Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on February 2, 2011
I believe you are interesting about how computer works or wanna know hardware stuffs.
I'm a software engineer and wanted to know how computer/hardware works.

As you might know there are difficult issues in computer world.

* Compiler
* OS

and so on.(Well database is also difficult. Hmm... I think everything is difficult actually)

Author developed all executable software with Java which means you need to know java :) and described all things from the root.

Author described how gate works and how to make other gates from the gate that god gave. (It was fun to me) and described how to make memory and so on.
With that software hardware(because it ran on software), author developed his own language and made a compiler too. (I bought this book because of this chapter)
At the end author developed OS with the language that he made. Sounds pretty cool right? :)

To be honest, it was not enough for me because I wanted to know more about hardware stuffs. (Don't worry! 'Code' book described hardware stuffs better than this book.)
If you like to spend some time to know those things(but don't expect too much), this book will be perfect for you and I think there is not much books that talk about those issues.

Last, I recommend you 'Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software, Charles Petzold' book too. If you are interesting about hardware making.
on January 17, 2013
This is a companion book to a university course on first principles in computing. It's an excellent approach to a common topic, and I did love the approach. The book is well written, but some of the examples suffer from the "... and then a miracle happens..." treatment (you know what I mean if you've ever seen the cartoon I'm referencing). There are places where information is glossed over and you have to either have prior knowledge or peek at the answer to "get it". The companion website is good, but not great. I do also wish a more conventional programming language had been chosen as the high level language for the final machine, but that's quibbling I guess.