summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry

Watching Baseball Smarter will appeal to youngsters around 9-12 who are eager to grab as much baseball knowledge as possible by attending and watching games on television. For those young people, scoring, colorful terms, and obscure rules can make the game seem more mysterious than it is. At the same time, learn those elements of active watching and a youngster can develop the basics to enjoy being a lifelong fan.

If someone had given me this book at that age, I would have treasured Watching Baseball Smarter above all over gifts I got that at that time. I would have been most thrilled by the illustrations of how the various pitches are thrown.

Remember that observation when you consider if you know any budding fans who would be thrilled to have this book.

As for the claim that the book is also for semi-experts and deeply serious geeks, I don't think so. I didn't see any material that wasn't well known to me by the time I was 15. And I was hardly a semi-expert or a deeply serious geek. I just enjoyed watching and attending the games.

Don't give this book to a serious baseball fan; you'll embarrass yourself if you do.

Here are few questions to test your ability to enjoy the book:

1. What is the infield fly rule?

2. What is a double switch?

3. What is a catcher's earned run average?

4. What is a safety squeeze?

5. How do you keep score?

If know all five, this book isn't for you. If you know four, you'll get an occasional nugget from the book. If you know three or fewer, this book is a good choice for you.

On this reading, the main pleasure was from remembering when I first learned the material and from an occasional bit of trivia that was new to me. The former pleasure was what kept me reading, and I was disappointed that the book was aimed mostly at an elementary level . . . having found the subtitle to be misleading in terms of the book's relevance for me.

Play ball!
on March 29, 2013
Great book. For any type of ball fan. I'm a lifelong baseball fan who watches well over 100 games a season and I loved this book. I find it hard to believe that hard ball fans of every type would not totally enjoy this read. Parts of it may need an update since it was written in '07, but all in all it's a great piece of work. Informative, funny, and easy to navigate. Everyone who picks it up, from non baseball fans to hardcores, always end up checking it out for awhile. Many have ordered it right away. Hample has done a great job here.
on July 17, 2015
I don't consider myself an expert on baseball by any means but I found the information in this book fairly basic. Also, quite a few details were out of date as I believe the book was published in 2010 but there have been no updates since (I bought the kindle version). Overall I was disappointed as I breezed through the book in 2 hours. However, if you're a beginner to the game, I recommend the book. For anyone that grew up playing the game, I would pass on this.
on August 16, 2013
Want to know the game better? Want to have more fun watching those games on TV? A true fan share well his love for the sport!
on November 5, 2015
A cornucopia of baseball gems and a delight to browse through.
on May 20, 2016
my boy is a baseball fan. love it
on July 27, 2015
Excellent book and shipping.
on July 28, 2015
Too fluffy. Poor writing.
on May 11, 2016
Great
on August 2, 2010
i always wanted to know more about the game. this book makes a lot of sense.
Al