5.0 out of 5 stars The best-organized book I've read on Java (or ANY topic)!!!
Published on March 30 1998 by Wayne Cannon

3.0 out of 5 stars More useful after you already know something about Java
Published on Aug. 14 2001 by [ACCOUNT]

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars More useful after you already know something about Java, Aug. 14 2001
This review is from: The Java Tutorial: Object-Oriented Programming for the Internet with CDROM (Paperback)
This book is officially blessed by Sun Microsystems, but don't let that fool you - it isn't the best place to start with Java. If you've never used Java before, look for the "Core Java" book. Don't start with this one. I teach Java courses, and we originally tried to use this book as a supplement to in-class work. It wasn't terrible, but we found that the "Core Java" book was much better received than this for first time students.
This book was originally written for presentation on the Sun web site, where you can still find it. As a result, it's written in a format that is laced with links and cross references, which I found a little distracting in book form. It's still usable, though - and I'd rather have this much material in book form. You can't exactly curl up with a good laptop.
After you've already got the sort of good foundation in Java that a book like "Core Java" provides, this book can be very helpful. You can use this book to fill in the gaps and solidify your understanding of the language. It covers a host of important individual fundamental concepts rather well, and speaks intelligentally to language features, syntax, applets, and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for people with experience in OOP, otherwise..., May 7 1999
By A Customer
It always amazes me how one person can give a book a "five" and another a "one". The bottom line is that a certain amount of knowledge is necessary to get the full benefit from this book. Specifically, if you have very good knowledge of Object-oriented programming (preferrably C++ knowledge) then this book is for you! Otherwise, you're out of luck. Often, the authors will introduce code and will not explain it 'till many pages later. As someone with knowledge of C++, I found myself often saying, "Yeah, that looks familiar" or "Okay, I know I don't understand it, but I'm sure it'll be explained later." I could usually guess what the unfamiliar terminology was until it was explained. Again, the explanations are very good for C++ers; otherwise you'll be left scratching your head VERY quickly. Don't think that because you know FORTRAN you'll learn Java from this book. The authors go into bit manipulation and referencing objects with the "this" terminology pretty early into the book. They often introduce new code with no real explanation. They never give any examples that let you understand why OOP is so good. However, I found myself understanding just fine. Why? Because I already know C++! Bottom line: If you have good skills in C++ or some other OOP language and need to know Java quickly, this book is for you. If you think that because you know COBOL you're going to pick this book up and be able to learn OOP, FORGETTABOUTIT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best-organized book I've read on Java (or ANY topic)!!!, March 30 1998
Wayne Cannon "Wayne" (Healdsburg, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book does the best job I have ever seen of being both a tutorial and a reference book, and I've seen a lot. The content is excellent, accurate, and thorough; and the organization is not paralleled. It is well-organized; well-indexed; has nice detailed table of contents up front plus more detailed table of contents for each section; tells you what it is going to cover, tells you, and tells you what it covered; is strongly cross-referenced (like its Web version), complete with (accurate!) page numbers; and has a few pages on trouble-shooting and avoiding common problems following each section of four chapters or so. This last feature alone was worth the cost of the book to me in the first 24-hours after I received the book. Campione's and Walrath's "Java Tutorial Second Edition: Object-Oriented Programming for the Internet" is an excellent book. The Web version continues to be updated with new topics not yet covered in the print version (such as lightweight components and Swing). Can you tell that I like this book?

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to understand., Aug. 4 1998
By A Customer
I find this book difficult to understand, so I'm looking for another Java book to buy. (I'm an experienced programmer with 15 years in the industry but no OO experience.) For example, the authors cannot explain "throwing" and "catching" exceptions without using the words "throw" and "catch". This is like a dictionary defining a word by using that word in the definition. Sometimes these authors spend pages of your time giving you an overview that only serves to confuse you. Brief overviews are fine, but in most cases they should just get to the point. After reading some chapters, I've found myself reading the corresponding chapters in other Java books because I didn't feel as though I understood the material. Maybe the 2nd edition is better...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to learn Java from, March 19 1998
By A Customer
This is one of the better books for learning Java. It's clear text and frequent examples make it an easy read. One of the benefits of this book over every other single one on the market is that having been available on the web and read by thousands of Java programmers, the authors have gotten an enormous amount of feedback about what sections were good and what sections were confusing. The confusing one have been improved. I doubt that any other Java book has gone under such testing by fire (except for possibly the specification manuals).
If you are learning Java, you can't go wrong with this book. Even if you have been using Java for a long time, you can probably find a few topics in this book that you are not that familiar with that will make this book worthwhile.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Java overview for experienced programmers, Jan. 3 2000
This is a good intro tutorial for experienced programmers familiar with Object-oriented programming(OOP), but people not familiar with an OOP language like C++ will find the explanations lacking and terminology confusing, even though it does try to explain OOP. For the experienced programmer, this books gives a good overview on the various features of the Java language, but you'll have to turn to another reference for more advanced subjects and class descriptions, though the CD does includes complete listing of the Java API. But this book can't really be recommended unless you have to have a book in front of you because the complete tutorial is freely available online and for download on Sun's site at [...] where the tutorial is more up-to-date than the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Java programmer's answer book, Feb. 2 1999
By A Customer
Since I chose JBuilder as my development environment, I learned the basics of Java by using a JBuilder-centric book (JBuilder 2 Bible, by Eric Armstrong). But, the books that are best at teaching the fundamentals are rarely the best at bringing the beginner to intermediate-level knowledge. The Java Tutorial fills that gap amazingly well.
Whenever I have a question about Java, whether it is a general question such as, "How do threads work?" to something specific like, "Can I use a Dialog pop-up window in my Applet?", the answer is in the Tutorial. And the answers it provides are complete, clear, and (most of all) useful.
With the Java Tutorial at my side, I can code with more confidence and produce better programs.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book I have ever bought, Feb. 11 1999
By A Customer
If you're a beginner to Java-programming: DON'T buy this book. This is probably the worst book I have ever read in my entire life. And I meen it. It's a struggle to just look up a specific simple command. The examples are much to complex. To learn to bring up a window (fx) you have to read 7 pages of code, when one or two pages is enough. That would even be OK if the rest of the code was explained - but it isn't. Have a look at the on-line version before bying this book. When I bought this book I was a fairly experienced programmer in Pascal, Basic, Visual Basic and Delphi, so it's not the programming itself that is the problem. I'm only sorry that it's not possible to give 0 stars (1 is the lowest).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the serious contenders, Sept. 17 1998
By A Customer
My bookshelf is overflowing with Java books that I've purchased through the months. Campione's and Walrath's book is by far the best. This book contains as much beef as does Horstmann's and Cornell's Core Java series. It also has a very good blend of the human element - not just dull, dry, boring techno talk. Their light sprinkling of humor certainly helps break up the tedium.
I found their discussion of the basic Java fundamentals to be the best - very clear and very accurate. Simple enough for the beginner and not insulting to the advanced. I especially appreciated their practical programming and troubleshooting tips.
I'm really looking forward to their next collaborative effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplesmente o MÁXIMO !, June 17 1998
By A Customer
Sem sombras de dúvida, um dos melhores livros escritos àqueles que desejam entrar, sem os traumas inerentes à programação estruturada voltada à Internet, no maravilhoso mundo JAVA. Em estilo simples e competente, as autoras conseguem passar de maneira clara todos os conceitos envolvidos no desenvolvimento de applets e outros poderosos recursos que a linguagem oferece. É uma publicação obrigatória e indispensável para quem pensa em desenvolver aplicações sérias e profissionais nesta área que promete ser a tendência em informática do futuro: a quebra de barreiras através da grande rede. Eu recomendo !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›