5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few books I have purchased twice.
Published on Sept. 9 2003 by Brent Ridenour

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful tool for students
I think this is a very good book for students and professionals working in the world of modern finance.
Published on July 30 1998 by María Alzúa (malzua@pecom.com.ar)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few books I have purchased twice., Sept. 9 2003
Brent Ridenour "bridenou" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Investment Science (Hardcover)
This is the best book by far on the theory of finance. The book covers all the important fundamental concepts and develops them into practical models without going overboard and introducing every possible variation on the model. the style is both conversational and mathematical. It is replete with discussions about the material, but it doesnt gloss over the math. I took professor Luenbergers course at Stanford, and it piqued my interest in finance enough to pursue it professionally. (At the time, I was a masters student in electrical engineering.) I purchased several other books in finance. I dont even know where they are now, every time I have a question or need to build a new model, I go straight to Luenberger. This book is so good, I bought a second copy just as a backup, in case I lose my copy and the book goes out of print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent book! Great clarity and depth in the subject, Oct. 6 2000
Antonio J. Macias (Keller, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Investment Science (Hardcover)
I attended his courses at Stanford and indeed he's an eminence in the subject, and all his wisdom has been printed in this excellent book. This book provides you with the required tools to fully understand the theory and practical methods for valuation. A plus is the introduction of Real Option valuation concept. It's adequate for advanced undergraduates or mainly for graduate studies in preparation for deeper courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for advanced undergraduated courses., Oct. 9 1998
This review is from: Investment Science (Hardcover)
It is very difficult to find a book on investments with a clear quantitative background that fits the necessity of advanced students. Luenberger's explanations and exercices are the finest I have ever read. His book is a good step for those who want to keep on studying portfolio analysis, CAPM, asset pricing and stochastic process.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful tool for students, July 30 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite finance books, July 7 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Investment Science (Hardcover)
This should be a required text for all financial engineering and computational finance students. Dr. Luenberger's treatment of portfolio allocation and derivatives is the best I have read. Finance is finally beginning to make sense. Bala Shetty is a professor of information and operations management at Texas A&M University in College Station,Texas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introductory book, April 17 1998
Giuseppe A. Paleologo "gappy" (Riverdale, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Investment Science (Hardcover)
This textbook introduces the basics of asset pricing theory and portfolio optimization at a level suitable to advanced undergraduates. The mathematics seems to be just right for practitioners: no martingales, no girsanov theorem, but a complete treatment of binomial lattices and a semi-quantitative introduction to diffusion processes and to stochastic calculus. Problems are very well chosen. The organization of the text is standard, except for the last two chapters, related to optimal growth portfolio and to real options. Final remark: the book is excellent for self-study. I learnt the subject from Prof. Luenberger himself, and he was repeating each single word from the book, saying (as a disclaimer) that "it's not me copying the book... it's the book that copies what I said. After all, I wrote it." Needless to say, the class was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Written Academic Book I�ve Read, Jan. 4 1998
This review is from: Investment Science (Hardcover)
We had this book in an introductory course in mathematical finance. It is an excellent book, I highly recommend it to anyone with a little math background as an introduction to the interesting field of derivatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great next text, June 29 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Investment Science (Hardcover)
This is the best singlevolume on investments ever written. It is one of the only books to cover both derivatives and portfolio optimization, and it does not get bogged down with unnecessary notation. It is a real page turner. For non finance types looking for a serious, rigorous introduction to the subject, look no further.
Wayne Winston
Professor of Decision Sciences
Indiana Universit

ARRAY(0xb48465a0)

Investment Science
Investment Science by David G. Luenberger (Hardcover - June 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 22.26