5.0 out of 5 stars As influencial as the Design Pattern book has been 10 years ago
I read a lot of programming books (maybe too much sometimes... :-) and I think that I am getting very hard to impress but I must confess that this book is very special. It is one of the rare book that did really open my eyes on new possibilities for programming. What the author is doing with templates are things that I have never imagined possible.

The basic...
Published on May 2 2007 by Olivier Langlois

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but..
I have to say that this is indeed a good book but it as it share of problems.
The chapter about type list is good, the functor is very good and its multimethods is greate. The reset is between nice to poor. Is implemention of singleton is simply poor programming in both design and implemetion. He seem to fall to any trap posible on the way to impelementing it. The...
Published on May 5 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complex to use, July 7 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied (Paperback)
I am an advanced user of C++. Though what the book contains is useful, it was frowned upon by my team mates as something too complex. If I were to write code using the techniques in this book, someone else reading the code would have a tough time understanding it. Don't get me wrong, my team mates are some of the best programmers you would get to meet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Templates are for containers only?, April 9 2001
This book changed my look on templates. I thought I'd use them only for containers... This bool explains advanced template techniques that allow You to customize you software by using templates ( and therefore in a very runtime efficient way ). I would give it a 'must read' even if you do not use templates because it also helps you understand how a C++ compiler sees the world. Be aware however that not all compilers can compile and run the samples ( and the Loki ) library ( M$VC 6.0 can't ).
The quality may not be up to where we excpect it from AW, but don't let that keep you away from this book. If something does not work or fails, call on comp.lang.c++.moderated, mostly the author himself will answer questions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too esoteric for normal C++ programmers, Oct. 7 2002
By A Customer
For normal practice, this book is useless. Even if somebody used some of the techniques in the book, the maintainability of the code would be zero.
How many programmers with a top 0.5% IQ do you know, anyway?
This book is way too esoteric for normal C++ programmers.

1.0 out of 5 stars ..., April 20 2002
John Doe (Bloomsbery, MO, USA) - See all my reviews
...
The stuff in this book IS an intellectual challenge, as such it's great, BUT! Life's full of intellectual challenges that offer a better practical payoff. This stuff is typical highbrow snobbery, academic extremism by (and for) tenured people who do no actual work and must squeeze out of themselves a piece of writing for the C++ Report on a monthly basis. That, btw, is precisely why I haven't read this useless publication in years.
Like I said: it is intellecually stimulating, if you got nothing else to do, by all means, indulge. Otherwise (if you are like 99.9(9)% of normal people) you'll spend your time much better working on something else - algorithms, hardware, another language, another OS, distributed systems, business issues, pricing, marketing, job-hopping, beer drinking, fulsome flattery towards your chief, checkin out babes, trainspotting... for goodness' sakes, what-...-ever, just simply get some extra sleep! - before you waste your time on this book.
Just my $.02 obviously.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is dangerous!!!, Jan. 12 2003
kathmandude (Den Haag Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I repeat, this book is dangerous! If my clients ever understand the consequences of what this book presents, I'm in trouble! The fact that you can change the whole behaviour of a program by simply changing one line of code (policy classes) or generate complete class hierarchies generically, and numerous other things, they'll expect that I can do everything in no time at all. There go my billable hours!!! No really, I actually give this book 6 stars because it has finally shown me ways of doing things I've always wanted to do but lacked the intelligence to figure out myself (namely generic Object Factories, Functors, among other things). I'm still looking forward to Andrei's description of a generic Observer class as that has been stumping me for quite a while now. I've had to read this book a few times just to absorb what's going on. As for practical, I've applied the concepts to be able to write code in a few lines instead of thousands.

ARRAY(0xb19696cc)

Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied
Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied by Andrei Alexandrescu (Paperback - Feb. 13 2001)
CDN$ 67.99 CDN$ 42.83