5.0 out of 5 stars Nuclear War: No Matter Where You Go.....You Die., March 28 2001
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
I would consider this book, written in 1954, to be the most sobering book about nuclear war written to date. The story is told in diary form, written by a missle technician only known as x-127. The story starts out as the solider x-127 and 250 other soliders (men and women) head down deep into a underground bunker called Level 7. The bunker is a immense system of tunnels and bunkers about 4000 ft underground. Room enough for the buton pushers, engineers and scientist to continue our way of life after a nuclear holocaust strikes. The mood of the story is grim, as X-127 realizes that once he makes the desent down into Level 7, there is no turning back to the outside world. The government has deemed the soliders in the bunker the saviors of our way of life. They have enough food, water, and air to last them 5 lifetimes.
Well, eventually it gets to a point where a war breaks out. There are not descriptions of nuclear explosions, or firey death raining down on the populace's heads. Instead the author portrays the war through the eyes of radar technicians and button pushers who only see blips on radar screens and are told via a loudspeaker on what buttons to push.
After the war, which is totally destructive. Radiation spreads and wipes out life on the surface. A clautrophobic life in a bunker becomes stiffeling for X-127 has he watches and listens to his fellow soliders start to loose it in a "not so" hermetically sealed bunker.
This story is very sad, and chilling. The last paragraph of the story has to be the most riveting paragraph I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruminations of a 12 year old reader circa 1962, April 11 2001
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
The review written and shown is much to my liking since it captures the essence of the book. It does not, however, present the reality which I felt at the age of 12 years, as I read it. More important than the storyline, is the impact on the reader. With all due respects to the person who adequately and accurately described this work, I feel compelled to let the reader know that the fear and reaction created by the book, because it is so brilliant, is more important than the plot. This is to Nuclear War, as To Kill a Mockingbird is to justice. That is the nature of such a powerful message. Read this book, it is wonderful....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best nuclear war books ever., May 20 1999
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
I read this book over 30 years ago and it has stayed with me all these years. If there was ever a nuclear war most people that died would never know who started it or why it happened.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Provocative and Thoughtful Warning to Mankind, Jan. 24 1999
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
I read this book as a teenager and found it a sobering story. The reader must keep a certain detachment, remembering that the author is in part using his imagination. Although it may seem less topical now than when it was first published in the late 1950's, the end of the Cold War and the breakup of the USSR have reduced but not eliminated the nuclear threat. Roshwald paints a stark portrait of what could happen, which I took for what it was: a though-provoking warning to mankind. A great read which I highly recommend -- just keep in mind that it's fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book!, Jan. 12 1999
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
I read Level 7 for the first time in seventh grade for a book report. When I finished that book, I was moved beyond belief. Roshwald's vivid and horrifying words was enough to make me appreciate the terrors endured by my parents during the Cold War and to appreciate the world I live in today. I recommend this book to anyone searching for a meaning in life, or to anyone just looking for an excellent piece of literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nuclear Depression, Dec 13 1998
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
I read this book back in the early 1970's, having stumbled across it in a yard sale. This is one of those books that engenders a response in me that is difficult to articulate. It reduces the whole Cold-War struggle to its ultimate absurdity and horror. War reduced to a series of buttons to be pressed by men and women at the bottom of Strangelovian mine shafts. Thought provoking and as morbidly fascinating as watching an autopsy. Depressing, you bet. By the time you finish this one you'll be reaching for the extra-strength Prozac or a razor.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Anti-Technology Parable, Dec 9 1998
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
Believe it or not, I first read this book when I was 10. It is one of the scariest books I have ever read. Needless to say, it had quite an impact. I came across a copy of it about five years ago and bought it. The sense of devastation at the end is total! Now that I am an adult, however, I think Roshwald over does it with his anti-technology bias. Being in the military, I can tell you that the type of totally automatic systems depicted here (i.e., the atomophone) would never be fielded. Even so, it provides a powerful warning to those who think a nuclear war is winnable.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC sci-fi book!!!!!, Oct. 23 1998
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
One of the best sci-fi books written about nuclear war. Someone could make a fortune if they would make this book into a movie. (Ron Howard, are you out there?) This book is up there with "1984", "Fahrenheit 451" and "War of the Worlds". This book should be on every high school reading list. Do not pass up a chance at reading this book. There is only one problem if you do read it. You will NEVER forget it!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Once I started reading this book, I could't put it down, July 15 1998
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
I was stationed in Scotland at a nuclear sub base during the 60's. I don't remember how I came across this book but once I started to read it, I could't put it down until I finished it. This book really makes you realized just what could happen in the event of an all out nuclear war. The author covers every aspect of what life would be like on earth when most of the earth's surface is wiped out. This book should be made into a movie. When I read it, it was during the Kennedy and Kruschev era when we lived in fear of a push of a button. This should be a must reading for all students world wide.

5.0 out of 5 stars This had me gasping with shock, Sept. 12 1997
scouse@cport.com (Longview, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Level 7 (Paperback)
I first came across this book many years ago by accident, and it was only after I had got part way through that I realised I had seen this book as a short play on British TV and it affected me deeply then. Now I was able to sit down and read fully the thoughts of the PB Officer and was able to see through his eyes what Man is capable of doing to Man. I do not scare easily, but I have no hesitation in saying that Mr Roshwald managed to scare me completely. Now I am a firm opponent of nuclear power in any shape, because of the way the book (and the world) ended - not with a bang but a whimper

Level 7
Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald (Paperback - June 24 2004)
CDN$ 21.41 CDN$ 19.90