5.0 out of 5 stars Two words: Exceptionally useful
If I could keep only one of the dozen or so User Interface-related books I purchased in 2003, this would be the one.
I haul it along to most of my clients (I'm a user interface designer). The design patterns in the book actually do help us to design more effectively. The patterns describe recurring issues and trade-offs in relation to specific design problems. Each...
Published on May 4 2004 by UI dame

2.0 out of 5 stars Might be OK for some beginners, but wordy, and lacks depth
I bought this book so it would provide me with domain-specific pieces of usability knowledge, but it failed at that. Althought there are concrete examples, there's nothing learn from them, as the explanations are so general they almost seem canned. It just takes basic usability concepts and applies them to popular domains, without going into any depth. And you don't need...
Published on Feb. 14 2004 by Egor Shipovalov

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good points, but it's better for design agencies, March 3 2004
Melissa Pfeifer (Austinn, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design of Sites, The: Patterns, Principles, and Processes for Crafting a Customer-Centered Web Experience (Paperback)
I manage a large corporate website, and was looking for good book which provides examples of common dilemmas faced in managing a corporate website...this book failed to answer them with any true substance. This book is geared more towards the design agencies only, not people who design and develop in-house. Also, I felt that it was very basic and covered many things I learned in my early days of web development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Web designers: please read this!, Oct. 7 2002
shaw6 (Sydney, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
If everyone designing a site read and implemented the advice in this book using the web would be an utterly different experience.
Beautifully organised and cross referenced, clearly written without in any way being patronising, this is a useful book for anyone designing an interfaced. People already working in interface design can learn a thing or two as well.
A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I n c r e d i b l e !, Sept. 3 2003
"bluesparkplug" (Cleveland, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This is absolutely the best book I've ever read in regards to web development. I very rarely read a book word for word but this one I'm actually highlighting as I read. If you design or develop websites then this is a must read. I think it creates a nice bridge between designers and developers and puts them on the same page, creating a site for CUSTOMERS to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great information, a bit dense, May 7 2003
M. Mormando "Jarhead that reads" (Kaysville, UT USA) - See all my reviews
While I found the information in this book to be invaluable, I was expecting something along the lines of "Don't make me think" which I found enjoyable to read. If I weren't used to wading through programming books I might not have made it to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, Aug. 18 2003
By A Customer
Excellent resource into the theory behind the design of an effective website.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›