5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely copy to entice the younguns
A classic, plain and simple. The illustrations are whimsical, sophisticated, and there are plenty of them. A nice copy printed on quality paper, this edition will stand up to many, many readings.
Published on Nov. 19 2009 by Malkie Bear

2.0 out of 5 stars 70th anniversary edition rather disappointing, go with ANNOTATED HOBBIT instead., October 24, 2007
[This is a review of the 70th Anniversary Edition, not so much of THE HOBBIT itself. I've reviewed the book proper elsewhere, and would rather focus on the actual edition itself.]

THE HOBBIT is one of those few books that I have felt justified to buy multiple copies over the years. It is a book I have read and cherished, and a book I dearly love. THE HOBBIT is...
Published 19 months ago by Mike London

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 491 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit, a must read for anyone who has the ability!, April 23 2002
The Hobbit is probably one of the best books ever written in history. It keeps me on the edge of my seat the whole way through, and makes me feel as if I was there, walking beside the group of dwarves or Bilbo himself. The details are rich, you can feel the awesomeness of this amazing story, and it is a _great_ prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's interesting looking at the level of greed in the dwarves. They care for nothing but treasure, or so it seems. Another thing is probably Tolkein's writing style and how it changes from this book to the rest of the trilogy. The Hobbit is a must read for anyone who enjoys books and diving in to a great story. This book is truly amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood favorite, April 20 2002
Ms Diva "cycworker" (Nanaimo, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this book when I was about 9 or 10. Up until that time, even though I was a good reader, I didn't particularly enjoy it. Tolkien showed me just how powerful literature could be, and I haven't stopped reading since.
What I enjoyed the most about this book was the well developed, three dimensional characters. I could almost picture them in my mind. Tolkein had a gift for creating imagery that is beautiful and realistic. His use of language totally enraptured me and kept me engrossed in the story.
What's really neat about this book, as well, is that I think it will have as much appeal to girls as it does to boys. That has not been the case in other fantasy-type books I've read. In fact, this novel is really the only one of it's genre that I've ever enjoyed. So, don't be put off if you think you don't like fantasy. I would also note that there is an abridged version with illustrations that younger children (I saw a grade one class sit totally still as their teacher read from it to them) will likely enjoy. Despite being pegged by some as a "kid's book", however, this book is actually one that will appeal to readers of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Indispensable Prerequisite to The Lord of the Rings, April 19 2002
Kent Wittrup (Lynn, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Literarily speaking, chapter one of The Hobbit is the best thing ever written for children in English. What follows is a series of increasingly improbable adventures, which arose naturally out of Tolkien's storytelling practice with his own children.
While by no means proof against enjoyment by girls, it must be admitted that The Hobbit is very much a boy's book, its cozily domestic subtext serving to highlight its absence of female characters, its wilderness settings and grisly violence. Its saving grace is Tolkien's enchanting sense of humor, which continues to be consistently reassuring throughout.
What it requires of its readers is not however boyhood, or even childhood: what it requires is a sense of adventure. Anybody with one of those is ill-advised to neglect reading this justly renowned neo-saga, which was legendary in character to begin with, and has since become legendary in nature as well.
Its most distinctive features are the maps, the verses, and the medieval authenticity. There are two maps, one of which is used in the story repeatedly. The verses are in ballad measures, including dwarf and goblin as well as hobbit songs. The early section of the Old Norse Elder Edda (Dvergatal), from which Tolkien took the names of his dwarves and wizard, remains even now displaced in an appendix at the end of Hollander's standard translation.
Initially published in 1937, The Hobbit's composition was contemporary with Tolkien's pioneering published lecture on Beowulf, which revitalized the scholarship on and initiated a modern criticism of that sternest of British works. Read for publication by Tolkien's future lifelong publisher Rayner Unwin at age 10, The Hobbit sold unexpectedly well in the United States in its slightly inferior first edition (later revised to conform with The Lord of the Rings) and produced an immediate demand for a sequel, which did not however appear until those who had read The Hobbit as children were beginning to have children of their own.
Various protestations to the contrary, The Hobbit remains an indispensable prerequisite to The Lord of the Rings. The Fellowship of the Rings movie might have been better, if its producers had filmed The Hobbit first.
I trust that it will eventually be confirmed, if it isn't known for a fact already, that the Los Angeles meteorologist, who coined our familiar term for urban air pollution, really did mean to name it after the dragon in The Hobbit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Few things compare, Feb. 13 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are a fan of Tolkien you know few things compare. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's writing. I've read the complete history of middle-earth, the silimarillion, the lord of the rings and this wonderful novel. The Hobbit remains my favourite of all time. No modern writers even come close (perhaps Robert Stanek but that's different). Read this, you are going to love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again, May 23 2010
J. Bartlett - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful little hardcover version of a classic children's book.(Of course all true fans of the "Lord of the Rings" should read the Hobbit too!) The book is a nice compact size for children's hands. Included are all of Tolkien's delightful colour drawings and maps, including some I'd never seen before. There's also an interesting preface by J.R.R's son, Christopher Tolkien. (Hobbits first popped into Tolkein's mind to entertain young Christopher and his siblings.) This book would make a lovely gift for any child (from around age eight to eighty-eight!)

4.0 out of 5 stars The best version of THE HOBBIT, Nov. 2 2004
Jeff (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hobbit Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I already reviewed THE HOBBIT, but I'd thought I'd review THIS version. I doscovered Alan Lee & his paintings around Fall of 2002, wella fter I got my current editions of THE HOBBIT and LORD OF THE RINGS. D'oh. I'm still quite content with mine, but had I known about THESE versions I would've gone for them. This is the best edition of THE HOBBIT I've ever seen. I gave it four starts due to the size of the actual book. It's beautiful and all, just a little large. Best read on your lap, or sitting down at a table.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, March 4 2014
Sometimes its a pain to find books in a book store but Amazon makes it easy to get those ones that you want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifull, Feb. 13 2014
This edition is a hardcover more vintage looking version of the classic. Amazing feeling of quality right down to the printing paper used. The friend whom I got it as a gift was very pleased. Will last decades in his family library. Just like anything tolkien wrote should

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful copy!, Jan. 24 2014
bought as a christmas gift for the Tolkien fan in the house, he LOVED it! wish I would have waited for the box set though :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 13 2014
This review is from: The Hobbit (Mass Market Paperback)
I tried very hard to find this specific book cover as a christmas gift and they sent me the right one! Excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 491 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb5922798)

Hobbit Illustrated Edition
Hobbit Illustrated Edition by J.R.R. Tolkien (Hardcover - Oct. 23 1997)
CDN$ 55.99 CDN$ 35.10