5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, A MUST-HAVE for any parent.
I bought this in conjunction with the "What to Expect" series. Read together they give an interesting and excellent mix of information. Dr. Brazelton approaches topics in a very personal way, and talks about different situations he approached in his career.
Published on Feb. 10 2004 by Georgia H. Bowerman

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
Published on Oct. 20 2002 by Saralyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Reference Book, June 26 2004
By A Customer
I love Dr. Brazelton's comforting advice. He seems so in tune with a baby. This is a nice reference book for new parents.
Another book with a similar tone is Parenting Power in the Early Years. It is likewise full of practical advice and seems to always start with what's in the child's best interest.

2.0 out of 5 stars randomly helpful, May 23 2004
J. Ringewald (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
Despite Brazelton's medical degree and experience I found this book as mixed and confusing as most of the "baby whisperer" genre of baby books. His observations based on real research and larger bodies of evidence are sometimes helpful but his personal opinions (most of the book) are often infuriating and quite prejudiced (i.e. it's better to have more than one child because a sibling forces a child to share. Good God) I prefer Penelope Leach or Sears for good common sense insights and less moralizing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, A MUST-HAVE for any parent., Feb. 10 2004
Moreover, he demonstrates how important it is to respect children and their fears of various situations. As an adult, it's easy to get caught up in everyday life and forget how TERRIFYING a trip to the doctors office can be. Dr. Brazelton covers how to discuss things with a very young child in a way they will understand, and a variety of other very important issues.
This book came highly recommended to me by a friend of Dr. Brazelton, but I recommend it to you only because it is a wonderful book, and worth every minute. I have read mine several times now, and find it very helpful with regards to approaching children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing mid-read, July 2 2003
S. Petty (Saline, MI United States) - See all my reviews
For the record, I'm only up to the 7 month chapter, with a 10 week old baby. I picked up this book at the library because my last baby was 9 years ago, and I couldn't remember certain things (when to start solids, when to try sitting him up without support, teeth, etc.). While this book has a lot of interesting information on baby development (especially reflexes, and what they can do even when they look like they can't do much), Dr. Brazelton glosses over some things that I'd have spent more time on, like jaundice, the benefits of breastfeeding, and normal "problems" versus something you should do something about now. I had no idea that jaundice could cause my baby to become too lethargic to eat until I was in Emergency with it. While jaundice can be mild, a list of things to look for would have been a lot more helpful. While I've breastfed all three of my children, I never really knew how much better breastfeeding is for them until I went looking for help online. Dr. Brazelton doesn't cover this either. He also doesn't cover the kinds of difficulties you can encounter with breastfeeding. He says that after the nipples "toughen up" (which breastfeeding websites deny happens), everything is wonderful. He completely ignores latch problems, thrush, plugged ducts, and other problems which can cause a mother to give up breastfeeding, particularly if she doesn't know there can be a problem. I also would have liked a "these things are normal at this age" list, and a "these are things you should ask your doctor about" list. While I've come away with a favorable opinion of the first 6 chapters, I can only hope there are no more glosses of useful information in the remainder of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from Dr. Brazleton, March 31 2003
By A Customer
This book follows in the tradition of previous publications and advice given by Dr. Brazleton in that it is delivered in a way that highlights the genuine love of children and assisting parents of the author. Dr. Brazleton's vast experience with children and their parents shines through as does his thorough and respected scientific experience. Dr. Brazleton seamlessly combines those areas of experience to offer this book as with all his advice. Dr. Brazleton addresses that each child and each parent has unique and individual needs and characters that will influnece the nature of the relationship that develops between the two. He addresses possibilities for not only "textbook" children and development, but offers suggestions and encourages parents to be creative for those "non-textbook" situations as well. Dr. Brazleton has again shown himself to be more than the average self-appointed "expert" on children.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has been my guide in understanding my child, March 1 2003
gabriela velarde bertran "cookie" (San Diego, California United States) - See all my reviews
Since I bought this book, I have not put it down. It has wonderful and beautiful insight on children«s feelings and behaviour. Every time a crisis has come up, I have found answers in this book. It has helped me see my baby with more tolerance, patience and understanding. I will give this book to every new parent I know. If Dr. Brazelton were my peditrician I would be a very lucky person, he sees children as individuals not just little noise makers. Understanding this about my child has made a much better parent. Do not miss out on this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, Oct. 20 2002
This book offers some good sound advice (e.g. about toilet training) but it also is way off the mark sometimes, especially some of the "touchy-feely" type language Dr. Brazelton suggests using with small children. For example, with regard to discipline, telling a child, "I love you, but I can't let you do this. Someday you'll learn to stop yourself, and then I won't need to stop you," sounds phony and too difficult for a child to grasp. It also seems to set some high expectations for various types of behavior and can make the reader question his/her parenting skills as much as improve them. In all, this is a good reference for ideas and perspectives, but not the child-rearing Bible I'd been expecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true help for mother & child., Sept. 30 2002
G. Whittington "Sewfun56" (Leesville, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I just received my used copy of Touchpoints: Your Child's Emotional & Behavioral Developement (Birth-3) from Earreads in 2 days. I think it is going to be just what this grandmother needs to get her baby on tract. Dr. Berry Brazelton uses such practical sense with kids. This common sense approach creates a sense of confidence in both mother & child. Also, Earreads sent the books to me so quickly & I do appreciate her effort. I will remember to use her help again if I can. She was very helpful too in that she sent me an email to let me know it was on the way! She doesn't have to do that. I feel very confident using the used section of the Amazon site. The book was in great shape too. Thanks guys!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Touchpoints: Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Developme, July 28 2002
Holly Leach (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This book has been a lifeline for me! I depended on it as a first-time mom 3 years ago with my first child, and now it is just as valuable as I raise my now 8-month-old twins. Whenever my children begin to experience eating, sleeping, or other behavorial difficulties, I go to this book and find out these behaviors are simply a result of their normal development. The advice to these problems is always practical, loving, common-sense, and most often successful. I would not advise anyone to get this book as their only reference book (don't buy it expecting to find treatments for diaper rash!), but it is most definitely a must-have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great on insight. Answers a lot of "whats" and "whys"., July 26 2002
By A Customer
My opinion is that this book offers a lot of great insight on what a child is experiencing at his or her different stages of development. As I experience new challenges in parenting, I often pick this book up to find that they are associated with the specific stage of my child's growth. I will frequently end up reading about exactly what we are dealing with and have a deeper understanding as to why.
I haven't found *anything* that offers 'fix-it' solutions for everything I encounter as a parent, but I have found that having this book as a tool to understanding what is happening and why provides me with comfort and often more patience to deal with issues that arise.
In addition to developmental reference, it also has a great topical reference section.

Touchpoints: Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
Touchpoints: Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development by T. Berry Brazelton (Hardcover - July 1 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.42