5.0 out of 5 stars If you build web pages... you NEED this book. . .
I've conducted many web design seminars and workshops around the country since 1994. I've written dozens of articles on the topic for WebDesign-Review.com -- and when I recommend a book on web design, this is THE ONE!
Published on March 7 2002 by Fred Showker

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best
The Non-Designer's Web Book is a better choice. For starters, this book is a bit Mac and PhotoShop-centric, so some of the specifics may not be helpful. (Why people still shell out hundreds for PhotoShop when Jasc's Paint Shop Pro does the same thing for 1/6 the price, I'll never understand.)
The design examples are good but a bit limited in creativity, variety, and...
Published on April 24 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, April 24 2004
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
The design examples are good but a bit limited in creativity, variety, and possibilities. She covers all the basics about proximity, contrast, and alignment, for example, but you can get that in her other books. The designs here are fairly static and rely mainly on tables for layout. There's a little slicing-and-dicing, but no mortized sites or style-sheet driven sites like you see in 3rd-generation web design. Instead, this is something of a repeat of 2nd-generation design that came along a bit too late to be "new."
Instead, I'd recommend her "Non-Designer's Web Book" and her "Design Workshop." The latter covers all the concepts of THIS book in a single chapter! And then includes chapters on business cards, letterhead, brochures, and other projects, so you get all this and more in a similar book by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you build web pages... you NEED this book. . ., March 7 2002
Fred Showker "DTG Magazine" (The Design Bookshelf) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
. . . The important feature of this book is not the lavish graphics or the superb text on how to apply good design sense to creating web pages. The most important information here is found in the chapters where Robin addresses the pre-production steps and dealing with clients.
. . . All the flashy stuff -- the graphics, the dynamics and cosmetics don't amount to a hill of beans unless the designer has fulfilled the basic obligations of presenting the client's information so that the client is happy, and readers will embrace the message.
. . . Robin presents clear, concise and even entertaining techniques for developing a copy platform (a term little used in today's flashy web design circles) an outline, and a good client working relationship.
. . . Enjoy the lavish illustrations -- learn from the crafty techniques for everything from optimized images to slicing and dicing. But above all study the chapters on WHY you design the way you do rather than how.
. . . This is a rousing Editor's Choice in the Designers' Bookshelf for March 2002 and once you have it in your hands you'll see why.
Fred Showker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., March 13 2002
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
Normally, I'm a big fan of Robin Williams, and I own 4 of her other books. But not this one. It has some great ideas, but most of the techniques are heavily specific to particular software packages like Adobe's $700 PhotoShop (and at times, there's a definite bent towards the Mac, too).
I think it's worthwhile to page through for some ideas, and there are some good ones. But don't let the colorful, glossy pages fool you. I gave it 3 stars because the fact is that there are some equally-solid Web design books out there that present even more design ideas AND are not specific to any particular development tool or platform.
I'd recommend "Robin Williams' Design Workshop" instead. It includes things like brochures, business cards and letterhead, but it can't hurt to get ideas from a variety of resources, and to see how web pages are different from the various types of printed media.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled void, Sept. 15 2001
Jorge Tendeiro "Socratic Life" (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
I'm a Multimedia student close to graduation from an institution which unfortunately is quite a bit behind in it's technology and methods. Because of this both myself and a lot of other students kind of felt there was quite a bit missing from our skills, we just didn't know exactly what it was until I found this book.
Apart from answering all those nagging little questions, it encouraged and inspired me to keep going and do what one wants to do mostly...DESIGN, without the fear of not being able to make the thing workable. So good is the book infact that the lecturers want to use the material for the students future learning. This just emphasizes Robins uncanny way of compiling a book which helps, compliments and adheres to a students needs.
GET THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book, Sept. 13 2001
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
I'm a data base developer inching towards deploying data to web pages. I make no pretence of design skills and all of Robin's books have been of enormous help to me. This book would be worth the price for the images alone, but the brief discussions of technique are also valuable. She uses example of pages prepared using several tools, including PhotoShop, DreamnWeaver, GoLive and ImageReady. None of the examples are particularly dependent of which software is used.
The good stuff just pours out of her...
The copy I have of this book has a very different cover (the ISBN number is the same)... a large multi-hued letter W. Perhaps it's a second edition, or a last minute design change. The copyright is 2002; the authors are the same.
Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Gem!, June 13 2002
Ann (Silver Spring, Moldova, Republic of) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
As a designer who is getting into web design, I have found this book to be a gem. It will not serve as a replacement for any software "how-to" books. What it will do is give you a solid overview of the web design process. It leads new web designers away from the all too frequently used effects which will make their sites amateurish and slow to load. Although it is a general overview, the authors give some very specific and useful techniques to use in Photoshop, ImageReady, GoLive, Dreamweaver, and other programs. I found it to be very clearly written and well illustrated. The spare layout should not be mistaken for lack of content.
It was a pleasure to read this book from cover to cover and that in itself is rare for a web book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Web Design Book!, Feb. 2 2003
MJS Web Solutions (Alameda, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
There is no better web design book out there than Robin Williams, Web Design Workshop. A huge collection of images, sample design works, ideas, and how to's. She begins by explaining the importance of planning, working with your client and the first phases of the web development process. The major breakthrough for me (and why I love this book so much) was the chapter on "Slicing & Dicing". Before this book, I would create all my work in the "HTML Box" layout. Now, I design everything in Photoshop first, slice it, optimize and build the HTML from the Photoshop framework. So much easier for me and the client and now my websites are more eye appealing. Great book! Buy it immediately.

2.0 out of 5 stars Generally overrated, June 10 2002
Richard Eltzroth (Cotopaxi, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
I bought this web design book 2 weeks ago based on the reviews ... . It was actually a disappointment. Upon completion of the book I had seen a lot of nice web designs by Robin Williams' design firm but I still didn't know how to even begin my own design except that I needed to shell out [money] for Dreamweaver or GoLive. The attitude of the authors appeared to be "good web design takes years to learn so why don't you just hire us to do it for you" instead of actually teaching the reader. If you're a beginner like me, try "Learning Web Design" by Jennifer Niederst instead. I learned more in the first 25 pages of it than in the whole Williams book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty book, no substance., June 1 2002
Alvin D Schneider (St. Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
I bought it because the Preface said, "We focus on design." The book covers dealing with the client to safe browser colors. This is a lot of territory to cover in a book with big pictures, lots of white space and little text. One page had 40 words on it and three pictures. Comments on buttons was "Keep them small and useful." Hmmmm. The book is very well done from an artistic point of view. I assume the book is on the shelf because the proposal to the Acquitions Editor was smashing. I shall consider other books by this publisher carefully.

3.0 out of 5 stars One flaw, July 2 2004
This review is from: Robin Williams Web Design Workshop (Paperback)
One big flaw in the book, and one that alot of web design books make, is the recommendation of Matt's Script Archives for CGI scripts. DON'T use Matt's scripts, and beware of any CGI scripts you find on the web. If you do want the functionality (or would like to replace the MSA scripts you have), look for the NMS scripts (google for "matt" and "nms"). Matt's scripts are not maintained, and many security and other problems have been fixed in the NMS scripts (e.g. use the old formmail script, and anyone can use your server to send spam).

Robin Williams Web Design Workshop
Robin Williams Web Design Workshop by Dave Rohr (Paperback - July 25 2001)
CDN$ 46.99 CDN$ 28.14