4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stories, Incomplete Analysis
Without doubt, "Born to Run" is a book that will entertain you, teach you a thing or two that you didn't know before, and get you thinking about joining the next marathon near you. The book is divided into two parts: one part narrative on ultra-runners, the Tarahumara people, and the incredible long distance race you've never heard of; the second part is an...
Published on Aug. 13 2009 by Coach C

3.0 out of 5 stars Entewrtaining but unconvincing
As an anthropologist who has lived and done research in rural Mexico and as a moderate runner, I agree with other reviewers that this book is entertaining and very well-written. It has all of the elements of much earlier travelogues -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good is that it is an interesting narrative brought to life through a series of interesting...
Published on Aug. 25 2011 by don Goyo

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired Runner, Aug. 24 2012
This review is from: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Paperback)
i was running my first marathon when I read this book. The only unfortunate part about reading this book was that I was reading it during my taper period. This book just made me want to run long distances and often!

It is a very inspiring book and I contribute it to help motivate me to run my first 50km event. I plan to go further as well!

McDougall writes from the 'every person' perspective. Coming off several injuries himself, he can relate to other runners and they can relate to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best running book I've read in a long time, March 4 2012
I found this book particularly compelling, especially with regard to the thought provoking debate about which is better for my running health: barefoot/minimalist footwear versus modern running shoes. There is also an interesting review of the possible evolutionary path humans took to rank among the greatest endurance species on Earth. The story eluded to in the subtitle is only part of the book and it too is rather interesting. I also enjoyed the various glimpses into the history of ultrarunning. As someone is just beginning a new training regime in order to nurse a chronically injured knee back onto the trail, "Born to Run" was a fine source of motivation. I must admit that I was swayed by the arguments in the book and will be trying out some minimalist footwear as soon as the snow and cold weather allow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running book, Feb. 19 2012
Well written, informative and a great narrative. Really makes me believe in barefoot running. All around one the best reads of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate motivator, Jan. 29 2012
If you are a runner, this book will inspire you to run more than ever before and to do it properly and injury free. If you aren't a runner you may become one or at least you will be extremely motivated. This book reminds us how truly amazing the human body is and how much we can do if we step away from modern society and challenge ourselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still good reading, Aug. 7 2014
Liked it, didn't love it. Very different experience though and quite interesting, but it's hard to relate to it as a runner as it's so different...

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping me reading!, July 28 2014
I'm so captivated by this book! I'm usually into more murder mystery books, but this one is just so good I can't put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Very Inspirational, Nov. 15 2011
This is a great read. If you love running you will spend the entire read alternating between nodding, smiling and wanting to go for a long trek. If you don't love running, you will still love this book and will probably think about going for a slow run afterwards.
I am taking a star off only because I found it romanticizing the poverty of the Taramuhara but in the end it is not a political book, it is a tale of running.
I really recommend this book to anyone who loves a good yarn mixed with anecdotal inspiration, scientific journalism and some great characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all athletes., May 26 2011
I am not a runner. In fact every time I try running I am seized with back pain that can last days. However, I found this book fascinating, from the evolution of the running shoe, to the lonely tribe in Mexico that runs for days just for fun. If you are an athlete, this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Non-Fiction Book I've Read So Far in 2009, July 13 2009
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"If you have run with footmen and they have tired you out,
Then how can you compete with horses?" -- Jeremiah 12:5

Born to Run is an exceptional book -- intriguing, surprising, and continually compelling. The writing exceeds what most of the best fiction thriller and suspense writers ever achieve. Run, don't walk, to get your copy!

From little things, large things sometimes emerge. Author Christopher McDougall couldn't find out why his feet hurt after running. His search for the answer took him way beyond the doctor's office and the usual cortisone shots into a world of people who run for days at a time in dangerous conditions without injury. I won't spoil the story by telling you what he learned, but he's a master storyteller who will keep you spellbound by his stories about running, runners, and those who train and "help" them.

I didn't know what to expect when I started this book, but I was satisfied more then ten times over with what I received. I had been an avid runner as a teenager but hadn't done much in a long time due to shin splints. Recently, I discovered that soft ground and spongy tracks allowed me to run again without shin-splint pain. I was quite surprised to see that after over 40 years without running I was running as well or better than I ever had. What was that all about? This book contained the answer . . . one that may surprise you.

If you love great stories about the indomitable spirit that lives in some people, enjoy dreaming about doing the seemingly impossible, or just want to be thrilled by mind-blowing accomplishment, this book is for you. If speculating about anthropology and evolution fascinate you, you have a treat here as well.

And don't be surprised if you develop an urge to run . . . without stopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, educational, inspirational, a refreshing view on running., Aug. 31 2009
Bruce W. Klimpke (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
If you have ever thought about running, currently running, having foot problems, or just want a refreshing look at how running could affect your everyday life this book is a must. I find any great book is hard to put down once I start reading it. This was one of them. The mixture of humorous moments, the flow of the storyline, and the scientific bits are mixed in a manner that never lets the book get boring. The varied characters in the book mix well with the story line so there are a lot if interesting twists and turns. I especially found the latter half of the book very engaging once the plot was set.

Bruce Klimpke