march boutiques-francophones SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Unlimited cloud storage Music Deals Store Tools Registry sports

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on May 17, 1999
I was 15, my mother died of a heart-attack and it was unexpected. Many of the women in this book knew their mothers into adulthood and after putting this book down I was extremely disappointed that the author had not sought out a larger cross-section of the grieving public, and that she had transplanted grieving daughters into the culture of victimhood for lack of a better place to put us sociologically. It's been 11 years now, and having read this book 3 years ago, I am surprised to feel as healed as I do. Yes, losing one's mother is awful and leaves a void (especially if the two of you got along and it was a nurturing relationship as it was with my mom and obviously the author's mom), but get a grip and get back into your life and start living it again! Occasionally feeling empty and wanting your mother to be there is normal, you are not a victim of something cosmic or karmic or whatever, you're just part of nature and death occurs in nature with alarming frequency. If you lost your mother at a young age, it would be good to skip this book and just seek professional help if you are having difficulties.
on February 3, 2003
I thought this book was ok, but definitely geared towards women who lost their mothers at a young age - I am 33 and lost my mom 3 weeks ago. None of the content really helped me.
on March 4, 2003
I bought this book along with "The Orphaned Adult" (which I highly recommend for everyone who has lost both parents). I don't doubt that this book warrants a higher rating in general; however, I found it to be much more applicable to girls who were much younger when their mothers died. I was 26 when my mother died suddenly at 48 years of age. Now, I am the age she was when she died and I have yet to find a book specific to losing your mother as a young adult and the impact that has on you as you get older. Perhaps I need to write one...