4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting introduction
I read this book as my first book towards learning functional programming and Haskell specifically. With many years of (imperative and object oriented) software engineering behind me, the concept of functional programming was interesting.
Published on Jan. 17 2001 by Doug310

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Material, Awful Typography
This book may indeed be suitable for beginners in functional programming. Having had some previous exposure to FP, I found it very slow going, with tediously long discussion of trivial toy examples.
Published on Dec 31 2001 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting introduction, Jan. 17 2001
Doug310 (New York City, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming (Paperback)
The good parts of this book are that it is extremely well organized. It includes many helpful exercises (which I highly recommend) and a very good introduction (the first ten or dozen chapters).
Later on in the book, however, I found increasing difficulty. The author picks up the pace of the material without, in my opinion, justification. By the end, he covers what, from reading several other books and many online articles, I consider the most confusing topic in a single chapter or two. Reading it several times, I'm still uncertain how to build an I/O intensive program in Haskell, and/or what a Monad truly is and/or how exception processing is properly handled.
That notwithstanding (because it seems to be a fairly common complaint of new Haskell students) I quite enjoyed the book. Before you buy it, though, you may wish to consider books from Paul Hudak (a Yale professor and nice guy) and Richard Bird, both of whom have written on Haskell; Paul actually taught a class which I avoided back in the early 90s - too bad, too, because then I wouldn't have to start from scratch so many years later.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 18 2001
Ronald J. Legere (Las Vegas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming (Paperback)
This was my first text on Haskell, and it certainly got me up to speed on all the essential elements. I prefer Hudaks text for most things, but there is no good reason not to own every Haskell book you can get your hands on. This book is especially strong on learning how to prove things about programs.
It doesnt get to Monads until near the end, but perhaps that is a good thing. It depends on what you want out of a text.
I used this text for self study, and it is well suited to such a task.

5.0 out of 5 stars Software Engineer, Sept. 25 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming (Paperback)
This book is an excellent piece for individuals in the software industry who have programmed and have excellent skills with programming languages however did not encounter the other concept which I call functional programming. It's a good start depending what is the intended goal and use. If you're currently programming some sort of mathematical logic programs or a combination of boolean algebra and proover verification systems, then that's the book for you. It serves the purpose.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Material, Awful Typography, Dec 31 2001
Amazon Customer "microtherion" (Sim City, CA (Somewhere in the Bay Area)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming (Paperback)
Aggravating these flaws is the typography, which is not just ugly, but dysfunctional: The font used for the unnumbered section headers is not sufficiently distinguished from the text font, so it is impossible to skip over the examples to new material being discussed.

1.0 out of 5 stars $48 down the drain, Oct. 10 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming (Paperback)
My excitement to learn Haskell faded with every page turned. The Author presented the subject with such excitement comparable only to that of watching paint dry.

Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming
Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming by Simon Thompson (Paperback - April 8 1999)
CDN$ 81.35 CDN$ 65.98
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available