5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely incredible
As an avid fan of rock scholarship (oxymoronical as some still consider the term), I've read many a bio and interpretive book through the years, and I have to say that this one, hands down, is the absolute most amazing one I've ever come across. Only Dylan - with his 40+ albums, 4-decade career, half a thousand songs, countless gigs, and sheer depth of material - could be...
Published on Dec 6 2001 by Bill R. Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars years waiting and so sad
I looked forward to this book being published for years. I bought the hardback copy I am so disappointed. The book is nothing other than meaningless conjecture and analysis (even if it is well researched?). Two decades on and what we have here is a work that is 'just bigger and more extravagant' than the original S&D Man book. This is a shame really from a writer...
Published on March 1 2000 by organised

5.0 out of 5 stars Vade mecum, goes all the way from blues to visionary stars.., March 13 2004
Rob Wilson (Santa Cruz and Honolulu) - See all my reviews
If asked at the pearly gates, who was the best poet you ever encountered in your days on earth, I would not hesitate to say with great gladness, Bob Dylan, him of the sacred heart. And if Saint Peter pressed me for the best book of cultural criticism I had encountered in relation to poetry and religious vision, I would say Michael Gray's Song & Dance Man 3: the Art of Bob Dylan, and just sit there in mute prayer and lyric praise. This book gives back to the Dylan visionary blues project much of the joy and politics that went into its lifelong creation, see the chapter on Willy Mctell as "Willy Mctell," santa cleopatra there is nothing more to say on these ghostly trails of poesy, love, and theft. I will just give praise and 10 stars if I could.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long-Winded and Heavy on the Religion, April 19 2000
Here is an example of why this book is 900 pages long: "Verse two begins with this compelling, audacious, witty, idiosyncratic, fresh, imaginative and playful line...."
Similarly, to make the not very interesting point that one of Bob's songs uses the same meter as some Blake poems, Gray quotes 4 separate passages from that poetry, taking up almost a page to do what should have been done in a few lines.
There are thoughtful observations in this book, but a better writer could have conveyed them all in half the space.
Also, Gray makes constant reference to the Bible, something which will gall the many listeners who hate religion-based interpretations of Bob's work.

Song and Dance Man III: The Art of Bob Dylan
Song and Dance Man III: The Art of Bob Dylan by Michael Gray (Hardcover - Nov. 1999)
Out of stock