1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Cookbook!, May 2 2008
Norma Lehmeierhartie (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show (Hardcover)
As a former caterer and still-avid cook, when I saw this book, I grabbed it. I like to read a cookbook--in other words, give me cooking tips, great stories and exciting recipes!

The book begins: "The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who wake up thinking about what they're going to eat for supper, and those that don't. We are decidedly in the former camp; in fact we wake up thinking about what we are going to cook for supper."

I love it!

What I love even more is Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift's philosophy on food: "We feel strongly about local, sustainable,and organic food... This philosophy doesn't come solely from concerns over well-being. It is larger than that. It is about ecology, the survival of rural life, and values."

Amen!

Some highlights:

In salad section, there is a do-it-yourself dressing kit. If you buy bottled dressings, please give this a try--homemade dressing is extremely easy to make and far superior to store-bought.

In soup section, the authors advise how to improvise your own soups.

Basically, the authors seek to teach the reader how to cook and they do a great job. The neat part about cooking is that no matter how experienced you are, there is always more to learn.

I look forward to trying many of the recipes in this beautiful book. The instructions are crystal clear, to boot.

A quote from the book: "I aam not a vegetarian because I love animals. I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

By the author of the award winning book,Harmonious Environment: Beautify, Detoxify and Energize Your Life, Your Home and Your Planet.

ARRAY(0xab159dd4)