Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on May 17, 2010
This novel was a great disappointment and not because it couldn't live up to all the hype. Even if it had no award nominations this book falls flat. The minimalistic prose made the story disjointed and prevented any flow. I kept having to stop and backtrack to figure out who or what the author was referring to, or what time frame it was (which was another problem, too much jumping around in time with no clear reason or warning). I was hoping to gain insight into at least Aristotle's character but no and we don't even get a good idea of what the Golden Mean is. At first I thought the author was trying to make the reader identify with Aristotle by making us feel bi-polar with all her vague descriptions and scattered chronology. But there were no sections that illustrated moments of utter clarity to play against.
It was a frustrating read but I persevered hoping it would redeem itself in the end. It didn't. I would have rated it 0 stars but that wasn't an option.
on January 28, 2010
I persevered with this novel until I'd read about two thirds of it, at which point I had to quit reading because the story seemed to be going nowhere and yet jumping from one topic to another nonsensically. Many passages seemed misplaced, without a point, and chronologically confused.
on April 4, 2010
I got hold of this book with great expectations based on all the 5 star reviews and all the award nominations. I am a fan of historical fiction and was hoping for an engrossing account of the relationship between Aristotle and Alexander. Instead, I found a novel with skeletal prose, half of which consisted of foul language. Why do canadian writers think it is fashionable to be stingy with their words and use one word where a few more would be better? And what is the point making half those sparingly used words swears? It gives the impression that people in those days spent all their time cussing at one another. Then there are the graphic descriptions of Aristotle's sex life and that of other paedophiles. One also gets the impression that the greeks and macedonians were predominantly homosexual and, invariably, paedophiles. I am not at all sure they were all these. And these scenes are TOTALLY unnecessary to the story plot. Overall, this book was a diappointment and after browsing through it, I threw it aside as something I don't want to read. I still wonder what all those 5- star reviwers see in it though..............
on July 25, 2012
It has already been pointed out in numerous other posts that the writing is atrocious, so I won't go any further than saying that I agree with those statements.

I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, however, this book was a massive disappointment. The book is poorly researched and historically incorrect. While the author notes that there are some inaccuracies for the purposes of her storyline, the incorrectness goes beyond those noted and was not necessary for the purposes of her story. The author attempted to delve into a topic that historians spend decades studying and was a complete failure at doing so.

My advice: skip it and don't waste your time.
on May 21, 2011
Our book club of nine, well read and educated women were very excited to read this book.
When we met again only 3 of the women had read it all the way through and the 3 of us struggled doing so!
The book we discussed was poorly written and not anything of value came from reading it.
We were amazed that it had so many positive reviews as it is trashy and poorly written.
Don't waste your money on this book.
It's just a bad bad book.