CDN$ 189.95