5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview of the subject and some of its techniques, May 17 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods (Paperback)
Covers a lot of different branches of mathematics in depth but does not require a significant mathematical backround. This is good for beginners; you can even learn the basics of calculus, and in a much better way than those "calculus made simple" types of books. I particularly liked the sections on algebraic number fields, geometric constructions, Louisville's construction of transendental numbers, a "probabilistic proof" of the Prime Number Theorem, and the whole section on functions and the Calculus. Actually, the whole book was great. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece of mathematical exposition, May 21 1999
Giuseppe A. Paleologo "gappy" (Riverdale, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I read this book while in high school, before enrolling in college. I was captured by the beauty of the subject. Every concept seemed alive: a triumph of imagination, intuition and intelligence. I chose Physics and Mathematics thanks to this book. Without exaggeration, this book had a big influence in my life. Still today it has no equals, and is an enjoyable yet challenging reading for any reader armed with a good hig-school-level math knowledge, and some curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Sept. 14 2000
Judith H. Klitgaard (Cranbury, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers, I first read this book between high school and college, and my experience was the same - wonder, challenge, appreciation. It seems to start off innocently enough, but it quickly moves into complexity and density. Sort of like going for a jog with a Kenyan who decides to "pick up the pace" about a mile out. You may never be the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for a math amateur, July 15 1998
By A Customer
I am a college student, majoring in math, but not very far along in my major sequence. I found that this book gave me an understandable perspective on what might lie ahead in my studies. I highly recommend this book for anyone who thinks they might be interested in learning more about Mathematics! It inspired me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for learning AND recreation, March 6 1999
By A Customer
I love math. I eat, drink, and sleep math. But nonetheless I sometimes find it dry. But not in this book. It covers just about every major topic in mathematics (and even dabbles into topology and fractals) and does all this in a way that's very interesting, never dry. I found it impossible to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on mathematics which I ever read!, Nov. 26 1998
By A Customer
This is a "must read" for every student of mathematics, engineering and the sciences. You will not fail to learn something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucid!!!, Dec 26 2001
The title suggests a topic more on the philosophy
of math rather than math proper, but it's all real math, and superbly
done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an 'easy' read, Aug. 21 2003
newton fisher "nerdly uncki" (riverside, california United States) - See all my reviews
This is a demanding book. One cannot read it listening to Bach. [a clash of complexities]. The construction of he book is 'old style' [which is every seeming possible variation is mentioned] which has fallen into disfavor as confusing,
That written it is very complete and I really enjoyed many parts of this book.

What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods
What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods by Herbert Robbins (Paperback - April 30 1999)
CDN$ 30.95 CDN$ 27.58
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available