5.0 out of 5 stars A classic that will always be readable
This book is timeless because it discusses recurring problem situations with elegance, clarity, and insight. The book is about thinking and problem-solving more than it is about the particular circumstances it discusses.
For instance, the very first chapter ("Cracking the Oyster") would seem to be about the problem of sorting on disk: surely an archaic...
Published on Nov. 30 2001 by William A. Huber

3.0 out of 5 stars Book of stories
The book wa interesting to me as the collection of stories about programming and problems that programer can meet in his work. the solutions in the book are brilliant.
On the other hand, I don't lik that book treats some very specific problem areas, which are unconnecet mutually. Secondly, there are many things in this book which are completely out of date. I don't...
Published on Sept. 12 2002 by Alen Lovrencic

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Dec 24 2003
Mark Nenadov "arm-chair reader" (Essex, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Pearls (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This book is amazing! Its a true classic on algorithims.
I would place this on my list of the top 5 programming books of all time. A must read for every who calls themselves a "programmer".

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're at all experienced, seek other reading., Sept. 22 2002
This review is from: Programming Pearls (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I only have 2 years of programming experience. I read an awful lot of programming texts. Right now I have 10 books just on C itself. Not to mention all the java and C++ books... My point to saying this is, if you've already read as many books as I have, this book will do nothing for you. I read this book over the weekend and was just astonished with how simple minded it all was. I constantly said "Duh..." throughout the entire book. The pseudo code in this book was the worst I've ever seen. I have never returned a book before except for "Linux Socket Programming". I returned this one today.
The reason I did give this book 3 stars was because I can see it being extremely great for uneducated newbies. It will teach them a great deal and have them think about efficiency and general good programming practices.
I was amazed at all of the great reviews I saw with this book. Everyone that gave a review must of been new to computer programming. I was personally expecting a few more advanced topics such as real C and C++ code. Not the .... pseudo code that this author insisted on using.
Overall, this is a great book for neophytes. If you're new to programming, get this book and give it a good once over. Don't pay attention to his style though... As he stated in the book, it's due to the constraints on space and the fact he didn't want to write a 1200 page book. However, if you have gotten to the point where you've studied advanced data structures and algorithms and know what a linked list is and a binary tree and you understand the concepts behind a heap, priority queues and such, I'd go for another book that is going to advance your knowledge, not bring it back a step.

ARRAY(0xa845700c)

Programming Pearls (2nd Edition)
Programming Pearls (2nd Edition) by Jon Bentley (Paperback - Sept. 27 1999)
CDN$ 41.99 CDN$ 26.45