biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on May 17, 1999
Covers a lot of different branches of mathematics in depth but does not require a significant mathematical backround. This is good for beginners; you can even learn the basics of calculus, and in a much better way than those "calculus made simple" types of books. I particularly liked the sections on algebraic number fields, geometric constructions, Louisville's construction of transendental numbers, a "probabilistic proof" of the Prime Number Theorem, and the whole section on functions and the Calculus. Actually, the whole book was great. Get it.
on May 21, 1999
I read this book while in high school, before enrolling in college. I was captured by the beauty of the subject. Every concept seemed alive: a triumph of imagination, intuition and intelligence. I chose Physics and Mathematics thanks to this book. Without exaggeration, this book had a big influence in my life. Still today it has no equals, and is an enjoyable yet challenging reading for any reader armed with a good hig-school-level math knowledge, and some curiosity.
on September 14, 2000
Like other reviewers, I first read this book between high school and college, and my experience was the same - wonder, challenge, appreciation. It seems to start off innocently enough, but it quickly moves into complexity and density. Sort of like going for a jog with a Kenyan who decides to "pick up the pace" about a mile out. You may never be the same again.
on July 15, 1998
I am a college student, majoring in math, but not very far along in my major sequence. I found that this book gave me an understandable perspective on what might lie ahead in my studies. I highly recommend this book for anyone who thinks they might be interested in learning more about Mathematics! It inspired me!
on March 6, 1999
I love math. I eat, drink, and sleep math. But nonetheless I sometimes find it dry. But not in this book. It covers just about every major topic in mathematics (and even dabbles into topology and fractals) and does all this in a way that's very interesting, never dry. I found it impossible to put down.
on November 26, 1998
This is a "must read" for every student of mathematics, engineering and the sciences. You will not fail to learn something.
on December 26, 2001
The title suggests a topic more on the philosophy
of math rather than math proper, but it's all real math, and superbly
done!
on July 10, 2015
More involved than I'd expected, but great read.
on August 21, 2003
This is a demanding book. One cannot read it listening to Bach. [a clash of complexities]. The construction of he book is 'old style' [which is every seeming possible variation is mentioned] which has fallen into disfavor as confusing,
That written it is very complete and I really enjoyed many parts of this book.