5.0 out of 5 stars To remember how to fly read this book
Just How Do I Describe This Book?
I have read a few short stories by Clive Barker - all based in the horror genre. I found this one in a box in the basement and it has been sitting around for awhile now. Because I tend to fly through books I finally picked it up and decided to give it a try. I was not let down and it has now become one of my favorite books.
It...
Published on Feb. 11 2004 by smoothsailing327

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Barker's best
Weaveworld is a combination of horror and fantasy and is an interesting read (as almost all of Barker's books are) but it's not nearly as good as some of Barker's other works. Imajica is another tale of a fantastic realm (or realms) populated by Barker's rich imagination but it really WORKS. I would suggest Imajica first and foremost before Weaveworld and after...
Published on Feb. 22 2000 by Michael Silbey

5.0 out of 5 stars To remember how to fly read this book, Feb. 11 2004
"smoothsailing327" (Methuen, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)
Just How Do I Describe This Book?
It is called, on the flyleaf, a Horror story as well as one of Fantasy. I figured it would have the usual Barker tang to it and I was very wrong. This story is one of pure magical fantasy. If there is horror it is in the evil of the Cuckoo's world (humankind) against that of the Weaveworld or the Fugue. A land of magic - where you can "fly."
There are many characters and a few plot lines to follow around in this maze. Almost as if you are running a race - good against "evil" in an attempt to save this world of magic. At times I felt as if I was truly lost in the book and the world, a very good sign that I have found a good book.
There is magic, enchantments, raptures, a carpet, and cuckoo's as well as a Incantatrix, a salesman and a very sandy Scourge. The story is made up within the weave of a carpet that makes up Wonderland.
If you find yourself remembering the times when you could fly, or when sitting in the backyard as a child you imagined you saw something colorful flitting just out of the corner of your eye. When you knew there was something else to this world and what's more, when you believed it all to be true - then you will enjoy this book. Because it takes you back to that time and helps you find that child again.
This is the first Literary Corner I've done that I've had trouble finding words to describe the book. I think it defies description because of what it is - an adventure of the imagination.
And as the story ends, "nothing ever begins. And this story, having no beginning, will have no end."
I can't wait to pick it up again in a few years and renew that magic. While in the meantime trying to remember that it is all around me - I just need to open my eyes a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weaveworld, June 24 2014
This review is from: Weaveworld (Kindle Edition)
I read this book when I was a teenager. Loved it then love it now! A must read for Fantasy lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 24 2011
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)
I read this book many years ago. Loved it back then, and I am excited for my son to get the chance to read it like I once did. The shipping was quick, price great! I'm very happy thanks :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Venture of the Imagination, July 6 2004
Alexander Babbie (Dannemora, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)
After reading Barker's other fantasy epic, Imajica; I couldn't wait to get my hands on Weaveworld, and now that I'm done reading it I am convinced that Barker is one of the most talented authors alive.
Calhoun Mooney, a 20 something freespirit, accidentally falls into a magic carpet which serves as a refuge for the Seerkind, who have been hunted by mankind (Cuckoos) throughout history for their special abilities. Cal's fall into the carpet sets into motion an epic controntation for the carpet and the wonders it contains. With the aid of the beautiful Suzanna, whose connection to the carpet is deeper than she can possibly realize, Cal must protect the carpet from Immacolata, an "Inncantrix" who once ruled the carpet; Shadwell, a salesman by nature who considers the carpet the ultimate prize; and the Scourge, an ultimate evil whose very existence is tied to the extinction of the Seerkind.
If all that doesn't make too much sense, don't worry...its not supposed to at first glance, and that's the wonderful part reading Barker...he has such a wonderful imagination and is able to convey his imagination so well, that the only real way to understand what his books are about is to read them. Barker also has a gift for making wonderfully complex "villans" that never fail to dazzle. By the end of the story, even the Scourge, which was the ultimate evil to the Seerkind was able to provoke profound empathy from me over the emptiness and sadness that it felt.
Anyone who enjoys fantasy, horror, or simply a good yarn will love this book. Admittedly it does start out somewhat slow, but the pace soon picks up and you will not be able to put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jules Vernes could have dreamed it., June 7 2004
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)
Weaveworld is like a dream that Jules Verne could have made.
a fantastic story between reality and imaginary. A world into a world. If you have a great imagination, read this book. It's simply an extraordinary journey waiting for you. Great characters, weirdest and scariest situations. It's 100% Barker made without a doubt. You'll think of Hellraiser, Nightbreed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read, May 28 2004
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)
Weaveworld is one the weirdest trips that Clive Barker has to offer. This book will haul you in from its first pages to the very end. I found myself consumed, every night, after I put it down, with a desire to lift it back up and read till dawn.
I can't stress enough that Clive Barker is a fantasy writer/wordsmith who has a clear, unfettered and virgin channel to his inner voice.
Start the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars That which is imagined need never be lost, May 14 2004
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)
There's many more of those great lines in this long novel. I expected to read something which is similar to the writing of Stephen King, this being the first Clive Barker Novel I read. But Clive Barker has a deep and stylized writing all his own. And this story a wonderland 'woven' into a carpet( hence the title Weaveworld) is truly a great read.
It starts out with Calhoun Mooney, a Liverpool clerk chases his prized pigeon and ends up falling from a wall and seeing an odd land on the carpet. What follows is a tale with various emotions which enthralls you'til the final page. Basically it's fantasy but mix with a touch of horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars That which is imagined need never be lost, May 14 2004
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fantasy-Romance for People Who Don't Read Fantasy-Romances, March 2 2004
C. T. Mikesell (near Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weaveworld (Paperback)
Initially I was surprised that Weaveworld wasn't the horror story I expected it to be. Then I was surprised how much I was enjoying it anyway.
Certainly there are elements of horror: The Rake, The Hag, The Magdalene and her Offspring, and The Scourge/Uriel - but this is primarily a love story between Cal and Suzanna. Their relationship is remarkable if for no other reason than the fact that it can never be fully consummated (unlike most of the casual relationships Cal and Suzanna have with others, which can and often are).
From suburban London to the Scottish Highlands to the Arabian desert, the story covers all this ground, plus the fantastic settings within the weave (The Fugue) itself. The pacing is fairly quick, but Barker does take the time to insert a descriptive paragraph or nice turn of phrase now and then. Characters are well-drawn, but there isn't a whole lot of development demonstrated over the course of the novel. Cal becomes obsessed with the carpet, but doesn't really change as he pursues or attains it. Suzanna gets super-powers almost as soon as she comes on the scene, so there isn't even much "before" and "after" as she comes to grips with them.
The book has a few other flaws, as well. Barker consistently uses the crassest term imaginable for the part of female anatomy euphemistically referred to on the TV-show Scrubs as the "bajingo." There are some pretty big plot holes as well; for instance, at one point a psychic attack is accidentally launched against an innocent London population; later, when such an attack would come in handy, no one suggests "doing what we did back in London." Wasn't it Chekov who said, "If you establish mind-altering super-powers in the beginning of the book you have to make an attempt to use them in a crucial moment by the end of the book"? Words to that effect, at any rate.
Subject matter and material aside, this is still a very good fantasy story. Romance fans will find a lot to recommend it. Horror fans may find themselves pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars BARKER'S GREATEST HIT!, March 1 2004
This review is from: Weaveworld
BECAUSE THIS IS ONE OF MY TOP 20 BOOKS OF ALL TIME, I DON'T WANT TO GIVE TOO MUCH AWAY. HOWEVER, I WILL SAY QUITE SIMPLY THAT "WEAVEWORLD" IS UNDOUBTEDLY THE BEST FANTASY BOOK I HAVE EVER READ, AT LEAST IN THE PAST 10 YEARS!
"WEAVEWORLD" IS BARKER AT HIS VERY BEST AND MOST BIZARRELY IMAGINATIVE, WHICH IS SAYING QUITE A LOT!!!! HIS PROTAGONIST IS LIKABLE, HUMAN, REAL; ONE CARES ABOUT THE DISENCHANTED MA'S PLIGHT AND HIS ADVENTURES. THE VILLAIN, A REAL MAGICAL MEANY, IS JUST AS THOROUGHLY DEPICTED BY THE AUTHOR, AND HE'S JUST AS TOTALLY ENTERTAINING.
WITH SOME BOOKS, WHEN THERE ARE 2 OR 3 PLOTS GOING ON AT ONCE, ONE OF THEM IS MORE FUN TO FOLLOW THAN THE OTHERS. THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE. I, PERSONALLY, WAS/AM INTERESTED IN EVERYBODY AND THEIR THOUGHTS AND ADVENTURES.
IF YOU DON'T READ THIS BOOK, YOU WILL DEFINITELY BE MISSING ONE OF THE BEST!

Xxweaveworld
Xxweaveworld by Clive Barker (Paperback - May 9 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.02