5.0 out of 5 stars The best wrestling book of ALL TIME !, Dec 12 2007
This review is from: Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling (Hardcover)
Bret Hart promised a great book and boy did he deliver with his masterpiece. This is simply the best book there is,was and ever will be. You will laugh, cry and be inspired by the journey of the best wrestler of all time. Most of all you get a sense of what he sacrificed to get to where he is today (even the Montreal Screwjob will be seen in a new light given what we read about his journey and how he gave everything for Vince and the WWE only to be betrayed in the end)and how he is a true survivor. You'll finish this apreciating even more this man and thanking the opportunity of having seen him perform and that he managed to come out of the business alive and with his dignity. A true hero, a true class act and role model. He is the Rocky Balboa of the wrestling business.
Thanks Bret for giving me someone I could look up to in my life !

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book!, Nov. 1 2007
Jamie Coville (Kingston, ON. Canada) - See all my reviews
Bret's book is a great, great read. It goes through all the details from his growing up, Stampede Days, Japan, WWF, WCW, his stroke and a bit more. He doesn't pull any punches and the entire book is a shoot. The book praises people who he thought were good workers or good people, and tells the truth about people that weren't and why. This especially includes his own brothers and sisters. Some of which I'm sure will never speak to him again, but I get the impression Bret would rather not have anything to do with them any way.

He also talks about a lot of funny/interesting stories about the various characters he knew. Plenty of stuff about other people too, you'll learn surprising backstage stuff about a variety of wrestlers in here. Bret is also honest about his own flaws. Sex, Drugs, Steroids and Pain Killers. I'm a pretty knowledgeable Bret fan and there was lots of stuff in here that I didn't know. There was some tiny bits of information he wrote about in various columns and revealed in shoot interviews he left out, but none of it is really that important. Still, it's damn near 600 pages so you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The proper goodbye, Oct. 22 2007
Bret Hart gets to set the story straight and say the proper goodbye to friends, foes, and fans alike with this excellent book. Some of the stories are shocking, some quite touching, and all interesting and informative. While so many of his friends and family were destroyed by the business, he managed to get out with dignity and financial stability. An excellent read from the "excellence of execution", and right up there with Foley's first book as the best wrestling book of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's right on, Nov. 8 2007
I loved this excerpt from the book: Keep walking, I told myself, for Davey, Pillman, Curt, Rick, Liz . . . so many of us are gone, so young, and directly on account of the wrestling life. Hell, even Hawk. People told me he had wept like a baby when he heard Stu had died of pneumonia at eighty­three . . . and then Hawk died that very night. One more for the list. And surely not the last.

I reached into my breast pocket and took out my notes, carefully unfolding them on the slippery, polished surface of the oak podium. I surveyed the crowd, my gaze stopping at the young apprentices, Chris Benoit, Edge and Storm, who looked back at me with respectful anticipation. Next I glanced at a company of stalwart ring veterans-The Cuban, Leo, Hito, even Bad ­News-­all more ruminative and melancholy than I'd ever seen them. I read it in their faces, the unspoken truth that burying a man like Stu Hart was truly the end of what we had lived ­for-­and too many had died for.

And then the sight of old Killer Kowalski, in his good suit, transported me back four decades, to before Owen was even born.

I am a survivor with a story to tell. There's never been an accurate account of the history of pro wrestling. All the public knows is what is packaged and sold to them by the industry. Since I'm no longer in the business, I'm in a decent position to tell the truth, without fear of recrimination. With this book, which is based on the audio diary I kept through all my years in wrestling, starting in my early twenties, I want to put you in my shoes so you can experience what pro wrestling was like in my era, through my eyes. It's not my intention to take needless jabs at those who made the journey with me, but I'll pull no punches either. Not here.

With so many professional atheletes come out about steroids and the games that are played behind the scenes, this book is a must.

I highly recommmend this book, along with the novel if you want something totally different

5.0 out of 5 stars Bret Hart....always a class act!, Oct. 16 2007
T. Fowler (IL) - See all my reviews
This book is superb! I live in Illinois, and got my hands on a copy of his book. It was excellent! I've been following Bret's career since I was 13, I'm now 29. This book I believe gives an real honest account of the wrestling business. Great job Bret!

Tina F.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get it, Dec 10 2007
Vincent D. Exp "Vince" (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is the most honest, open and sometimes surprising wrestling bio of them all. Hart's gut wrenching, no holds barred story is one that you will not be able to put down once you pick it up. Bret's journey is a 5 star match from start to finish. This is a must have book, especially for those who grew up with the WWF before the internet age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, March 11 2013
Seb Richer (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
I want to start this review by saying I'm a huge Bret Hart fan. I watched him throughout my youth, and I was even in the stands in the Molson Center (now Bell Center) on November 9th 1997, for the now infamous Montreal screw job.

As a Bret Hart fan, I could not ask for a more complete or entertaining book than Bret's autobiography. Oftentimes with wrestlers, there is the tendency to exaggerate, to highlight only the positives and hide the negative, or blame someone else for them, but Bret doesn't do that. On the contrary, this is the most honest book I've ever read. Bret doesn't try to defend himself, hide what he feels he did wrong or blame others for his mistakes. In the book, Bret admits to constantly cheating on his wife, to taking drugs, steroids and painkillers. He talks at length about his time in the WWF, in the WCW, on his life after wrestling and also on his childhood and his dysfunctional family, no stone is left unturned, no subject is deemed taboo and no punches are pulled. Simply put, this is a wrestling's fan bible, a book that can never be beat, equaled. This book is simply put, the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be, as far as wrestlers' autobiographies are concerned.

A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, Oct. 27 2007
Ross Cooke (Hartlepool, England) - See all my reviews
Bret had an incredible life, so playing out his life in your head is a great ride. By far the most detailed, passionate and interesting wrestling book I've ever read. Absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, May 20 2010
Dominic Z. Joseph (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Its an excellent book. I've finished just over 300 pages so far and also flipped through with bits of the personal obstacles and Hart rivalry until the very end and I don't want to stop reading the book. Bret has portrayed the truth about himself -- the love for the art of Wrestling, the rivalries early on growing up in a household of 12 Kids, the sides the parents would take in such kiddish rivalries, the early story lines n Stampede Wrestling, the struggle to get to where he was without any intimidating physique early on. The race between Davey Boy Smith, the Dynamite Kid and himself early on and how they were big in Japan and things turned a few years later. It also documents important lessons he learned along the way such as "To pace yourself for the long haul" and the book also has insights onto the dark sides -- Unfaithfulness, loneliness on the road, having to work without seeing your family for days, Sex, drugs, steroids, ego clashes between wrestlers, etc.

The tone is narrative and makes a good read for a Hitman fan, who can correlate to the moments watching the angles on the ring. It adds a lot of genuineness since Hart has a professional Wrestling legacy behind him and understands Wrestling pretty well -- what works, what does not. Lots of interesting insight on working some of the best story-lines in the Hitman's career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Detailed but Must-have for a Wrestling Fan, March 6 2014
R. Kang (Scarborough, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
As noted, very detailed. In some ways, somewhat of a slow start. But there is no other wrestling book like this. The details, the wiring, the history behind it.

It is not a fast read like others. More like an Epic (of wrestling books). Really stands out.

Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling
Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling by Bret Hart (Hardcover - Oct. 16 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.77