5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly realistic description of the 1st year
Published on Dec 23 2001 by Carrie Frost

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and morbid.
Don't buy this book. Each chapter seems to focus on the negative aspects of birth and having a baby. It's depressing, morbid, and has little practical information.
Published on Sept. 24 2001 by Lisa Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly realistic description of the 1st year, Dec 23 2001
Carrie Frost (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I haven't read a lot of books about the postpartum period that realistically describe the physical and emotional effects of becoming a mother. This book was a refreshing change of pace. After the birth of my child, I felt guilty about not being overjoyed. Sheila Kitzinger validated my feelings, which made it easier for me to accept my new role as a mother. I disagree with the previous review, describing the book as "depressing and morbid". Unfortunately, hormonal upheavals and dramatic lifestlye changes can feel that way. But I think that anyone that has had a baby should read this book. It describes what many women are thinking, but often don't talk about for fear of being judged as "abnormal". I believe that the author's discussion of these thoughts and feelings can be empowering for a new mother. It's a good read for what can sometimes be a challenging period in a woman's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and True feelings about life after birth..., April 1 2000
This book was a gift from a real friend! I was so lost and unaware about all the stuff that the doctor didn't tell me! Shelia's book gave me a wealth of information about breastfeeding and why babies cry and that it's okay to feel frustrated and say "Why the hell did I do this? " The info about post-partem sex, baby slings and most importanly post partem feelings were priceless and right on. Not may people write honestly and from real life/world experience about the spectrum of feeling and emotion that follow the first intense months of babies and moms life.This book is a must have treasure written by a woman that cares and has made her lifes work about woman! BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, Feb. 6 2001
Giving birth and becoming a mother was chaotic, overwhelming, wonderful and scary at the same time, and of the many books I bought to help me through it, only this book really helped. Where so much that is written about the experience of new parents is advice driven and vaguely judgmental, this book has the perfect empathetic air. So many times while reading this book I would think "oh yes, that is exactly what I have been feeling!" My only advice to expectant mothers would be, buy this book, wrap it up, and give it to yourself as a gift for that moment when you are back home with your new child!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Every New Mom!, Dec 3 2000
Sheila Kitzinger has once again gone where no woman has gone before! This time, the renowned feminist, childbirth expert, and author provides an essential guide for self-care so you can make the transition to motherhood without losing your self. Combines practical advice on exercise, eating, and daily life with warm encouragement and affirmation. A wonderful gift for an expectant or new mother.

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and morbid., Sept. 24 2001