5.0 out of 5 stars saved~
Published on March 8 2007 by C. Daigle

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Okay
This is an excellent book if:
- you want to spend the first 100-odd pages reading about Cesar's biography. Since I did not know anything about him, I found it very interesting.
- you did not understand the pack theroy as Cesar explains it very well
- if you are already following along his series on TV and the book helps as a reminder and guide...
Published on June 27 2008 by Lisa E

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars saved~, March 8 2007
C. Daigle "Kindred12" (Canada) - See all my reviews
I am saved!....I do wish this philosophy had been taught when my 8-year-old dog was a puppy but once I began using this method my little terror changed her dominating ways and happily relinquished her throne as the queen of the house!... A definite must read for anyone with a dog or planning on getting a dog. It is not a training book but rather a way of thinking that will change the relationship with your dog more than any amount of dog training could do.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, Jan. 20 2007
This book is fantastic. I was recommended to buy this book by a friend and upon purchasing I couldn't put the book down. Since reading the book I have gone on to purchase Cesar's DVD which puts into practice what the book tells you to do - it's all common sense but of course we treat our dogs like 'little humans'. Having followed 'Cesar's advice my dogs are extremely well behaved and I look forward to spending time with them. Well worth the read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Okay, June 27 2008
Lisa E (Squamish, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems (Paperback)
This is an excellent book if:
- you did not understand the pack theroy as Cesar explains it very well

I only rated this book a 3 because I do not have access to the TV show as I live in Canada. I purchased to book to learn how to tweak my dog owning skills. Luckily for me (or should I say my dogs) I understand the pack theory.

I was actually quite disappointed with the book. I guess I had other expectations which I should not have had before picking the book up. Cesar spends a lot of time explaining WHAT you should do and he does this well with many examples. What he is vague on and doesn't go into much details are the HOW. I purchased this book because I wanted to know more about HOW I can always been seen as the pack leader; HOW to overcome two dogs that sometimes see me as a leader and sometimes not; HOW to train a subborn puppy not to pull on a leash and how to come on command. Cesar did cover all of these topics but more so on WHAT is important and WHY but not too much on the HOW.

This is just my personal opinion and I still feel it was an excellent book and one I could not put down as it was written in a novel form. It will be hard to use as reference as it isn't broken down like a text book. Again, my own expectations.

But I have never seen Cesar in action so I may still purchase his DVD's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Theory, June 27 2007
This book will be good for people that need their eyes opened to the fact that dogs need rule and limits, and not "love, love ,love"

As I personally read the book I was glad that someone is out there teaching people that their dogs need rules/limits + corrections but I was also glad that I had not bought the book (friend lent it to me), simply because it doesn't really give you instructions on how to put them in to practice in day to day living. For example the book will say not to tolerate something but doesn't tell you how to correct it.

It is good beginning theory for those that are removed from the fact that dogs are dogs and so I think it is important for people to read. But I think there needs to be something more, in the way of instructions, to know how to apply it. But I did notice just today that Cesar Millan has written another book called "Be the Pack Leader" and it looks like it might be that book. So if you already know that you need to be the leader and that a dog is a dog and need a stable pack skip "Cesar's Way" and go for the second book! Happy Reading :oD

2.0 out of 5 stars This dog has some bad habits that we need to correct, July 21 2014
Wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I wanted step by step instructions on how to train a new dog in our family, who was a stray. This dog has some bad habits that we need to correct. Although the book had some ideas it unfortunately was not what we needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cesar is truly the Dog Whisperer, Oct. 16 2007
Paul E. Laferriere "+ Eva Wong" (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I think Cesar is the first one who ever used "energy" as a major tool in communicating with your dog. It really does work and explain why dogs behave in certain ways.

Yes, there's a bit of name-dropping in the book, but at the same time, we can't discredit how great he is with dogs. So to look at it from a different perspective, we all face the similar problems when raising our dogs, whether we are celebs or not. Moreover, it's just a matter of fact that he had had those celebrity clients, whom the public have heard of or know a little about, making it easier for people to relate to.

You just have to admit that he has a genuine concern and love for dogs unlike the dude in "Under the Leash." I personally really like Cesar's approach. I think it's a breakthrough for humans, in terms of knowing more about our dogs.

I was really touched by the introduction. It was just a beautiful biography of Cesar. This is a book everyone will enjoy......

~Eva

5.0 out of 5 stars A philosophy of Dog Training, not a Manual, Sept. 26 2009
Bart Breen "Bart Breen" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I listened to this book in CD form and found it to be both entertaining and excellent.

First, if you're looking for a training manual on how to teach your dog basic obedience, this is not the book for you. Save yourself a lot of time and frustration if that is your expectation.

What this is a very well done presentation of the underlying philosophy used by Cesar Milano, "The Dog Whisperer" as to how Dogs "think" and how the common error made by people in assuming that their dogs are like humans leads to very predictable yet very preventable problems.

The tone and pace of the book is very conversational and low key without a lot of technical language. The concepts presented are pure behavioral science however. The book can be summed up in just a few simple maxims:

1. Select a dog suited to your activity level and temperment.

2. Learn and understand the pack mentality of a dog and how you will need to establish yourself as the pack leader before you do anything else.

3. Provide your dog with the exercise needed so you have a physically and emotionally healthy dog and then work with the dog when it is tired so you do not have to work harder than necessary.

4. Be aware that affection will positively reinforce whatever behavior your dog is exhibiting when you give the affection.

5. If you have an unbalanced dog, begin changing your approach to a healthier one to correct the situation. If your dog represents a threat to yourself or others use the services of a professional to reclaim and redirect your dog as needed.

A very common sense approach really and difficult to argue with on many levels. I suspect that there are many who might take issue with the degree of Behavioral reinforcement techniques the Milano recommends and may even categorize what he recommends in this regard as cruel. Frankly, I don't see that, but it is counter-intuitive to what many dog owners do and how they treat their dogs. Even if there is some disagreement with the means and methods employed, there is enough here that any dog owner would do well to listen or read the book. I know despite the fact that I have a very gentle, well behaved and well trained Yellow Labrador Retriever, my view of that dog and how I and my family treat her, will never be completely the same again and so far, my experience tells me that it is a positive change both for us and the dog.

All in all, this is a popular book and one that in my opinion, lives up to its hype.

Bart Breen

5.0 out of 5 stars Your gift is a blessing for all of us, May 29 2014
What an eternal dream to communicate with other species. Cesar you made it possible. Your mission on this Earth is great. God and Mother Nature bless you. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Sept. 22 2013
This was a great reminder on how to interact with dogs. A must read for any current or potential dog owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 27 2013
Very well put together; background and personal stories with specific dogs at the beginning and then simply laid out applications at the end.

I know some people are frustrated by Cesar's methods, but I really think he knows his stuff. There is indeed a "way", a balance in how things work. And if we upset that balance by trying to humanize everything it throws a lot of things out of whack.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›