5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Oct. 23 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods (Paperback)
Although I was always good in math in high school, I never really appreciated it. One summer I found this book in a dusty little corner of a bookshelf and I started reading it. I still remember how for the first time, I was inspired by the subject while reading this book. I couldn't stop reading it, until I finished it. At the time, I didn't really know Calculus or any advanced subject and I had never read any math books other than the high school textbooks. This book literally changed my life. I might have forgotten who my first love was, but I remember very well this book after 25 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece of mathematical exposition, May 21 1999
Giuseppe A. Paleologo "gappy" (Riverdale, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I read this book while in high school, before enrolling in college. I was captured by the beauty of the subject. Every concept seemed alive: a triumph of imagination, intuition and intelligence. I chose Physics and Mathematics thanks to this book. Without exaggeration, this book had a big influence in my life. Still today it has no equals, and is an enjoyable yet challenging reading for any reader armed with a good hig-school-level math knowledge, and some curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview of the subject and some of its techniques, May 17 1999
By A Customer
Covers a lot of different branches of mathematics in depth but does not require a significant mathematical backround. This is good for beginners; you can even learn the basics of calculus, and in a much better way than those "calculus made simple" types of books. I particularly liked the sections on algebraic number fields, geometric constructions, Louisville's construction of transendental numbers, a "probabilistic proof" of the Prime Number Theorem, and the whole section on functions and the Calculus. Actually, the whole book was great. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for learning AND recreation, March 6 1999
By A Customer
I love math. I eat, drink, and sleep math. But nonetheless I sometimes find it dry. But not in this book. It covers just about every major topic in mathematics (and even dabbles into topology and fractals) and does all this in a way that's very interesting, never dry. I found it impossible to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on mathematics which I ever read!, Nov. 26 1998
By A Customer
This is a "must read" for every student of mathematics, engineering and the sciences. You will not fail to learn something.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll also learn lots of solid mathematics., July 24 1998
By A Customer
So Einstein thought this book "easily understandable" ? Well, if you are a beginner at calculus you will not find it "easily understandable", for that would mean you didn't learn a single new thing! Calculus is perhaps the most profound and far-reaching discovery of the millenium, and is certainly not trivial. However, this magical book is the best possible introduction. It is written so that your perplexities will always be accompanied by so beautiful results or promises of results, that you will be more than ready to do the necessary efforts. These come, for instance, in the form of exercises and in the details of the demonstrations, which are all there. There is no cheating. Well, the book is not only about calculus. There are many previous chapters on theory of numbers, geometry, algebra, topology. But I think it culminates with calculus, and the preceding chapters serve as steps of a staircase leading to it. The new edition has the collaboratio! n of Ian Stewart, an inspired writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for a math amateur, July 15 1998
By A Customer
I am a college student, majoring in math, but not very far along in my major sequence. I found that this book gave me an understandable perspective on what might lie ahead in my studies. I highly recommend this book for anyone who thinks they might be interested in learning more about Mathematics! It inspired me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an 'easy' read, Aug. 21 2003
newton fisher "nerdly uncki" (riverside, california United States) - See all my reviews
This is a demanding book. One cannot read it listening to Bach. [a clash of complexities]. The construction of he book is 'old style' [which is every seeming possible variation is mentioned] which has fallen into disfavor as confusing,
That written it is very complete and I really enjoyed many parts of this book.

What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods
What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods by Herbert Robbins (Paperback - April 30 1999)
CDN$ 30.95 CDN$ 28.07