Published on July 3 2008 by Samantha

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Meet my Expectations
Published on Aug. 4 2008 by MacFly

4.0 out of 5 stars An intellectual and emotional study of a genius/hermit/outcast, July 3 2008
Samantha "Critical Reader" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Other (Hardcover)
The Other got under my skin immediately. It isn't a light read for the beach, but worth the slight effort to get to know John William Barry, the narrator's best friend. Anyone who has longed to pack it all in and escape to the woods will savour this story. Guterson's language is beautiful, somewhat scholarly, occasionally a little ambitious; it is obviously a literary novel, not pulp fiction. His, and his characters' love of the west coast terrain is evident in the descriptions of the treks through the Cascades and the Hoh rainforest. It is very evocative; I feel like I've walked the South Fork Hoh despite never setting foot in Washington state. I must admit that I was tempted to skim the book after the climax, thinking the book was more or less over, but I'm glad I persevered because, in many ways, the last pages make the book whole and makes John William's choices make more sense. Even an extended section of poetry excepts (that I admit to finding a bit tedious at the time) has a purpose in the tying up of loose ends. My one criticism is that there are a couple of references that are historically off by a few years; I find that distracting. However, I eagerly recommend this book to literary types, especially those with a love of the wild.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Meet my Expectations, Aug. 4 2008
MacFly (Regina, Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other (Hardcover)
The Other is the first book I have read by David Guterson. Unfortunately, it is likely the last. The story centers around two men who become friends in university. One becomes a hermit living in the woods while the other continues to visit and befriend him for many years. When the hermit dies, he leaves a fortune to his friend. The author uses very verbose language with many pages not having a single paragraph break. I found this a bit overwhelming and, overall, the story was very slow. Now at the end of the book, I am not really even sure what the point of the book was. I truly enjoy most books that I read. I can appreciate the writing ability of the author but I didn't enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Sept. 7 2010
This review is from: The Other (Paperback)
The book was delivered in excellent condition in just a couple of days. Can't ask for more than that!

ARRAY(0xb6976aa4)

The Other
The Other by David Guterson (Paperback - June 2 2009)
CDN$ 17.50 CDN$ 12.64