5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT - couldn't put it down
Published on May 10 2003 by kk994

2.0 out of 5 stars It provides general aspects on this topic but not practical.
For people who wish to have general idea about this subject or need this for the first academic course in electronic music, it would be alright.
Published 23 months ago by ghn

2.0 out of 5 stars It provides general aspects on this topic but not practical., Aug. 26 2012
I had used and currently still used electronic music instruments from Rhodes, E-Mu, Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Clavia, Akai, Kurzweil, Waldorf, Creamware, .... not counting effect machines, controllers, mixer, audio cards and audio recorders ....
after reading (online) a few opinions about this book, I bought it in hope to learn a few practical things from it, I am quite disappointed.

For people who never have actual experience with electronic music instruments (EMI) other than (strictly) electric pianos or department stores' keyboards, then this book still give them many interesting information about all classes of EMI.

The author have assembled many general and scientific knowledge (like in Wikipedia) and structured them in a logical order.
You do not need to be a student in electrical engineering, or have real-life experiences with EMI to understand the subjects.
It contains a lot of definition of terminologies used in EMI. It is definitely a good text book for this purpose.

However it does not provide any practical helps for musicians who want to modified sounds (with a REAL synthesizer), use various effects and controls (VCO, DCO, LFO, ADSR, etc...).

To be more useful, the author could solicit articles from authors in various magazines specialized in EMI (example: Sound On Sound, Electronic Musician, ...), from the manufactures, from studio sound engineers and from musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT - couldn't put it down, May 10 2003
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
A friend gave me the loan of this book when I asked some questions about synthesis. I read it twice before I reluctantly gave it back. After that I order my own copy from amazon. I really love this book. It is so well written. Enjoyable and informative. There is no maths and everything is explained in a simple fashion. I would like to see a series written by these two authors going into further detail on each of the types of snthesis covered.
I'd thoroughly advise it to anyone especially Music Technology students or Computer Music students.

5.0 out of 5 stars yesterday today tomorrow, Nov. 9 2002
Larry Parker (Denver, CO. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
I got into computer music with Sonar and using only software synthesizers I opened up a whole new universe of sound. This book will help you on your way. A little history not much math but a lot of help. If you intend to follow this path give this book a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dense and far-reaching material - excellent resource, June 21 2002
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
If you have interest in finding out exactly what's happening with the sound as you twiddle those knobs, this book is an excellent choice. The author does a fine job of presenting an extraordinary amount of material - you will learn real, in-depth background about acoustics and synthesis techniques. I find myself constantly referring to this book when I am in my studio.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really is the canine's privates, April 18 2001
Fyl (Stafford, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Paperback)
I bought this book when I first started on my Music Technology degree... I'm now just finishing my final year project, and I have to tell you... this book has been a fantastic help. Quite a lot of what is contained within is more information than I've needed personally, but if you have a real interest in the nitty-gritty of sound synthesis, then this is the book for you. Fantastic. You can hear how this book has helped my band by visiting [...] and checking out our mp3s. Also, we have free soundfonts available for download... so come check us out.

5.0 out of 5 stars COSA VOLETE CHE VI DICA, July 5 1999
By A Customer
PERCHE' LO VOGLI

Sound Synthesis and Sampling
Sound Synthesis and Sampling by Martin Russ (Paperback - Jan. 10 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.13