5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, Feb. 12 2014
I'm so glad I chose to buy this book! I used to go and search for tips online and use those to work on my mixes, but this book has it all, and teaches you and guides you through all the very important parts to putting together a mix. I always find myself looking through this book while I'm mixing and learning things each time I read through it (substantially improving my mix each time).

I'm not one to write reviews very often, or buy books, but I'm very glad I did with this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book with Tons of Audio Examples, March 22 2009
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools
This book is a must-have book for anyone involved in Sound Recording! I have completely enjoyed every page. It also has tons of audio examples that are contained on the DVD that comes with this package. You download from the DVD to your computer and every explanation has an accompanying sound file that illustrates the point being mentioned. I am thrilled to have so much material in one book that especially addresses those who have a home studio set up and would like to improve their mixes. Already, I have been able to apply much of the contained info into my mixes with audible improvements. I highly recommend this book to all who love sound, and are on a mission to continually improve the way they capture it! This book will be referred to many times, I am sure, as the years go on and on! Thanks Roey for taking the time to condense so much info in one wonderful book!!

Rob Reid, Barrie, Ontario, Canada

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but needs to be proof-read, Feb. 17 2009
iqi616 (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools (Paperback)
This is a great book on mixing. Not really for total beginners but great for anyone who is ready to get serious about mixing. It covers all the major tools used in mixing. Obviously it is largely aimed at users of DAW software but it is equally applicable to analogue die-hards and users of studio-in-a-box multitrackers. It doesn't just cover the technical aspects, it never forgets that mixing is an art, not a science, and explains the purpose and approach.

To get the most from this book, treat it like a text book. As read each chapter, listen to the audio examples and then experiment in your own studio and try out the techniques.

I only have two complaints...

It is poorly proof-read if at all. Great text books are a team effort between the technical expert to provide the content and the editor to tidy up the language. This book has an instance of spell-checkeritis or a mis-edited sentence or a mis-chosen word on almost every other page. Fortunately it doesn't detract from the content. If anything it is amusing and brings across some of the character of the author. I'd expect it with a self-published book but I'm surprised that Focal Press published the book without proper editing.

[UPDATE: I understand that newer editions have resolved the proof-reading though I haven't checked for myself]

The other complaint is that several of the sample files are 24-bit instead of 16-bit and Windows Media Player doesn't play 24-bit WAV files in its natural state. Again, it's not a big grumble but it does detract from the enjoyment of the product because I have to open those files in an audio editor instead of just clicking to play. Again, an unnecessary quality control issue.

Despite these two gripes, I'm very glad I got this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One fits all, May 15 2011
This review is from: Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools (Paperback)
If I knew, it would have been my first studio book. It gives a complete tour of the audio techniques. It covers everything I read in ten other books. The language is clear, accessible and yet deep in the subject.
An included disk presents samples that explain perfectly what is writen in the book.
I do not have an other book like this one here. I do not think there will be an other one either.
It should have been titled "The only mixing book you will ever need to read and to consult afterward".
10 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Nov. 14 2010
This review is from: Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools (Paperback)
This is an excellent book on mixing. I've been a musician for 15 years as well as an audio engineering graduate and this book is simply the best I've seen. The information is is technical but easy to understand and practical. The accompanying DVD allows you to hear the examples in the book to give you a true understanding of what's going on.

If you're interested in recording your own music, then you must have this book.

Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools by Roey Izhaki (Paperback - Dec 20 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 218.20