biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on August 6, 2003
I bought this book in conjuction with a class on complex mathematics I took at a university. Within two classes I had abandoned all hope of actually learning something and by another class I decided to drop the course entirely.
The book presents fundamental ideas of complex analysis in a quick and esoteric manner. There is no proving of a single statement in the book. Mathematics to me has always been about what you can PROVE (for those who think otherwise, consider that it made front page news when Fermat's theorem was nearly proven albeit in hyperbolic space).
I am not a connoisseur of math books, but it would appear from other ratings that Needham has perhaps written other books of value. However, this has no bearing on the incredibly poor nature of this book.
Unless you have a deep background in complex math or wish to be completely baffled, avoid this book at all costs.
As for my copy, I would be more than willing to part with it for a 50 cent soda.
0Comment1 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2002
this is a masterpiece by needham yet it lacks the educational interest that was shown in his other books . I was left after the first page feeling like that my mind was not stimulated enough.
0Comment0 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse