5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fun, fun!, Aug. 16 2013
This review is from: Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks (Paperback)
Want to know the game better? Want to have more fun watching those games on TV? A true fan share well his love for the sport!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't miss home run, March 29 2013
Great book. For any type of ball fan. I'm a lifelong baseball fan who watches well over 100 games a season and I loved this book. I find it hard to believe that hard ball fans of every type would not totally enjoy this read. Parts of it may need an update since it was written in '07, but all in all it's a great piece of work. Informative, funny, and easy to navigate. Everyone who picks it up, from non baseball fans to hardcores, always end up checking it out for awhile. Many have ordered it right away. Hample has done a great job here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go from Beginning Watcher to Vivid Describer of the Action, Sept. 18 2007
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Watching Baseball Smarter will appeal to youngsters around 9-12 who are eager to grab as much baseball knowledge as possible by attending and watching games on television. For those young people, scoring, colorful terms, and obscure rules can make the game seem more mysterious than it is. At the same time, learn those elements of active watching and a youngster can develop the basics to enjoy being a lifelong fan.

If someone had given me this book at that age, I would have treasured Watching Baseball Smarter above all over gifts I got that at that time. I would have been most thrilled by the illustrations of how the various pitches are thrown.

Remember that observation when you consider if you know any budding fans who would be thrilled to have this book.

As for the claim that the book is also for semi-experts and deeply serious geeks, I don't think so. I didn't see any material that wasn't well known to me by the time I was 15. And I was hardly a semi-expert or a deeply serious geek. I just enjoyed watching and attending the games.

Don't give this book to a serious baseball fan; you'll embarrass yourself if you do.

Here are few questions to test your ability to enjoy the book:

1. What is the infield fly rule?

2. What is a double switch?

3. What is a catcher's earned run average?

4. What is a safety squeeze?

5. How do you keep score?

If know all five, this book isn't for you. If you know four, you'll get an occasional nugget from the book. If you know three or fewer, this book is a good choice for you.

On this reading, the main pleasure was from remembering when I first learned the material and from an occasional bit of trivia that was new to me. The former pleasure was what kept me reading, and I was disappointed that the book was aimed mostly at an elementary level . . . having found the subtitle to be misleading in terms of the book's relevance for me.

Play ball!

4.0 out of 5 stars gret book, Aug. 2 2010
i always wanted to know more about the game. this book makes a lot of sense.
Al