biss boutiques-francophones Learn more Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on May 17, 1999
I was 15, my mother died of a heart-attack and it was unexpected. Many of the women in this book knew their mothers into adulthood and after putting this book down I was extremely disappointed that the author had not sought out a larger cross-section of the grieving public, and that she had transplanted grieving daughters into the culture of victimhood for lack of a better place to put us sociologically. It's been 11 years now, and having read this book 3 years ago, I am surprised to feel as healed as I do. Yes, losing one's mother is awful and leaves a void (especially if the two of you got along and it was a nurturing relationship as it was with my mom and obviously the author's mom), but get a grip and get back into your life and start living it again! Occasionally feeling empty and wanting your mother to be there is normal, you are not a victim of something cosmic or karmic or whatever, you're just part of nature and death occurs in nature with alarming frequency. If you lost your mother at a young age, it would be good to skip this book and just seek professional help if you are having difficulties.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2003
I thought this book was ok, but definitely geared towards women who lost their mothers at a young age - I am 33 and lost my mom 3 weeks ago. None of the content really helped me.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2003
I bought this book along with "The Orphaned Adult" (which I highly recommend for everyone who has lost both parents). I don't doubt that this book warrants a higher rating in general; however, I found it to be much more applicable to girls who were much younger when their mothers died. I was 26 when my mother died suddenly at 48 years of age. Now, I am the age she was when she died and I have yet to find a book specific to losing your mother as a young adult and the impact that has on you as you get older. Perhaps I need to write one...