Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on February 14, 2009
This book is far better than any book about zombies has a right to be. A collection of stories, featured documentary style from the survivors of the fictional zombie affliction that nearly destroyed mankind. While the zombie war was fictional, it reads very real throughout this book. You feel as if these stories come from real survivors of a real catastrophy. Funny, clever, horrific - you get it all here. Surprisingly very very good.
on January 18, 2009
Max Brooks does a breathtaking job of rendering a world that has experienced an outbreak. The outbreak of course being zombies. This book dives into the many human factors of a worldwide epidemic/war. It goes into the medical, military, political, and civilian involvements of "World War Z". The book is told through a series of first hand accounts by people who participated and survived the war. Max Brooks does a great job of capturing the emotions and environment of these people...its very descriptive, and makes it feel as if you were there. For zombie lovers, and thriller lovers a like, this is a must read.
on July 16, 2009
If ever there is a zombie outbreak, I will be one of those prepared. Great book for anyone looking to learn from a surprisingly well thought out, fictitious look at the world's response to a zombie outbreak. I'm a fan of zombie fiction, and this book is great in that is takes a look at the responses to the crisis from all around the world, from the point of view of the survivors. A must for anyone who is interested in the genre.
on September 7, 2009
This is the most creative, enjoyable book I have read in a long time. I read fiction, love fantasy and sci-fi, and World War Z was riveting. The story is presented as short interviews to chronicle the Zombie War. Beautiful mix of modern social/political issues with...near extinction by zombies. Wasn't sure what to think about this book, so I took a chance. Loved it. Highly recommended.
on December 15, 2009
I read this book last year, and while I don't really enjoy science fiction, I do like the whole genre of zombie horror. And for about 3 months after I read this, I think my friends got sick of hearing me talk about how great this book was.

There are a few things that make this novel great. One is the fact that it comes across as if the author actually really thought out how a fictional zombie pandemic would look in the real world; How would average people react? How would governments react? What would this look like on the news? How would it spread? How would the world rally itself? The only really fantastical element of the story are the zombies themselves, and aside from that the whole story seemed oddly believable.

Another interesting element of the book is that it doesn't stick to the West or North America. Unlike most zombie lit / movies, we don't just see how it would look as an average American or European. The narrative covers nearly every country you can think of, and not just in an incidental way. Some of the story lines include China, India, Iran, South Africa and former Soviet states, just to name a few.

And above all, at times it was genuinely scary. I don't scare easily, especially when it comes to reading horror (as opposed to watching it). But there were a few times when I was reading this that my eyes went wide. It does a good job at building a sense of panic and tension, and overall it delivers a few good scares. Speaking for myself, there was a section at the beginning of the book involving Canadian troops tracking narcotic smugglers in Afghanistan that made my skin crawl. Let's just say that they find more than heroin traffickers when they bust what appears to be a deserted encampment.

This book is great if you're looking for an entertaining read, highly recommended. Read it before the movie comes out!
on June 21, 2010
It's hard to imagine a more compelling fictional account of the full range of possible events in a worldwide apocalypse. Zombies are the driver, but it is the breadth of storytelling that shines in the book. Very few works of fiction will go as far as the social and cultural aspects of reconstruction. Imagining the Hollywood consultants instructed by their former servants how to properly clean up the mess is priceless. Some stories are captivating because of their personal and emotional renderings, like the dog crews charged with locating wandering zombies and an AWOL submarine unable to decide when they can safely submerge. Many such situations have repercussions that seem obvious in hindsight, but require a remarkable vision to imagine and portray realistically.

The quality of the writing is impeccable and the imagination of the author truly remarkable. Never has the story of an apocalypse conveyed so humanly the variety of experiences created by a world changing event.
on October 29, 2013
Even though I'm not a fan of zombie fiction, I absolutely loved this book, perhaps exactly because it's not an average zombie fiction. There is no group of survivors from diverse backgrounds holding together in some secure hiding place, not here. World War Z is a meta look at zombie apocalypse, a look from the global perspective. How it started. How people around the world reacted to it, how it spread, how it was contained and ultimately eradicated. Instead of going in depth into experiences of one particular group, World War Z covers dozens of different perspectives and events. It's more like a history book than a novel, and it was a huge pleasure, as a history buff, to look at zombie outbreak from global perspective.

If you are a fan of traditional kind of a zombie story, or if you liked the movie, I DO NOT recommend this book for you. But it is a very original, well-researched and ultimately very satisfying read, and I definitely recommend it overall.
on January 12, 2011
I lost interest in zombies years ago - movies, books, comics, everything. Then, my friend insisted I buy this book - plopped it on the counter and dug through my pockets for my wallet. From the first sentence of the introduction, I was hooked. The most fascinating thing about this book is the way the writing style changes with each new character. They are all individuals with different stories and quirks, different wording and language styles. The stories themselves are unique perspectives and incredibly detailed. Not in gore perse but the little things that most authors do not think of. Some stories gave me shivers and some made me feel a bit nauseous and some just scared me enough to keep my lights on well past bedtime.
on January 1, 2011
I was overjoyed to receive this novel as a Christmas present this year and couldn't wait to begin reading it. It came to me very highly recommended for fans of the zombie genre and I must say that it lived up to the hype 100%. At first I was a little unsure simply because the story was told from so many different perspectives but I came to love each and every different character, I almost wanted to read an entire book from each of their perspectives! This method of writing was something I hadn't encountered before and really kept the story moving from cover to cover. It made me laugh, made me cry (well maybe not actually cry) and made me scared.
5 out of 5. Awesome.
on September 10, 2007
One of my most enjoyable reads in 2007. I listened to the audio version, which is also one of the best audiobooks I've ever experienced - the all star voice cast includes Mark Hamill and Alan Alda; I kept thinking..."I know this voice!". A documentary of the alt-history Zombie War, told by the survivors. Not classic literature, but thoroughly engrossing nonetheless, ontologically complete and sometimes just plain fun for boys who like guns.