5.0 out of 5 stars Most Clear, Concise, & Informative on Correct Writing Style
This is the most precious book I have ever read. I have learned from it in few hours what I could not learn in more than 12 years of schooling. In particular, it is a little book about how everyone must write in English, and I emphasize on the words ‘little’ and ‘must’ for reasons you will know as soon as you start reading the book.
The book...
Published on March 12 2006 by Zaid

3.0 out of 5 stars It is not as well-organized as I expected
I am not a native English speaker, but my english as second language is quite good. I read the reviews for this book, and people said this book is really well organized. For me, it is not as well-organized as I expected.
Published 6 months ago by Yingche CHEN

‹ Previous | 116 17 18 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great-I use it often, but GRAMMAR CRAMMER has a better index, Aug. 9 1999
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
and the GRAMMAR CRAMMER (by Turkel & Peterson) is the same number of pages, larger print, and often gives the answer I can't find or quite understand in THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE.

1.0 out of 5 stars It was Just Too Simplistic, April 7 2004
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
Based on reviews I read, I eagerly obtained a copy of this book. When I got home and perused it, I was vastly disappointed it didn't measure up to all its hype. Why? It is too simplistic! When looking for information regarding numerals, all it carries is a small paragraph about numerals in dates. I was also looking for uses of the apostrophe. Again, it only contains very limited data. In continuing to look through this book, I have not found a single answer to my questions!

A person who already has style basics under their hat should not spend their money on this book. Instead, they should gravitate towards a larger style manual, which gives much more detailed information. That is what I have done. Many of these are available.

3.0 out of 5 stars long on elements, short on style, Oct. 11 2002
Bryan Erickson (Eagan, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
I read Strunk and White as part of the recommended summer reading list before starting law school, and I've since been subjected to a few law professors leading the class through the ritual worship of bowing down before it. It seems to me though a cliff's notes to basic English that you were supposed to learn in high school, combined with a few quirky recommendations: such as never to end a word with "s'," so you'd write "I kicked the Chalmers's dog" instead of "I kicked the Chalmers' dog;" and never to use the word "thrust" at all any more, for any purpose, because it inevitably conjures sexual imagery in the reader's mind. Other than that, it contains a decent guide to the all-important art of writing succinctly, one I've failed to master as you can tell by now, such as using short sentences and paragraphs and that flow together naturally. Somehow though, even at a slim and extremely well-crafted hundred-odd pages, it manages to be dull. Somewhere out there is the ideal writing manual, but I haven't yet found it. This will have to do in the meantime.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was perfectly happy with the beige 3rd Edition..., Sept. 10 2001
"child1st" (Northridge, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
and other than the spiffy new silver cover, the 4th edition of this excellent book has little to distinguish it from its predecessor. If you aspire to write well, you should read this book, and if you do not own a copy of the 3rd edition, by all means purchase this latest so-called revision. If, however, you already own a copy of the 3rd edition in serviceable condition, spend your hard-earned pennies elsewhere. I wish I had.

3.0 out of 5 stars Style, May 20 2003
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
Strunk and White's book on style is small and to the point. The elements of style discussed are not necessarily applicable to modern creative writing. This book, no doubt, is helpful for writing formally-- such as formal essays, articals, and such. I didn't give it a full 5 stars because writing can be an art form as well as a tool, and for the most part this book treats it as a tool.

3.0 out of 5 stars are you serious?, Feb. 6 2003
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
A high school teacher told my class about seven years ago that this book would be a good investment. So I read it. I've heard people since I've purchased this book rave about it. First, a college grad or competent high-schooler should alrea be well-versed with the "info" in this book; so, second, it's not very elucidating on the speicfic troubles a wrier may run into. Three stars since it's a good "overview." I've always found Diana Hacker's A Writer's Reference very helpful, though it's kind of pricey, but, as they say, you get what you pay for. grammatical pun intended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strunk and White's Elements of Style, Oct. 9 2001
By A Customer
Accurate and concise, a real time saver!

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm the minority here, but as a writer....., July 16 2002
Wesley (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
I must disagree for one major reason. This book certainly does contain some invaluable information to help writers on their way and does act as more than just a set of grammatical rules. I think it all depends on how you use the book. If it's your Bible of Writing, then you possibly pen yourself in. If you use it as a supplemental text, it may work much better. Let's use the analogy of the 5 paragraph essay. It's definitely an easy way to start out and get people started with academic writing, but that's all it is basically: a start. You learn to organize, to state your arguments, etc., but in the end a 5 paragraph essay is not always (and not often) the best way to go. As a general set of guidelines, this book would work, but the authors present it as the only way to go to create effective writing. My writing style is outside the mainstream, so maybe this experimental leaning has a definite effect on my opinion. Just beware of your approach to this text, writers.

2.0 out of 5 stars worth SKIMMING - but don't take it too seriously!, Nov. 23 2001
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
e.b. white was one of my favorite authors when i was a kid, but i dunno, something just tells me that he should have stuck to being a great novelist. this is a nerd-book, mildly toxic for the obsessive-compulsive within us all.
after reading it (and skimming parts), i came to the conclusion that while much of what they said has its merit (as i too get peeved when a book or article uses poor style), this book is really not that important. it's the heart of a book that counts, and many a great heart has faulty valves and cholesterol deposits. take gandhi's autobiography: stylistically deadly, but a heart of gold within. granted, a strunk-and-whiter could have edited it up a few notches, but it would have been the same book deep within.
my final take: buy this book if it's in the dollar bin, and skim if you have a spare hour. but if writing's in your blood, strunk and white won't make much of a difference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably does more harm than good., March 31 2002
Zeldock (Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
This short, classic book is essentially a collection of the bits and pieces of advice that Prof. Strunk (and later his student, New Yorker editor E. B. White) considered most important some 50 years ago. Much of what they say is wise and useful -- as far as it goes. The problem is that too many people, especially people whose jobs require writing, think that Strunk & White is the alpha and omega of good writing and never bother to learn from better, more thorough, and less dated works. If you really want to improve your writing, rather than simply salve your conscience, I highly recommend *Style,* by Joseph M. Williams (available in paperback), and *The Reader over Your Shoulder,* by Robert Graves and Alan Hodge (reprinted in 1995 as *The Use and Abuse of the English Language,* yet inexplicably out of print under either title; it's at least as old as Strunk & White but has held up much much better). If a grammar refresher is what you want, then for my money the best resource is the 60-page section on grammar (including a glossary of grammatical terms) in *Words into Type.* If you already grasp the basics of grammar and want to deepen your understanding, then Max Morenberg's *Doing Grammar* is an excellent choice.

‹ Previous | 116 17 18 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3061de0)

The Elements of Style
The Elements of Style by E. B. White (Paperback - July 23 1999)
CDN$ 10.95 CDN$ 9.86