5.0 out of 5 stars Life is Colorful
As I began to read, I got excited. All other reviews here are *correct* in their subjective observations of why they did and didn't like it; however, the reasons why they liked and/or disliked it is why *I liked it* too.
Published on Jan. 6 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Interact without Color
Published on June 21 2002 by Math Nerd Turned Art Student

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is Colorful, Jan. 6 2004
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
For example, the prose reads very poetically and therefore the text flows like a river. The text isn't clumped into large paragraphs but rather usually in stanzas of 2 to five lines each; this helps digest the information.
Albers speaks of: philosophy, music, psychology, and everyday living and at times seems a bit of a philosopher himself. This book helps you see that what is today, was of tomorrow and that a lot of concepts and visual tricks originate from his experiments. In my mind, he is one of the Master teachers.
Also, I felt there were *just* enough examples in color at the back - keep in mind this book was written in the 60's/70's and "plates" were very expensive to produce - to gain and understanding of what Albers is getting at. This book is *not* updated or revised (other than the second plates that Albers choose) and yet is still VERY relevant to today and the understanding of color. Even without all the fancy coloring and graphical treatments, the black text and diagrams are easy and pleasant to the eye.
I also thought I would be reading *something else* about color, such as the psychology of color and what color means and I got a bit of that but also so much more. In addition, I learned the ability to *think for myself* in regards to the color I see around me and I understand the *logic* of color now.
Well, I won't spoil the book for you and it's certainly a treat to read for those of us who are bored with mediocre writing and thinking.
This is a highly praised book in my library collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squarely between art and science, Dec 11 2001
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
Josef Albers was the Johannes Kepler of color. Kepler spent his life observing planetary motion, and distilling his observations down to simple laws of gravity. Change planets to color, and gravity to human vision, and you have Josef Albers. This book describes the gravitational laws of color. It has the whiff of simple perfection: you can't change one word without diminishing it. It is the bible of color interaction, and will remain so until an Isaac Newton comes along and explains these laws further.
In the rare book collection, I had a look at the first edition, from 1963. It's this enormous book with lots of colored paper and plates for you to experiment with. I really wish it were still in print... I'd buy it at once.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interact without Color, June 21 2002
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
How can someone put this title on a book and then exclude color examples? To really appreciate what Albers is trying to tell you, you must have examples to lay side-by-side and this paperback does not facilitate that. So I went to the public library to examine the hardback edition, all 20+ pounds of it. And guess what. The text is without examples. But there is a collection of colored paper appendicies that you can use to follow his examples. So buy the paperback and get a package of assorted colored paper and you may succeed in comprehending what Albers is trying to tell us.
He apparently spent his entire career thinking about this subject and he has insights that are very valuable. Unfortunately his writing style reminded me of a few philosophy classes I slept through in college. You have to work very hard to capture the flavor of all of his thinking and observations. If I am pesistent and frequently consume small portions, maybe in time I will feast on his experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting!!, June 11 2003
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
This book was so different from what I thought it was about when I ordered it. It still was knowledgeable. It is hard to grasp as you must actually do the experimentation. I also thought the illustrations should be in color since that is what the book is about. It has some examples in the beginning of the book but I hate to keep looking around in books I personally like it to appear in front of me as I read. It was a very interesting book to say the least.

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful, but original Hardcover was better, Feb. 26 2004
"samhr1966" (on that long road to the middle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
Having experienced the original hardcover version, and having been given the task of going through the excersizes given in the book, the softcover version is useful, but not nearly as comprehensive and in depth as the original hardcopy.
Still a worthwhle read from a master theorist!
Better than a good read is to get a hold of a packet of Colored Paper and replicate some of the assignments in the book. Best way to learn.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good poetry - Needs more plates, July 11 2001
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
When originally published, Albers' book had 150 plates. Not surprising for a treatise on the use of color in art. However, when you chop it down to 10 color plates, as is the case with this "pocket" volume, something is lost. Never-the-less, Albers is clearly a master of this topic, and his poetic prose is inspiring. Let's hope that the original volume is reprinted at some point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent study of Colors, Dec 2 1999
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
This is a book for everyone who like to dive into the wonderful world of colors. Josef revealed and explained almost all cases of color study. If you've read the books of Newton or Goethe. Josef will be the one of creating color theories and setting the pace for different art-form(s) in this 20th century. Bravo... it does show you what is the Presence of Absence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Libro de ejercicios practicos, Dec 29 2003
Alyda (Mexico D.F.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
Para conocer la iteracción de los colores es imprescindible la práctica y una buena práctca es este libro; nos lleva mas allá de la teoría del color ubicandonos en la experimentación visual del color por el color mismo. Excelente para cualquier nivel de conocimiento.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, June 25 2002
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
I really liked the book, but it is more of a teachers manual than a book you can just pick up a read. You must do the experimentation yourself and so you must have time. The book did give me numerous new ideas to think about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, June 26 2013
This review is from: Interaction of Color: Revised Edition (Paperback)
I followed up from another source. Not exactly what I expected. Book was a bit worn- clearly a second hand book but readable. Some stains.

Interaction of Color: Revised Edition
Interaction of Color: Revised Edition by Josef Albers (Paperback - Sept. 10 1975)
Used & New from: CDN$ 11.90