5.0 out of 5 stars Most Clear, Concise, & Informative on Correct Writing Style
This is the most precious book I have ever read. I have learned from it in few hours what I could not learn in more than 12 years of schooling. In particular, it is a little book about how everyone must write in English, and I emphasize on the words ‘little’ and ‘must’ for reasons you will know as soon as you start reading the book.
The book...
Published on March 12 2006 by Zaid

3.0 out of 5 stars It is not as well-organized as I expected
I am not a native English speaker, but my english as second language is quite good. I read the reviews for this book, and people said this book is really well organized. For me, it is not as well-organized as I expected.
Published 11 months ago by Yingche CHEN

‹ Previous | 116 17 18 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 20 2014
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
Great reference for people interested in writing and and writing it correctly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 26 2001
R.F. MacLeish (Orlando,, FL United States) - See all my reviews
An absolute must for grammarians and writers, fledgling or otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was perfectly happy with the beige 3rd Edition..., Sept. 10 2001
"child1st" (Northridge, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
and other than the spiffy new silver cover, the 4th edition of this excellent book has little to distinguish it from its predecessor. If you aspire to write well, you should read this book, and if you do not own a copy of the 3rd edition, by all means purchase this latest so-called revision. If, however, you already own a copy of the 3rd edition in serviceable condition, spend your hard-earned pennies elsewhere. I wish I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING, April 27 2004
Mark A. Talbot (Crestone, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
Simply the most valuable book on my shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 24 2014
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
The Foreword is very moving.

3.0 out of 5 stars are you serious?, Feb. 6 2003
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
A high school teacher told my class about seven years ago that this book would be a good investment. So I read it. I've heard people since I've purchased this book rave about it. First, a college grad or competent high-schooler should alrea be well-versed with the "info" in this book; so, second, it's not very elucidating on the speicfic troubles a wrier may run into. Three stars since it's a good "overview." I've always found Diana Hacker's A Writer's Reference very helpful, though it's kind of pricey, but, as they say, you get what you pay for. grammatical pun intended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated and Mostly Out-Dated, April 24 2009
B. Keith (Kingston, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
I used to adore this brief book, but have since re-evaluated its effectiveness and up-to-dateness, finding it wanting in both areas. I believe that Strunk wrote it in at the time of General Custer and E.B. White updated this book in the 1950's. (Note that a couple of key recommendations I used for years -- substituting "that" for "which" and keeping sentences in the "active", versus "passive" voice -- are both much too rigid, and frankly sometime flatly incorrect.)

For a truly effective, well-written, and up to date book seek the superior book titled Style: Toward Clarity and Grace by Joseph Williams.

Cheers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elements of Style, Nov. 10 2010
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
This book is an absolute must for anyone writing in any of the media areas including print and web. It's easy to use and would make your grade 5 English teacher proud. I keep my book next to my computer for quick reference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Style, May 20 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
Strunk and White's book on style is small and to the point. The elements of style discussed are not necessarily applicable to modern creative writing. This book, no doubt, is helpful for writing formally-- such as formal essays, articals, and such. I didn't give it a full 5 stars because writing can be an art form as well as a tool, and for the most part this book treats it as a tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm the minority here, but as a writer....., July 16 2002
Wesley (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Style (Paperback)
I must disagree for one major reason. This book certainly does contain some invaluable information to help writers on their way and does act as more than just a set of grammatical rules. I think it all depends on how you use the book. If it's your Bible of Writing, then you possibly pen yourself in. If you use it as a supplemental text, it may work much better. Let's use the analogy of the 5 paragraph essay. It's definitely an easy way to start out and get people started with academic writing, but that's all it is basically: a start. You learn to organize, to state your arguments, etc., but in the end a 5 paragraph essay is not always (and not often) the best way to go. As a general set of guidelines, this book would work, but the authors present it as the only way to go to create effective writing. My writing style is outside the mainstream, so maybe this experimental leaning has a definite effect on my opinion. Just beware of your approach to this text, writers.

‹ Previous | 116 17 18 | Next ›

The Elements of Style
The Elements of Style by E. B. White (Paperback - July 23 1999)
CDN$ 10.95 CDN$ 9.86