Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

on August 26, 2012
For people who wish to have general idea about this subject or need this for the first academic course in electronic music, it would be alright.
I had used and currently still used electronic music instruments from Rhodes, E-Mu, Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Clavia, Akai, Kurzweil, Waldorf, Creamware, .... not counting effect machines, controllers, mixer, audio cards and audio recorders ....
after reading (online) a few opinions about this book, I bought it in hope to learn a few practical things from it, I am quite disappointed.

For people who never have actual experience with electronic music instruments (EMI) other than (strictly) electric pianos or department stores' keyboards, then this book still give them many interesting information about all classes of EMI.

The author have assembled many general and scientific knowledge (like in Wikipedia) and structured them in a logical order.
You do not need to be a student in electrical engineering, or have real-life experiences with EMI to understand the subjects.
It contains a lot of definition of terminologies used in EMI. It is definitely a good text book for this purpose.

However it does not provide any practical helps for musicians who want to modified sounds (with a REAL synthesizer), use various effects and controls (VCO, DCO, LFO, ADSR, etc...).

To be more useful, the author could solicit articles from authors in various magazines specialized in EMI (example: Sound On Sound, Electronic Musician, ...), from the manufactures, from studio sound engineers and from musicians.
on April 18, 2001
I bought this book when I first started on my Music Technology degree... I'm now just finishing my final year project, and I have to tell you... this book has been a fantastic help. Quite a lot of what is contained within is more information than I've needed personally, but if you have a real interest in the nitty-gritty of sound synthesis, then this is the book for you. Fantastic. You can hear how this book has helped my band by visiting [...] and checking out our mp3s. Also, we have free soundfonts available for download... so come check us out.
on May 9, 2003
A friend gave me the loan of this book when I asked some questions about synthesis. I read it twice before I reluctantly gave it back. After that I order my own copy from amazon. I really love this book. It is so well written. Enjoyable and informative. There is no maths and everything is explained in a simple fashion. I would like to see a series written by these two authors going into further detail on each of the types of snthesis covered.
I'd thoroughly advise it to anyone especially Music Technology students or Computer Music students.
on June 21, 2002
If you have interest in finding out exactly what's happening with the sound as you twiddle those knobs, this book is an excellent choice. The author does a fine job of presenting an extraordinary amount of material - you will learn real, in-depth background about acoustics and synthesis techniques. I find myself constantly referring to this book when I am in my studio.
on November 8, 2002
I got into computer music with Sonar and using only software synthesizers I opened up a whole new universe of sound. This book will help you on your way. A little history not much math but a lot of help. If you intend to follow this path give this book a read!
on July 5, 1999