5.0 out of 5 stars Great design lessons from "old friends"
Published on Dec 13 2005 by Jeff Fisher

1.0 out of 5 stars not very helpful
I didn't like it and it didn't help me. I was looking for a tutorial, but this book is more like an overview of web design.
Published on Dec 17 2001 by tyrhon144000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design lessons from "old friends", Dec 13 2005
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
The tone of the book "Robin Williams Design Workshop" makes the reader feel as if they are having a conversation about graphic design with old friends or a favorite design instructor from the past. With the authors having also written "The Non-Designer's Design Book," "The Non-Designer's Web Book" and others, that sense of familiarity is well founded. In the introduction it is written that this is a book for "mere-mortal" designers - meaning "aspiring designers who are in the process of developing their skills and getting experience; designers who are not famous (yet); and designers who are looking for design books to add to their collection, books that will give them some insight into the design process." Williams and Tollett do not disappoint those readers. Through colorful and detailed examples, designers are taken through the thought and creation process of a variety of projects including logos, ads, web sites, newsletters, brochures and more. In the section "Designers & the Design Process" the reader is shown the processes and work styles of six different designers as they create a book cover, logo and identity packages, promotional materials, an office space, web sites, student project assignments, typography and collateral materials. This latest offering from "old friends" is a fun and valuable design resource. - Jeff Fisher, writer of bLog-oMotives and "Logo Notions" on CreativeLatitude.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Robin Williams Design Workshop, March 17 2004
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
I found this book very informative and interesting. It had a lot of useful information, and the info was presented in a very "reader-friendly" format. There were a lot of examples in the book used to prove a point, instead of a 'just take it for granted' procedure. The book was simple and straightforward but not boring. The book was written 'to' the audience, with words like 'you' and 'your' instead of 'one' or 'some designers'. It really made the book have a personal impact.
On the other hand, the book wasn't 'all encompassing', like it seemed to be. Many references to previous books by the author showed that this was a book for most people. I would have added more to the book instead of constantly referring to previous books, if I was the author. Also, in the book, questions are asked to the reader, but there aren't answers printed anywhere in the book, which can be confusing.
Personally, I would rate this book as an 8 on a scale of 1-10. It was a great book to read and it taught me a lot. It could have had more 'guts', but it was very well written. I would definitely suggest this book to others, if they were interested in design. It was well worth my time and a good book to 'keep on file!'
By M.L.Conklin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!!, April 1 2003
desr333 (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
This is an easy read, cover to cover. Large colorful image examples and lots of space around text make the read easy and enjoyable. I love color examples especially when the subject is design. This is a great design reference and all around great book.
This was a definite idea generator. Working with web design, I find it difficult to find books that focus more on design aspects, and this book touches on many design aspects including web design, brochures, and all kinds of things! The Web design workshop book is more focused on web design, but this is an excellent companion to generate ideas and get great design concepts and ideas to keep in mind for any medium!
I love this book and the Web design workshop and can't wait to read more from the authors! I appreciate the layout of the book and the way it was made easy to follow. I hate reading books that are too technical and full of text from top to bottom, and this book was so refreshing because it's just the opposite! The authors also kept in mind that some readers would be experienced designers and some beginners and accommodate us all with style and grace. Thanks Robin and John!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning experience, May 1 2001
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
I am not a graphics artist nor an art student. I needed some ideas for a project and this book came in very handy. I learned a lot from "The Non-Designer's Design Book" by the same author and when I saw this book, I just had to get it. It is one of my best investments yet. I love learning new things and this book opened my eyes to many aspects of design.
At first, I was almost going to give up and hand over the project to a professional but after reading the book, I found many helpful ideas and was inspired to give it a try on my own. I produced a flyer, a Flash presentation, a product logo and a report layout and cover based on the lessons from these two books. I will not claim that they are works of art but many friends and clients have complemented on the outcome. Some of my clients even thought that I had had them professionally done.
Although there are others who will say that some of us just has the flair for designing, I don't think I would have been able to do all that without the help of these two books. For those of you who wish to create artwork for print, I would recommend starting with "The Non-Designer's Design Book" and then advancing to this book. Also check out some other books by the same publisher mentioned in the introductory chapter of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, March 8 2001
Frank Sinkavich (York, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
Robin Williams Design Workshop is a well written text that contains a lot of valuable information for both beginners and those already familiar with desk top publishing. Design Workshop gives you some new ways to look at things, including many good examples that demonstrate concepts discussed in the text. Design Workshop is directed at those who have some existing knowledge on the areas of typography, graphics, and layout software. However, she presents short quizzes that allow you to test your knowledge and if you feel the need, she also provides references where the information can be found. I do a lot of advertising layouts in addition to a quarterly newsletter that will benefit from the information and ideas discussed in the book. Robin Williams Design Workshop is the kind of a book you will read more than once-a good reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Idea Generator, Feb. 2 2003
MJS Web Solutions (Alameda, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
After purchasing Web Design Workshop (and loving it), I desired more books from this wonderful author. I have my own web design business and was asked to build a newsletter. The Design Workshop book came in handy. Every page is worth reading and filled with great color. She gives clear examples of good print work and how to capture the reader. The most important quote in the book, "We may talk about creating a design, buy what we really want to do is communicate-communicate an idea, a feeling, or a message." This is so important in print and web design. My personal breakthrough from this book was the awareness of the many different image fonts I could use in my design.
Robin Williams forces a designer (or reader) to look outside the box and try new design techniques. A fabulous book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-designers get another boost!, Nov. 7 2001
R. Stephen Gracey (Cleveland, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
As a self-taught, working graphic designer, I am indebted once again to Robin Williams' clear, principle-based teaching approach. Having become her fan through the "Non-Designer" book series, I found this one the best help yet.
Williams gives us more principles of sound design, which she then shows at work through a series of daily applications--letterhead, web sites, brochures, etc. She uses the principles in example after example, explaining why they are examples of good or blah design. I return to her examples again and again for simple ideas to juice up my non-profit communications and raise my customers' expectations of visual communication.
Snazzy pictures, lots of ideas, and comforting encouragement all make this one an essential part of my reference library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right to the point, June 30 2001
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
I just love the way Robin Williams and her coauthors approach their books. It's so refreshing to have an author be direct. There's no "this may not be the optimum...." Ms. Williams simply says: "Don't use that font." Then she tells you why. The design workshop is not only attractive to behold but the book gives the reader a million ideas to choose from.
It's a clean, informative and funny book whose authors don't do a lot of waffling. If you're the fussy designer type you won't like it but if you enjoy people who just plain like what they do, read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robin Williams Design Workshop, Nov. 27 2000
R. Monger (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
This book was very insightful. I am a desktop publishing professional and was looking for ideas for website design. This book enlightened me to the many considerations in designing for paper distribution versus web publishing. It asked questions on a number of design topics and based upon your expertise level, the author directed you to other references. The illustrations were great. I am going to purchase The Non-Designers Design Book and The Non-Designers Web Book by Robin Williams and John Tollett.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear as there is..., April 19 2002
George N. Mills (Santaquin, Utah USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Design Workshop (Paperback)
I love this book. Real problems, real solutions. He takes you through the steps of recognizing a design issue, allowing you to see the variations and experiments that he tried before he got what he wanted. There are is a great variety of different types of projects here, and you will not get bored with it. No fluff, just straightforward ideas and teaching. I am going to buy his other books now. I highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Robin Williams Design Workshop
Robin Williams Design Workshop by John Tollett (Paperback - Oct. 26 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.33