4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down
This is one of the best books that I have read in a long while. Its descriptions of a zombie holocaust and the worldwide response to it is realistic.

The book is a collection of short stories told as a post war interview of survivors.

Published on Sept. 15 2006 by Terence Tan Co

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
I admit it... I purchased this book due to the hype behind the movie and was very disappointed. It's not what I expected in the least with it being more of a compiled report from around the world as events took place rather than a fluent storyline with a cast of characters you can get behind. And the solution to the Zombie infestation was rather off the wall.
Published 10 months ago by Chris Lahay

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, Sept. 15 2006
Terence Tan Co "tetsuo79" (Vancouver) - See all my reviews

Stories range from all over the world(including outer space)a young soldier who recounts the disastrous battle of Yonkers where "shock and awe" tactics failed in the face of mindless undead hordes to the actions of the Chinese submarine commander.

What surprised me is the great amount of sympathy the reader gets when he reads some of the heart breaking tales in the book and even some of the ironic and even surprise twists that you get after some of the stories(eg. the twist at the end of the one about the inventor of the Redekker plans leaves a lot of questions and is quite unexpected).

Even after two readings, I was left with the feeling that I would like to know more about the world of world war z...Its a feeling rarely found in many a book...

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, Oct. 12 2006
J. Friesen "Avid Reader" (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is essentially a description of a future war with hordes of zombies told via interviews and news clips. Of course, for the narrative, they all take place well after the event, but the collection is enrapturing. Sometimes, some of the best parts of a movie about zombies, are the news clips and interviews the characters see on TV/hear on the radio, and that's basically what this book is all about.

From the interviews with soldiers fighting drug lords in Central Asia and doctors trying to stem the 'disease' in China, to action reports from the front lines of troops fighting the zombies to average citizens telling their tales of survival, it is a collection of anecdotes that are sometimes humourous, terrifying, or just plain intriguing.

A good solid read that kept me turning the pages until late into the night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to expect, June 11 2013
Dennis Madison (Midland, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
While I've had a passing interest in the recent Zombie popularity I never read a Zombie book or saw more than one episode of Walking Dead. The only experience I've had was the original Romero Night of the Living Dead film.
I'd seen World War Z on Amazon before and always considered picking it up, but when the movie came out and the price dropped to $9.99 I decided to pick it up not even sure what to expect. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The narrative of interviewing participants in the war was a little tough to follow at the beginning, but once you got used to the fact that this was a story of the war and not the people I came to really appreciate this form of story telling.
It was one of those books I was anxious to read and was sorry to see end.

4.0 out of 5 stars movie and book, June 23 2014
Spinko Rama (london, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (Paperback)
Never have I seen a movie that is so totally different from the book that I can't see one similarity but luckily both were great. Movie worth watching. Book worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked the book, June 4 2014
Read it many years ago and was really let down by the movie. Seriously, what happened to all the different characters?

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT a traditional novel, Oct. 29 2013
Even though I'm not a fan of zombie fiction, I absolutely loved this book, perhaps exactly because it's not an average zombie fiction. There is no group of survivors from diverse backgrounds holding together in some secure hiding place, not here. World War Z is a meta look at zombie apocalypse, a look from the global perspective. How it started. How people around the world reacted to it, how it spread, how it was contained and ultimately eradicated. Instead of going in depth into experiences of one particular group, World War Z covers dozens of different perspectives and events. It's more like a history book than a novel, and it was a huge pleasure, as a history buff, to look at zombie outbreak from global perspective.

If you are a fan of traditional kind of a zombie story, or if you liked the movie, I DO NOT recommend this book for you. But it is a very original, well-researched and ultimately very satisfying read, and I definitely recommend it overall.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, Sept. 30 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie!!!, Sept. 26 2013
This review is from: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (Paperback)
I Wanted to read this before the movie was released. Like most times, The book is better than the movie!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, Aug. 25 2013
This review is from: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (Paperback)
Bought this book a couple of years ago before the movie was produced. It's definitely better than the movie.
And plus I got the book on sale from Amazon!

Looking for a leisure book, this is it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this a lot - slightly formulaic in places, Aug. 23 2013
Henry Armitage (North Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (Paperback)
Enjoyed this a lot. The plot drew me in and the slow creeping nature of it all combined with fact paced individual elements were good. The author does a good job of making this a human story, and keeping the antagonists (zombies) somewhat distant in the readers mind, even in situations where the narrative has them right in the protagonist's face. I liked this device a lot, it created a real feeling you didn't know what you were facing (as the characters didn't at many points in the book). There were places where you could see things coming but I can overlook this in a book as good as this.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Paperback - Oct. 16 2007)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16