march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 23, 2016
Acurate and fast shipping
on May 24, 2015
In a nutshell, this book explains a great many things that all software professionals should know and practice. I enjoyed it and have found myself referring back to the book on numerous occasions.
on May 8, 2015
Excellent. Right to the point.
on March 8, 2014
This book is a must ready for all software developers. We are reading this book as a team at work. It's suggestions are invaluable to improving my work.
on July 12, 2013
Very good book for software engineers caring about their craft!

Manage to put into words stuff that most competent already feel, but have trouble phrasing.
on February 15, 2012
There is a great number of positive reviews for this book, and rightfully so, however there are some critics with a good deal of experience in programming that seem to have some majors problems with it. I believe it comes down to this: it is packed full of common sense and great tips but it's all advice that anyone that has had a few years of experience will probably have picked up already. I wish I had come upon this book as I was entering the job market, but most of it just made me nod in agreement. While I didn't get the epiphany other books managed to provide, even for an experienced programmer, it is good to be reminded of those sound advices and of why exactly we do the things we do the way we do them.

All the tips are covered superficially, but with enough depth that you understand the what and the why, and can still go to the next one quickly. Further chapters don't depend on previous ones, so you can jump in at any topic that interests you. As such, it makes a good a-tip-a-day read.

While the main advice it provides is simply "care about your craft", it is advice I wish more would follow and this book just might convince some and teach the beginners some of what that actually entails. In the end, the simplicity of this book is what makes it such an interesting read.

The font is indeed a bit too big to be comfortable on the eyes, but the chapters are short enough that you aren't forced to strain for hours. The layout of the chapters also seems a bit random.
on August 13, 2011
What a bore! I got this book in hopes of acquiring something that would forever change my coding style, and introduce me to the many deeper concepts of programming that I didn't yet know of. Instead I was reintroduced to all of the basic concepts of programming, concepts that the average programmer should already be aware of.
on May 22, 2009
Many experienced programmers will have already learned many of the lessons in this book and will be frustrated by the lack of depth. I was hoping for more detail in many sections but as I have not really been programming professionally (after entering management) for a number of years there were a few tidbits, or reminders that encouraged me to go look elsewhere for more detail.

For a new programmer there is a lot in this book to offer. Communication is covered in the first chapter and this is certainly an area that many junior programmers/designers have when first starting out. Orthogonality, how to deliver an estimate, writing your own code generators, and so on are all concepts that many programmers, for whatever reasons, haven't been exposed to.

So, don't buy this if you are looking for more details (i.e, the proper way to write a good unit test)... you'll need to go elsewhere for that. But if you want a decent framework of good methodology, this is worth a look
on May 26, 2008
This need to be read. Re-read and Re-Re-read every once in a while.

Those are great type that only experience gives you.
on November 17, 2007
Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master is a book that every developer should have in their book shelves. Excellent book that started the excellent Pragmatic Programmer series!