5.0 out of 5 stars The true personification of romance!
Published on April 21 2000 by delafer

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel to Three Musketeers
Published on Jan. 16 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars The true personification of romance!, April 21 2000
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
While my copy of Dumas' "Three Musketeers" bears the mark of my having reread it six or seven times in the form of dog-eared and slightly bent pages, my copy of "Twenty Years After" is probably just as worn, if not more so, as the original manuscript. This enchanting depiction of love-the love between a father and son, and between friends-surpasses all previous attempts to convey the true depth of this emotion. Dumas portrays his characters in the most intricate and emotionally provocative light, particularly Athos. This incarnate depiction of nobility and goodness is the heart and soul of the book, as a father, a friend, a soldier dedicated to the cause of justice. The work is written with such a deep and apparent sense of humanity, to the point where the reader is drawn into every battle, becomes a passionate proponent of every cause. Overall, this is a breathtaking, passionate work, full of intrigue and not at all lacking in humor. An absolute must-read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book was great, but other reviewers please know your subject, June 3 1998
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
This book, like most of Dumas' work is wonderful. His adventure stories still evoke a sense of wonderment and raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Most movies of the same titles do not portray the events as he wrote them, but I have found that most accomodate the tempo or the 'feel' of his novels. I would additionally like to set the record straight on the trilogy argument that I see in most of the reviews in this page. The series was originally published as a trilogy, The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, and Vicomte de Bragelonne. The Vicomte de Bragelonne is now published by most in three volumes: Vicomte de Bragellone, Louise de la Valliere, and finally The Man in the Iron Mask. I have seen it split into four parts with Ten Years Later being placed in between the Vicomte de Bragellone and Louise de la Valliere. This splitting was done because when the three are combined, or rather not split, the novel is large and cumbersome to read. I hope that all this literary information does not detract one from the greatness of this series however, it is truly a wonderful tale to read about, and the story endures through to modern times with the same ferver in which it was released.

5.0 out of 5 stars The meaning of true friendship, June 16 1998
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
Twenty years have gone by since the last time D'Artagnan saw Athos, Porthos and Aramis. The Great Richelieu is dead and the life of King Charles of England is in danger. Can there be a better moment for a rendevous? This book might be the best of the trilogy. The musketeers are not as hotheaded or as sincere as they once were, and their friendship is about to face a trial of fire when the discover they no longer share their personal goals. But it was because of this book that the Musketeer Series has been called The Greatest Ode to Real Friendship. And, since there barely exist a couple of movies about this title, you won't be comparing it with anything you've seen before. Enjoy! ... And learn which were the real names of Porthos and Aramis, by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars More on Library Edition of "Twenty Years After", July 29 1998
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
After more looking into, I've discovered the World's Classic version of the referenced title is unabridged (880+ pages) vs. 380 pages for the Library Edition. Why is this edition (Library) not advertised on this website as "abridged"? I paid Amazon.com $28+ for this book. I consider abridged novels to be complete wastes of time. I have since ordered the World's Classics version from Amazon, primarily because I can't find it anywhere else. By the way, the World's Classics version's info page says 2-3 days availability. After ordering, the order page says 4-6 weeks availability.
Anyways, I think it would be good practice, not to mention more truthful advertising, to indicate when a book is less than unabridged.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book EVER!, May 16 1998
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
This book was so wonderful, it even dares to compete with The Three Musketeers! Alexandre Dumas could not have thought of a more perfect sequel. At this moment, I am devouring the next book. I think my favorite scenes in this book are the ones with just Athos and D'Artangnan. Athos is my favorite, then D'Artangnan. Athos is so kind and peacful, and D'Artangnan is so clever! I read the other reveiws of this book, and I could agree with them more. Oh, and by the way----- all of you who loved this book should definatley read Queen Margot, by Alexandre Dumas. It is just as exciting, but I am warning you: It is SO SAD! My advice is this: just don't read the last five chapters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Keeps Getting Better, March 19 1998
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
20 Years After is the second book in the 5 book trilogy of The Three Musketeers. This wonderful book contains intrigue, suspense, and best of all D'artgnan, Athos, Porthos, and Arimis. The 4 friends really find out what their friendship is all about. This book contains everything: revenge, musketeer vs musketeer, the resurgence of death (or Winter I should say, hint, hint), the diamond, and just about anything else you can think of. Dumas keeps you on your seat, even though the first half of the book is a bit dry but that is because he sets up the political arena in which our heros fight in. Excellent book I cannot wait to read the next book in line.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEYOND WORDS, April 30 1999
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
Though intimidating at first with its thick binding...this was without a doubt the best book that I have read to date. Every sentence flows like liquid. Its beautifully written. They don't write them like this anymore.

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel to Three Musketeers, Jan. 16 1999
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
When I first saw this book,I expected a further story of D'Artagnan and his friends.I wasn't disappointed.D'Artagnan's rise in the ranks of the Musketeers and his reunions with all threee of his old comrades reaffirm their famous moto:ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL!I loved the delightful way Dumas blended actual history(like the 1648 Fronde rebellion in France or the 1649 rebellion in England)with the lives of these heroes,with Athos remaining the most noble and heroic.(Footnote:This is the only book that gives D'Artagnan's first name and the first one to give the real names of all three of his Musketteer friends.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a great book!, Oct. 13 1998
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
I really adored this book, but the main reason I wrote was to clear up the number of books in the series. It is not a trilogy, because a trilogy is 3 books, not the 5 of the three guardsmen series. The Three Musketeers is first, then Twenty Years Later, then Ten Years Later, Louise de la Valliere and Man in the Iron Mask. There are six if you count the Son of Porthos,which is mentioned at the end of Man in the Iron Mask.
I enjoy this series, because their friendship come before all, even when they are working for seperate causes, a trait well illistrated in Twenty Years Later

5.0 out of 5 stars I immensely enjoyed the book, it's the best of the trilogy., July 4 1998
This review is from: Twenty Years After (Hardcover)
I have looked at the argument most have been having on the original publishing of Dumas's works. Loosenit2 was very close, but the title of the last book in the trilogy was actually not The Vicomte de Bragelonne, it was originally called Ten Years Later. That makes the trilogy; The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, and Ten Years Later. I am absolutely sure about this so I hope this ends the argument.

Twenty Years After
Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas (Paperback - Oct. 11 2008)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24