4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stories, Incomplete Analysis
Without doubt, "Born to Run" is a book that will entertain you, teach you a thing or two that you didn't know before, and get you thinking about joining the next marathon near you. The book is divided into two parts: one part narrative on ultra-runners, the Tarahumara people, and the incredible long distance race you've never heard of; the second part is an...
Published on Aug. 13 2009 by Coach C

3.0 out of 5 stars Entewrtaining but unconvincing
As an anthropologist who has lived and done research in rural Mexico and as a moderate runner, I agree with other reviewers that this book is entertaining and very well-written. It has all of the elements of much earlier travelogues -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good is that it is an interesting narrative brought to life through a series of interesting...
Published on Aug. 25 2011 by don Goyo

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate motivator, Jan. 29 2012
This review is from: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Paperback)
If you are a runner, this book will inspire you to run more than ever before and to do it properly and injury free. If you aren't a runner you may become one or at least you will be extremely motivated. This book reminds us how truly amazing the human body is and how much we can do if we step away from modern society and challenge ourselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Very Inspirational, Nov. 15 2011
This is a great read. If you love running you will spend the entire read alternating between nodding, smiling and wanting to go for a long trek. If you don't love running, you will still love this book and will probably think about going for a slow run afterwards.
I am taking a star off only because I found it romanticizing the poverty of the Taramuhara but in the end it is not a political book, it is a tale of running.
I really recommend this book to anyone who loves a good yarn mixed with anecdotal inspiration, scientific journalism and some great characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all athletes., May 26 2011
I am not a runner. In fact every time I try running I am seized with back pain that can last days. However, I found this book fascinating, from the evolution of the running shoe, to the lonely tribe in Mexico that runs for days just for fun. If you are an athlete, this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Non-Fiction Book I've Read So Far in 2009, July 13 2009
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"If you have run with footmen and they have tired you out,
Then how can you compete with horses?" -- Jeremiah 12:5

Born to Run is an exceptional book -- intriguing, surprising, and continually compelling. The writing exceeds what most of the best fiction thriller and suspense writers ever achieve. Run, don't walk, to get your copy!

From little things, large things sometimes emerge. Author Christopher McDougall couldn't find out why his feet hurt after running. His search for the answer took him way beyond the doctor's office and the usual cortisone shots into a world of people who run for days at a time in dangerous conditions without injury. I won't spoil the story by telling you what he learned, but he's a master storyteller who will keep you spellbound by his stories about running, runners, and those who train and "help" them.

I didn't know what to expect when I started this book, but I was satisfied more then ten times over with what I received. I had been an avid runner as a teenager but hadn't done much in a long time due to shin splints. Recently, I discovered that soft ground and spongy tracks allowed me to run again without shin-splint pain. I was quite surprised to see that after over 40 years without running I was running as well or better than I ever had. What was that all about? This book contained the answer . . . one that may surprise you.

If you love great stories about the indomitable spirit that lives in some people, enjoy dreaming about doing the seemingly impossible, or just want to be thrilled by mind-blowing accomplishment, this book is for you. If speculating about anthropology and evolution fascinate you, you have a treat here as well.

And don't be surprised if you develop an urge to run . . . without stopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, educational, inspirational, a refreshing view on running., Aug. 31 2009
Bruce W. Klimpke (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
If you have ever thought about running, currently running, having foot problems, or just want a refreshing look at how running could affect your everyday life this book is a must. I find any great book is hard to put down once I start reading it. This was one of them. The mixture of humorous moments, the flow of the storyline, and the scientific bits are mixed in a manner that never lets the book get boring. The varied characters in the book mix well with the story line so there are a lot if interesting twists and turns. I especially found the latter half of the book very engaging once the plot was set.

Bruce Klimpke

4.0 out of 5 stars born to run, Nov. 1 2009
Gregg Meikle - See all my reviews
very entertaining story with some fascinating insights into our "running roots" . Very appealing to runners and non runners alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Born to Run, Sept. 23 2009
Ed (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
One of the best books (if not the best) I've read this year! I am a light runner (30-60 mins/day) and this book has given me an entirely new perspective on running! Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Want to Run All The Time Now!, July 18 2009
Neil Wilson (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
[...]
WOW! WOW!
I and my wife have really enjoyed this book!
I first listened to the audio of the book from Audible.com, fantastic listen, well read, but I was planning a road trip of 2500 miles and wanted my wife to know what Mr. McDougall had to say. So we bought the book from the fine people at Amazon, it arrived exactly on the day we left on the trip and we read it to each other.
Both my wife and I are now running like we did twenty years ago, and loving it.
To improve my running and follow Mr. McDougall's plan I've ordered "Evolution Running DVD Run Faster with Fewer Injuries" by Ken Mierke and "Healty Intelligent Training: The Proven Principles of Arthur Lydiard" by Keith Livingston - All from Amazon
Thank you Mr. McDougall for introducing us to the Tarahumara, Mr. Blanco, Barefoot Ted etc!!!!
I read the reviews on Amazon before buying this book.
One review was critical of the description of the races!
What planet did this guy/gal come from?
Those are some of the best parts.
Mr. McDougall makes these races live and jump (run) off the printed page.
If you want to get the love of running or reawaken it, BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 14 2011
Michel Morel (Quebec City, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Great story. Easy to read. Written in a relaxed way as if the author was telling his story to you, as a friend. Lots of info on running. As a seldom reader, I went trough it pretty fast. Very good discovery for the runner I am! Good entertainment as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, March 29 2011
Highly entertaining and informative book. I read it based on suggestions from two colleagues. I'm not a runner, but it made me want to start running. You can read it to learn or to be entertained.

ARRAY(0xb8c55300)