5.0 out of 5 stars Why I Work in the Detox Unit of a Treatment Center
Published on April 29 2003 by Clare G. Stella

3.0 out of 5 stars Her Highness Oprah
Published on Feb. 20 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I Work in the Detox Unit of a Treatment Center, April 29 2003
Clare G. Stella "Word Lover" (Rockland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Read this book and you may understand why. James Frey's wonderful, dark, and truthful portrait of addiction and the infinitely small possibility of recovery is one of the most honest portrayals of drug addiction that I have ever read. It's not a pretty story as no true story of addiction can be. Frey writes about the gritty reality of life on drugs and never once attempts to glorify any of it. His story is sad, honest, frustrating. Vomit and snot and rage. Victims, brutality, and very little in the way of hope. Frey is a Substance Abuse Counselor's nightmare - he refuses to play by the rules, he won't attempt to "go along and get along", he often bites the hand that feeds him. His addiction is a living thing residing in his head like a monster with huge bloodied teeth. I loved this book. Read it, feel it, learn from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Of the three, May 22 2006
This review is from: A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
Our book club recently picked three very good books. Okay, great books. And of these three, A MILLION LITTLE PIECES was probably our favorite. And yes, we went into it with eyes wide open, knowing that it was once stated as being true and now is at least partial fiction. The account, journey, or whatever you want to call it, whether real or not, is expertly portrayed.
The sad thing is, this is just as good a fiction read as it was/is supposed to be as "truth." Knowing (or not) how the world works, I don't blame Frey for this "switch" that was done--I'm sure he didn't have as much to do with it as some might suspect. Which leads me to one of the other books that our club thought was great. "Katzenjammer" by Jackson McCrae. We had no idea what this one was going to be about, but guess what? I was about the BOOK PUBLISHING INDUSTRY! And we read it right after AMLP. It couldn't have been more eye-opening, for it told us how things get made into books and what someone (one person in this case) has had to do to "get in." I highly recommend this one--Katzenjammer--as a companion book to AMLP. The third book we read was called "Naked" by Sedaris, and it was extremely funny and knowing. I recomend all three, but AMLP just left me, well . . . blown away. HIGHLY recommended truth or not!

4.0 out of 5 stars The hard truth but with no answers., Sept. 24 2005
Tracy Stillman "Space Cadet" (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
This is an absorbing gritty novel that I found very hard to put down, but also found myself wondering about. The author lays the awful truth of drug addiction on the line, along with hard truth that the addict must face when going through detox, but there does not seem to be any conclusion beyond "this is what happened." I would like to know more about why, at least why the author thinks this happened to him. The book deserves the praise it is getting, it is well written, but it is kind of like watching a car wreck. You want to look away but can't, and then there are no answers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good read, regardless of the level of truth, Feb. 23 2006
This review is from: A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
In light of what has happened regarding Mr. Frey's two books, I feel the responsibility for fact checking is the responsibility of Doubleday and also of Oprah's staff. I feel that Mr. Frey got caught up in all that there is with having a best selling book. Yes, he should not have lied but his books needed to be classified in another category and again the responsibility of the publisher. This is not the first time that this has happened with publishing corporations. Mr. Frey was used as a scapgoat and publicly humiliated. I read Million Little Pieces and bought copies for several people and have just purchased My Friend Leonard. I will continue to read all the books that Mr. Frey writes, still, I can't imagine why people haven't figured out "what's going on" in the publishing world and places such as Hollywood. A good example is McCrae's book "katzenjammer" which tells exactly this sort of thing-what someone has to go through to get their book published and then what "they" do to it to sell it. Or the book "The Man who invented Rock Hudson" is another which shows the inside workings of the corporations and their lack of ethics, etc. I would recommend the following books to see how people really got where they are: "The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson" and McCrae's "Katzenjammer." And I would still recommmend AMLP whether or not you believe everything in it. Still a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful story, Feb. 21 2007
This review is from: A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
This outstanding memoir by James Frey's articulating his struggles to put his pathetic , addicted, broken life back together is written with such realness that most addicts can relate to it. One gets awed from the beginning by the author's writing skills as well as the gripping nature of the story. Not only has it so many lessons in it, I also find it inspirational. Like SMASHED, or The Oaf in the book USURPER AND OTHER STORIES, A MILLION LITTLE PIECES easily brings tears, sighs, laughter and phew in different turns.

3.0 out of 5 stars Her Highness Oprah, Feb. 20 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
I was extremely dissapointed in Oprah for her shameful treatment of the author. All authors make embelishments. She felt the need to embarass this man in front of the world, in order to distance herself from (silly) publicity. I think Oprah made herself look like Jerk. This took away from all the good that she does. She should have let it go. I read a review that said this book did what it was exactly supposed to do - give the reader a quiet afternoon with a page turner. !

5.0 out of 5 stars To the Extreme, Feb. 2 2005
There is something about "A Million Little Pieces" that makes you have to keep reading no matter how much it churns your stomach. It's that phenomenon like watching a car wreck. We have to watch. This guy destroyed his life with his addictions. You squirm when you read it. Think "Requiem for a Dream" or "My Fractured Life". It is EXTREMELY graphic. It is EXTREMELY vivid. AND it is EXTREMELY good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8 2014
J. graydon "real reader" (toronto ontario) - See all my reviews
Fraud!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 8 2014
Very good book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, April 22 2014
It just went on and on and on repeated the same thing a couple of times in a row got monotonous real quick.

A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club)
A Million Little Pieces (Oprah's Book Club) by James Frey (Paperback - Sept. 22 2005)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 9.90