5.0 out of 5 stars A 'powerful' solution to our woes!
I'd like to learn more about this amazing resource. I have recommended it to local politicians and have NOT had feedback. What does that mean, I wonder? Vested interests? I'd like to read a review by a scientist....
Published 9 months ago by judy

2.0 out of 5 stars A bad read for people just getting into Thorium
I had to force myself to finish this book as it was very plain and boring to read. There were some instances where there were interesting facts and notable examples. These were rare however. My friends gave me the book back saying that they couldn't get past the first 2 chapters. I am sorry to give such a bad review but there must be truth.
Published 10 months ago by Michael Kozikowski

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Fuel? A Super Blunder by the Nulcear Industry, Nov. 12 2013
Daniel L Little (Halifax, Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SuperFuel: Thorium, the Green Energy Source for the Future (Hardcover)
‘Super Fuel, Thorium, The Green Energy Source for the Future’, will leave you shaking your head at the nuclear industry. Okay, I can understand how momentum in any industry works. Things are moving along smoothly, with no serious problems occurring, when along comes something that ‘might’ be a better idea than the product currently being produced. This new ‘product’ is looked into, and sure enough, it does appear to be an improvement over the status quo, and there are even a few successful experiments seeming to verify that it is not only better, but safer as well.

It would appear in the nuclear industry’s case however, that momentum won out over common sense. I’ll let Richard Martin’s book tell the rest of the story, but be prepared as warned earlier, to be left shaking your head.

Fans (like me) of Admiral Hyman G Rickover will be more than a little surprised at his impact on this outcome, but only a little. Martin has compiled an interesting book, clearly well researched and brought forth in a way that even the layman will understand what happened, or rather – didn’t.

I’m still shaking my head and after reading this, you will be too.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'powerful' solution to our woes!, Oct. 25 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, Sept. 22 2013
this book, superfuel... is very informative and offers a convincing argument as to why we should use thorium nuclear energy to replace fossil fuel. It also pinpoints the historical time of the early 60's when we chose the insane path championed by the military, rather than the peaceful one which would have promoted thorium nuclear energy. That fork in the road has produced the mess we're in today with climate change.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bad read for people just getting into Thorium, Sept. 4 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars What is a Super Fuel?, Oct. 18 2012
I must point out that I have not yet finished the book SuperFuel: Thorium, the Green Energy Source for the Future and the following comments must be judged in that light.
As a student of nuclear physics, I concentrated on information needed for my studies and research, neglecting much interesting information about the researchers themselves. There are countless interesting stories in this account which make it a very interesting read.
As to the use of thorium rather than uranium for reactor fuel, I am yet to be convinced that "Super Fuel" is an appropriate term, as many problems associated with nuclear power remain; but that said, thorium certainly does seem a better choice for the U.S. and the rest of the world.
The book makes the important point that Th-232 (naturally occurring) produces a much lower burden on our environment, especially since naturally occurring uranium must be highly enriched, making it also useful for nuclear weapon production. (The author notes an exception, the Canadian CANDU, which seems to "run on dirt", as a visiting colleague related to me). If a country needs power, and has no interest in nuclear weapons, certainly thorium is the way to go.
Richard Martin also raises one serious concern for us all: what will happen to nuclear medicine when the aging NRU reactor shuts down at the end of 2012? The Canadian government has washed its hands of this issue.
The author does a very credible job of explaining nuclear physics and nuclear engineering to the layman. However, in the cataloging of the numerous variations of thorium-fuelled reactors, it is somewhat unclear as to which variant is the preferred one in the author's opinion. Perhaps that will be clear when I finish the book. Meanwhile, I am enjoying it immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars TH90... Talk about it near and far, Oct. 10 2012
Imagine absolutely NO fossil fuels being used for generating electricity. Super Fuel indeed! This book is about 'thorium' the periodic table element. And most importantly how 'TH90' was proven over 50 years ago as a source for generating power without CO2 emissions! Take comfort in knowing that thorium is abundant and during its history it has been used as an ingredient in toothpaste, and as component in mantles for gas lanterns. BUT most importantly, thorium is an energy source which is absolutely known to be the alternative for electrical power generation and on world-wide basis. This energy source is the GAME CHANGER. Read this book, talk to your friends, communicate with politicians, promote the use of TH90 so it becomes well known in your community. With enough visibility, and it is going to take much, much visibility, thorium will be at the center of 'eliminating' carbon dioxide build up in the atmosphere.

There are obstacles to overcome including the fact that thorium to generate electricity would ideally be used in a molten salt reactor. Yes this means a radioactive setting. But this is not uranium, nor plutonium, and does NOT need enriching so it is not a source for weapons. Thorium use will require a new PUBLIC perception of nuclear energy. A molten salt reactor using thorium can be made as safe as the pubic swimming pool in your neighborhood using chlorine to keep the water clean. READ this book and sponsor more conversation about what is already proven science. All that is needed is some political will and a small amount of money. Ok - $ 3 billion is a large amount for single a company, but it is minor for a nation and minuscule as a worldwide energy and environment friendly game changer.

SuperFuel: Thorium, the Green Energy Source for the Future
SuperFuel: Thorium, the Green Energy Source for the Future by Richard Martin (Hardcover - May 8 2012)
CDN$ 31.00 CDN$ 19.44