5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective Resource for C++
This book will greatly improve the quality of your C++ programs and designs. Not for beginners; you must have a decent understanding of C++ for this to be any help.
Published 12 months ago by Tyler S Kenyon

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his other books
Published on May 15 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his other books, May 15 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library (Paperback)
The only reason I picked up this book was because of his other book Effective C++. I liked the way he approached things in that book so I decided to pick up this book as well, trusting that I was going to get the same result. Writing a book on the STL is different however and the formula that worked for Effective C++ didn't work for this one at all. If you're looking for a book specifically on STL then I would recommend picking up something else before this one. If you've already read all the books on STL and you're looking for something that'll put some of those pieces together than this might be the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective Resource for C++, April 14 2013
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)

4.0 out of 5 stars a very good book, Nov. 25 2006
Olivier Langlois "www.OlivierLanglois.net" (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed to read this book as it contains very good tips. The only detail that annoys me a little bit is the amount of cross references between the items. The author first 2 books were a little bit like that but it seems to me that this one is too much. I would have prefered to have items more self contained. If you want to refer to a particular item, this one will refer to 2 other items that will refer to some more items and so on to the point where if you would like to close the open loop, you would need to consult all the items.

Except for this small annoyance, this book is very good. You should read it or have it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for experienced stl user, Aug. 19 2003
Tianzhi Yang "bystander" (NY,NY) - See all my reviews
Frankly this is not a beginner's book. You need some deep knowledge of c++ templates and working knowledge of stl to make the best out of this book.
Aside from introducing some caveats in STL programming, the main achievement of this book is to introduce the more descent part of STL which is less commonly used.
If you only use STL in the same way you use traditional data structure interfaces, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, Oct. 29 2002
Douglas Welzel (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Following in the tradition of his prior books, Meyers delivers another gem with Effective STL. This one is a must have for your software development bookshelf.
I user several STL books regularly and none of them have come close to giving me the in depth understanding that this book has. Sure, others are better references, beginner guides, etc.. but if you really want to understand what is going on under the covers and how to write -good- STL, this book is your answer. I have seen suggestions from this book result in massive performance improvements in naively written STL code.
Enough said, go pick up a copy .. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A C++ STL Book of Wisdom, Oct. 19 2002
Hi.
Effective STL is an advanced book of wisdom to some of the more important features in the C++ STL. There are many books about the STL, but this book definitely stands out in terms of its contents. Scott Meyers does not write an STL reference. Meyers writes an STL wisdom. He presents exceptional advices on important STL features including containers, iterators, algorithms, and function objects, and STL usage in terms of correctness, simplicity, efficiency, and pure speed.
Meyers answers this question: So you know fundamental features of the C++ STL, But do you know why and when to implement those C++ STL tools as solutions?
I highly recommend Effective STL.
Kuphryn

3.0 out of 5 stars More Brain Teaser than Tutorial, Sept. 3 2002
God bless Scott Meyers and this is (probably) a good book. But it doesn't fit into the same educational niche as his books on effective C++. I read "Effective C++: 50..." WHEN I was learning C++, and it made sense and it enhanced the learning experience. It left me with the impression that I could master C++. I read "Effective C++: 35..." after I learned C++ and was left with the impression that C++ could always find a way to misbehave unless I was very careful. Well, I thought that I knew a little bit about STL and that this new effort from Scott Meyers would improve my knowledge. Wrong! Meyers thoughtfully ranked the articles by difficulty. I could not muddle through the easiest of them. OK, so I learned that I don't know STL and need to do some stretching. Given Meyers' previous efforts, this has to be a good book. It's just not as accessible. This is not a beginner's book. I knocked off one star because this book is less than I expected it to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Hat Trick" for Scott, Aug. 5 2002
Amazon Customer "vawjr" (Jackson, Wyoming United States) - See all my reviews
This is the third book by Scott Meyers that I've owned. It is, as expected, a joy to read. I find Scott's style of writing easy to follow. Although, I suspect you could find everything that's in this book elsewhere, it would be several elsewhweres. Scott wraps it all up in one neat package. I guess I would summarize its utility in one sentence: "BUY THIS BOOK!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Supplement to Introductory and Reference Books on STL, July 3 2002
Paul M. Dubuc (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This book follows in the manner of Scott Meyers' other excellent C++ books (Effective C++ and More Effective C++). It is divided into 50 "items" covering specific topics in using the Standard C++ Standard Library neatly grouped into 7 chapters on effective use of the containers, iterators and algorithms that make up the Library. This is a very good supplement to more basic and comprehensive books like The C++ Standard Library, by Nicolai Josuttis. Meyers' book assumes you have a basic familiarity with the inventory and interfaces of the STL and shows you how to use the STL more efficiently, safely and clearly. The book can be a little frustrating for those who just want a "do it this way" approach. Each item in the book takes you through the reasoning behind why it's better to use the STL in one way and not another. But, in the long run, this is a much more effective approach. The "why" is as important has the "how". The book also contains plenty of crossreferences between items, so it makes a good reference when you are done reading it through.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you know what "STL" stands for, you NEED this book, July 3 2002
I'm not a professional programmer, but I play one on... Okay, I admit I'm a pretender. I code when I need to, not as an end in and of itself. When I put digits to keyboard, C++ is my language of choice, but often things aren't as clear as they should be...like STL. You gotta love it. Somebody finally comes up with a standardized container library for C++, and it proves to be difficult to do anything but the most basic "stuff it" and "get it" operations...and getting it is sometimes not guaranteed.
Along comes Scott Meyers and Effective STL with 50 specific recommendations on using the STL. Bless you, man...I mean it. This book clears up many misconceptions about the STL and will tidy up your code. It will make you wiser, help you to do things with STL that you didn't even know were possible, and may even make STL...fun (shhhh!). Its like a slap to the face. It will pull you out of your catatonic state and make you...effective.
So put down the keyboard, stop fondling your mouse, and go read a book. If you know what "STL" stands for, you need this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›