5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious in every way!
Published on May 4 2011 by V. Buttino

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifull pictures
Great pictures of the collection that was show in MET. If you are looking for an autobiography type of book though, this one is not for you.
Published 15 months ago by Veronica Chiu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious in every way!, May 4 2011
V. Buttino (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
This is what I've been waiting for :D Alexander McQueen has been my favourite designer for nigh on ten years now and I was incredibly saddened to hear of his passing last year. There were a couple hardcover books that came out right after his death, but neither one of them got good reviews so I didn't bother buying any of them. Then I heard that the Met was planning on hosting an exhibit in McQueen's honour and I knew there'd be a companion guide released to coincide with the opening. I pre-ordered the book a couple weeks ago and just received it in the post this afternoon. What a stunning work of art! Great quality paper, great hollographic cover, superb shots of the clothing on display (all on mannequins) and lovely, spirited quotes from the man himself. There is quite a lengthy interview at the end of the book with McQueen's current creative director Sarah Burton (fresh from her success in designing Catherine Middleton's wedding gown).

If you're a fan of Alexander McQueen (or of fashion in general), you MUST have this book. You will NOT be sorry you purchased it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, May 4 2011
N. Shible "The Lime Shop" (Oakville, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this book only knowing it was published by the MET and that Tim Blanks was a contributor.

I was blown away when it arrived. The cover itself is a work of art with the hologram of McQueen and the skull. I can't bear to put it on my bookshelf and so it sits on my coffee table.

I love how the focus is on the clothes (on mannequins) and not of a runway or fashion spread setting. This allows you to truly focus on the details of each piece without distraction. Another beauty, the quotes from McQueen as to what inspired the pieces.

This book is a must for any McQueen fan. Also nice: the price point is not bad at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Must see the exhibit., July 29 2011
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
This book is so beautiful and worth every penny. I had the pleasure of seeing the exhibit in NYC and this book a perfect keep sake. For anyone who isn't able to see the exhibit then this is a great book to have to enjoy the experience. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars PURE GENIUS!!, April 4 2012
BABYJANEHUDSON (North Vancouver B.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
Love this book and loved Alexander Mcqueen amazing stunning talent as one of the worlds best fashion designer !! This is one of my favorite coffee table books that I don't want people to touch. But I do display it. I feel I even have to wear white gloves reading through it myself.

I think I'll order a second one for safe keeping. They come all sealed up tight so nothing can get damaged.

Beautifully strong well "made in Italy" book. Love the striking hologram cover. Which also makes for an instant collectors book edition. Lots to read and plenty of cool fashion to see.

Great price point at Amazon. BRAVO!! I recommend you snap one up before no more hologram issues are left.

Gone to soon R.I.P. Alexander

4.0 out of 5 stars Context is Everything, Nov. 30 2013
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
Alexander McQueen’s incredible influence can be attributed to smashing convention and challenging people to rethink the status quo. He took fashion out of its own realm by expressing ideas through his design. His work confronted race, class, sexuality, religion, and the environment. The book coincided with the wildly successful exhibition at The Metropolitan Museum of Art (my daughter and I tried getting in to no avail given the crowds). McQueen was a technical innovator who knew how to employ theater and extravagance to deliver incredible runway presentations that showed his works of art in the superb creative context.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any McQueen or Fashion admirer, Jan. 15 2013
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
Any admirer of Alexander McQueen will love this book! The photography is fantastic, especially because the mannequins are so life like. Even if you are not a McQueen fan his tailoring is exquisite. The interview with McQueen's assistant at the end gives you an insight into McQueen's process. If you have a McQueen fan that you are buying a gift for this is the book! (if they don't already have it!) I prefer it to the McQueen book with the red dress on the cover as that book is very informative, but has very few pictures. This book is chalked full of pictures and has a good amount of information about McQueen.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book, Dec 12 2012
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
Alexander McQueen was one my favorite designers, so I didn't think twice about ordering it, and I received it quickly in pristine condition. The holographic outside cover alone sold me, but the pictures inside are gorgeous quality. I am still surprised at the price of this book, as I would have expected it to be at least twice as much, so I feel it is a great value for a beautiful piece. I now display it proudly in my home. Ironically, because of the price it's my least expensive coffee table book, but it's by far my favorite. If you appreciate McQueen or just fashion in general, don't hesitate to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ravished by the Savage, Aug. 8 2011
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
This book is a treasure. After experiencing this incredible, mind altering exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum in New York, it is marvelous to now own this book, which is beautifully designed and photographed, to go back to time and again. Although nothing can recreate the psychological impact or the visceral thrill of experiencing the exhibition, this volume packs it's own punch. As an avid book collector I was also pleasantly surprised that it is reasonably priced, making it a must have item for any art or fashion enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and perfect, June 17 2011
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
I bought the book before going to see the show (twice!) at the Metropolitain Museum. It is a very well done book on McQueen's work and recalls the Met show perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remembering McQueen, June 24 2012
This review is from: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty (Hardcover)
This book is a stunning reminder of or introduction to the work of the now departed Alexander McQueen. Based on a 2011 show of his work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the stark photography and the manikins chosen highlight the structural order of his designs. For sewers or fashionistas, the books heavy paper and fine production as well as the rather startling hologram cover, make it all well worth the purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty
Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty by Andrew Bolton (Hardcover - May 31 2011)
CDN$ 63.08 CDN$ 39.19