5.0 out of 5 stars "Visual" is misleading, but the book is very good
I usually avoid "visual" computer books because they often have too many screen shots and little information. However, this book is different. I picked it up in a bookstore and found that it looked reasonable, so I bought it. I was right.
Published on Dec 15 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars You don't need this book
This book is not bad. The problem is that everything that teach you, you can learn it for free on the internet. If is the first contact with the language maybe is useful, it wasn't, so I can't tell.
That's why you don't need this book if you have access to internet and who haven't. If you know how to program try the tutorial included in the standard distribution and...
Published on July 17 2002 by Jose

5.0 out of 5 stars "Visual" is misleading, but the book is very good, Dec 15 2002
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
So don't expect lots of screen shots or other visual aids. The book shows mainly very short code snippets in a Python command shell interpreter. Only where required (for example modules) complete scripts are given. But it works well, giving you just enough code to solve your problem.
It is a very useful, nearly complete introduction and reference to core Python, including the installation. For special purpose libraries (Tkinter, other GUIs, regular expressions, integrating C/C++, number crunching, communication, Web) short hints are given where to look or you have to look yourself.
One extremely important issue covered in this book is how to make deep copies of nested lists, which is hard to find in some other Python books.
It covers Python up to 2.1, some features of 2.2 are mentioned.
The book has a good value for the price.

This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
It covers Python up to 2.1, some features of 2.2 are mentioned.
The book has a good value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, Nov. 10 2002
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
For an amateur programmer with some experience in other languages this is an excellent first book on python. I have to admit I like to read a fair amount about the programming language before I actually sit down and write some code and I read about half the book in a weekend (while interacting with my two kids ages 1.5 and 3 years). I liked the way the book was organized, the numerous examples on each section ranging from simple to difficult, and the various tips. In a week's time I went from not knowing anything about python to writing real life utility modules to process lists and communicate with other programs. The only criticism I have is the attempt to force this book into a visual quick start format. There is nothing "visual" about this book. The so called "visual" portions are code examples arranged as "figures". Also this book does not cover GUIs, and other useful python libraries such as NumPy, although it does tell you how to get the information from websites. I cannot disagree with the reviewer who stated that this book does not give any more information than that available online. I am not sure if that is true because I have only briefly scanned the online documentation. For someone like me who prefers to read books on paper, this is well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternative to O'Reilly, Aug. 13 2002
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
When we start a new project at work, my manager usually just buys a bunch of the relevant O'Reilly books and hands them out to the team. For a recent web project (with Zope), he bought this book instead because O'Reilly's _Learning Python_ is so outdated. I was surprised to like it because Peachpit mostly publishes books for learning Excel or Photoshop or HTML and isn't known for programming books. The author must have put one over on Peachpit because this book has a lot of advanced stuff (and clearly written). For example, to be a Python expert you need to know namespaces backwards and forwards -- they're as important in Python as pointers are in C. The explanation of namespaces in the Python documentation is pretty obscure and scattered throughout a few manuals, but in this book all you need to read are three consecutive sections (Understanding Namespaces, Understanding Scoping Rules, and Nesting Functions) to understand the concept well enough to start coding. There are lots of clever code snippets too. I definitely recommend buying this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reference for Python's syntax and core APIs., April 21 2002
Gordon (Winnipeg, MB, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
Summary
Python 2.1 is used in this book.
A "cookbook" style reference of Python's core syntax and core APIs. Beginner and intermediate Python programmers will find this book a great reference to get up to speed with the Python language.
This book does not teach general programming skills or how to use Python to solve common programming problems. It just provides the core Python framework for a programmer to build on.
This book covers all the basics that a programmer needs to learn about any new language, such as I/O, file handling, functions, strings and flow control statements.
It also covers features that Python handles uniquely, such as lists and tuples, dictionaries, modules and classes.
These topics are presented in a "cookbook how-to" fashion. It's a fantastic way to quickly find out how to do some common programming techniques or the syntax of a Python statement.
Screen dumps provide visual feedback on how commands should work. Occasionally there are tips about special considerations for a particular command.
I use this book as a handy hard copy reference or "dictionary" of Python's syntax and core APIs to help me transition over from other languages that I use to Python in a quick and easy manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The title is misleading..., Nov. 29 2001
anthony cervone (Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
" Visual Quickstart Guide Python" is the title of the book, not "Python for the WWW, etc" as this site calls it. In fact, there is nothing in it about the WWW. I am not a professional programmer, so this is one of several titles that I purchased to learn the language, and am I glad I did.I am also sorry that it was not my first book, because it would have saved me money and time to get to speed with learning Python. It's the clearest, most attractive( and illustrated, too)and well written book that I've seen so far. Every topic is presented with a sense of order and clarity . For example, when I glanced at the table of contents, I found chapter 10 was dedicated entirely to "Files", some 40 pages covering everything from "opening a file" to "Saving Objects As Files". And when I opened the book to the "Opening a file" page, the first sentence,"Python file operations are done by using file objects rather than file names", told me how intelligently and yet gently the author introduces the student to new and important concepts of the Python language. The page includes "Tips" and a complete code example, neatly separated from the book text, for the student to enter in the computer. I did not have to chase the examples through the text as in some other books. As the author cautions, this book is not intended to be exaustive, especially for advanced programming topics. The 400 pages, however, are a delight to read and use as you learn Python. I've set aside all the other books for now. Thank you Mr. Fehily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for a Beginner, Dec 1 2003
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
I don't usually go for "QuickStart" books, but I decided to spring for this one...
Honestly, it was the best investment a Python beginner like me could have made. First, I find the author's style clear and concise. Concepts are presented in a logical order. His examples range from the simple "proof of concept" ones to more involved ones, but all are easy to try out. Not only that, he covers a wide range of topics - so you get the fundamentals you need.
Most importantly for me, the book was easy to read. I could pick it up and refer to it for a topic and not have to wade through pages of dense text to get to the core. All in all, a well organized, well written and invaluable resource for any new python programmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Dec 5 2001
Richard Johnson (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
Incredibly well written and insightful. This book was *exactly* what I needed to learn python quickly. Instead of filling the book with useless examples that no one would ever use in 'real' life, Mr. Fehily has refreshingly provided just the right amount of code and commentary that got me up to speed with the language so that I could focus on using python in my own development.
Mr. Fehily has found just the right balance between a tutorial style teaching book and a well-organized reference book. Not only was it great while I was learning the language, but now it's the first place that I look when I run into trouble.
While not for first time programmers, this is definitely the book to buy if you need (or want) to learn python.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am ready for my first lesson, Dr. Chandra, Jan. 13 2002
This review is from: Python: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
Previous reviewers have noted that this book is lucid and well organized. True, but what really sets it apart are the numerous and clever examples (along with resulting output) that accompany each topic. The examples progress from simple to challenging and I found myself covering the answers and mentally figuring each result as I worked my way down each page. I found this "piecemeal" approach a much more effective (and entertaining) way of learning the mechanics of a programming language than traditional (and often impractical) line-by-line expositions of page-long programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am ready for my first lesson, Dr. Chandra, Jan. 13 2002

Python: Visual QuickStart Guide
Python: Visual QuickStart Guide by Chris Fehily (Paperback - Oct. 26 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.62